Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's happening to my Ultra White Seats? Tesla won't fix!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My service center uses this to clean white seat. You might want to give it a shot.

Attachments

• 20180802_090706.jpg
    20180802_090706.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 465
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden
Sorry to clarify, in terms of the cleaning, it won't do it. The Sonax stuff is what Tesla told me to use at delivery, and the SC themselves took it in with their in-house detailer trying to clean it but no luck. The only part that could be attributed to cleaning is possibly the blue toning, but the rest is what looks like paint peeling off the seats (the dots on the back and on the arm bar) which is what was concerning and made me think it was the seats that were defective.

• Informative
Reactions: dvssolid
Which seat protector did you have? Manage to get the dye off finally?!

We have a Clek Mat Tgingy and now too afraid to check.

It was a Diono Ultra Mat like this:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diono-40241-Ultra-Mat-Black/dp/B00BFQ5BM0

No, it didn't come off at all (tried all manner of products) but at least the child seat will be permanently on top of it for another 3 years until we change the car. At that point I'll probably have to get it professionally restored. The protector left a grey dye all over the seat base in a nice mesh pattern! Lived and learned, lol.

It was a Diono Ultra Mat like this:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diono-40241-Ultra-Mat-Black/dp/B00BFQ5BM0

No, it didn't come off at all (tried all manner of products) but at least the child seat will be permanently on top of it for another 3 years until we change the car. At that point I'll probably have to get it professionally restored. The protector left a grey dye all over the seat base in a nice mesh pattern! Lived and learned, lol.

Caramba. That's what I have for 3 seats, but it's the newer one that goes all the way up the seat back... and it's black underneath.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I've read all of these stories which is why I just use a towel. A white towel under the carseat. I'm not trusting anything to those other protectors that can melt crap onto my seat, especially in these Texas summers.

Me too now! A seat protector that leaves dye on your seats totally defeats its point. Now just have a white cotton towel under the seat base and no more issues.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Blue jean dye transfer is extremely common on all automotive leather seats. DO NOT EVER USE A MAGIC ERASER ON AUTOMOTIVE LEATHER.

If the staining has not been there for very long (think weeks not months) the safest way to clean it is to take a Optimum No Rinse dampened towel and wipe. If this does not remove it then I would take Optimum Power Clean at 10:1 with a leather scrub brush and if that does not fix the seat would need to be redyed.

If you use a Magic Eraser you are taking essentially 5k grit sandpaper to your seats. For better protection have your seats coated in Opti-Guard Leather coating.

DriversSeat.jpeg
25k miles on our MX and wear jeans most days. Have noticed some light bleeding from the denim as well as some of the small dots on the armrest that @wallstguy showed. I just used the non-scented baby wipes on the front (non-ventilated) seats. The photo was taken in the shade, but it absolutely worked in removing most all of the bleeding and the dots. 11/10 highly recommend.

Reactions: Anzir
It’s alnost like white pants, looks great when they are clean, but very easy to get dirty and it doesn’t hide body imperfection

That's what I thought, but having lived with the ultra-white seats for 9k miles they are holding up better than typical leather seats. The key thing is that they clean up very easily (with the major exception of the child seat protector dye!). I'm now a big fan of the synthetic leather they are using and in black it would be totally bomb proof - although I do prefer the look of the white and how it reflects the sunlight etc. Obviously you have to be more careful with white seats and what you wear. But with a packet of baby wipes in the door bin I've never had a problem removing the odd mark or dirty patch and I've been surprised how little maintenance they actually need to keep looking fresh.