Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best accessory for your model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first accessory was a set of 7 LED lamps. These replaced the far-too-dim four puddle lights, one at the bottom of each door. Also replaced one in the glovebox, and two in the dark cavern called the trunk. Now I can actually see things in there. By the way, at least on my 06/2018 Model 3, all 7 of these are the same bulb. Shortly after this, I purchased and applied a matte screen protector. Then I bought cleaning supplies including stacks of microfiber cloths, a foam gun for a pressure washer, various cleaning and wax solutions, a tire plug kit and compressor, and a set of four self-adhesive decals that say “Open Door” applied at each of the car’s buttons to open the doors.

As I write this, I washed the car myself the first year, then found the local commercial rotating brush car wash works just fine and haven’t hand-washed since. The screen protector was more insurance than necessary. The decals have proven useful for new passengers, and the plug kit/compressor is another insurance comfort. So all in all I probably could/should have stopped after the replacement lights which are sadly necessary, and the decals.

My first accessory was a set of 7 LED lamps. These replaced the far-too-dim four puddle lights, one at the bottom of each door. Also replaced one in the glovebox, and two in the dark cavern called the trunk. Now I can actually see things in there. By the way, at least on my 06/2018 Model 3, all 7 of these are the same bulb.

The dim LEDs were also a feature of Model 3s supplied to UK in 2019 so I also replaced them for brighter alternatives. The original lights in the boot (trunk) really were hopeless. I decided to get the projected Tesla "T" for the puddle lights which are a fun addition that attracts comments! I'm curious to know if more recent cars now have LEDs that are bright enough not to warrant replacement.

The dim LEDs were also a feature of Model 3s supplied to UK in 2019 so I also replaced them for brighter alternatives. The original lights in the boot (trunk) really were hopeless. I decided to get the projected Tesla "T" for the puddle lights which are a fun addition that attracts comments! I'm curious to know if more recent cars now have LEDs that are bright enough not to warrant replacement.
As of March 2021, the LEDs were still ridiculously dim. I replaced the ones in the trunk with ones that actually did something.

Do you have a link to the one you bought?

Best to buy with other stuff as postage is from the US.

Portable vacuum cleaner from Evannex. You cannot buy them anymore, so nobody can accuse me of PP😉

One more “accessory” I forgot about: an extra set of garage door safety lights.

In the US, automatic garage door openers are fitted with a light beam and sensor placed at the bottom of the garage door opening. Breaking the light beam (child, pet, other object) causes a lowering garage door to stop and reverse itself to full open. With the ability for the car to open/close the garage door itself as an adjunct to the Summon feature and geofencing, it is possible to close the door onto the car since the light beam is only broken when the tires are in the way. To overcome this, I added a second light beam and sensor at a height equal to the height of the forward-most part of the Model 3’s front bumper. Now the light beam is interrupted whenever any part of the car is under the garage door and the door will not close on the car. The parts were about $30, easily found at both local stores that sell garage door openers and online at manufacturer’s website. Took about 20 minutes to install (I’m slow).

Managed to get "T" puddle lights for the front doors before AO stopped selling them :)

I also replaced the trunk LEDs and of course the footwells with purple....

Attachments

• purple puddle.jpg
    purple puddle.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: Durzel and Nick77
Hi all, I’ve got an incoming M3LR MIC, collect on 4/12.

Looking at all weather mats, already have purchased Tesla oem mats for the inside of the car (not from Tesla but a private seller as new), but on the Tesla web site shop there appears two different frunk options. Does the new facelift 2021 model require the “ribbed” version?

Tbh I never opened the frunk in my i3s so it’s probably a waste of cash.

Key Fob: I am that rare person who does not carry a wallet so the key card is a pain to carry, and I am convinced I am going to lose it. My phone, I always have, however it sometimes does and sometimes does not let me open the door. In those instances, I have to, open the phone, open the app, go to controls and then open the car. Too many steps. The fob (so far) never fails to let me in. In addition, I have a cover from my fob, and the house keys are looped onto the fob cover.

It works for me.

Reactions: Xdama and candida
Is the all weather Tesla OEM boot liner worth it?

I always get all weather mats and boot liners for my new cars. I’ve already purchased the oem mats from a private seller (brand new in the oem box).

CBA waiting several weeks for packages to arrive from China. It’s £110 but I’ve seen alternatives on Amazon for under £40.