Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the likelihood we will see Speed Limit Sign recognition?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except I feel like they've had years to implement speed sign recognition and I bet they have it already working so it would be more a matter of enabling it. Seems like they are confident they can implement this without interfering with the BS MobileEye/Intel patent that should never have been awarded.

Most patents fall into that category these days .. used to be that it was hard to get a patent as you had to show genuine originality and a workable invention (I know, I went through the process a dozen times). These days you can patent anything ...the USPTO just rubber-stamps it and lets other sue of they think the patent is BS (there are now several patents for perpetual motion machines!). They do the cause Congress told them to b self-funding to they are motived to grant as many patents as possible for the income. The result? We get totally absurd patents that would never ever have passed the "obvious to those skilled in the art" barrier, and lawyers have a field day making money suing each other.

Most patents fall into that category these days .. used to be that it was hard to get a patent as you had to show genuine originality and a workable invention (I know, I went through the process a dozen times). These days you can patent anything ...the USPTO just rubber-stamps it and lets other sue of they think the patent is BS (there are now several patents for perpetual motion machines!). They do the cause Congress told them to b self-funding to they are motived to grant as many patents as possible for the income. The result? We get totally absurd patents that would never ever have passed the "obvious to those skilled in the art" barrier, and lawyers have a field day making money suing each other.

I think the only solution is that for all BS patents that are awarded and nullified in court, the Patent Office should be made to pay the legal bills. It's crazy how they now have a financial structure to incentivize every BS patent that comes their way and someone else has to pay to have these BS patents nullified while also impeding actual innovation.

Imagine if someone was awarded one of these BS patents for comparing two numbers or sorting values.

Can't wait to see actual speed limit sign recognition in a software update! I bet it will be better than V1 as the NN will have more contextual awareness.

Doesn't look like 2020.16 has speed limit sign recognition.

There's still hope for 2020.20 :p

I had ti disable stop sign and traffic light control because the speed limits in the car are wrong and would not allow me to set the speed to be the speed of traffic. Hope they allow the driver to set a speed over the limit like regular TACC so I can enable stop sign and traffic light control again.

Doesn't look like 2020.16 has speed limit sign recognition.

There's still hope for 2020.20 :p

I had ti disable stop sign and traffic light control because the speed limits in the car are wrong and would not allow me to set the speed to be the speed of traffic. Hope they allow the driver to set a speed over the limit like regular TACC so I can enable stop sign and traffic light control again.

I’m having the exact same experience. Random speed limit changes without reading signs. Driving down a 45 and suddenly thinks it’s 25. I will have to disable traffic light control too. Basically makes AP useless if you have to touch the accelerator for every green intersection.

I’m having the exact same experience. Random speed limit changes without reading signs. Driving down a 45 and suddenly thinks it’s 25. I will have to disable traffic light control too. Basically makes AP useless if you have to touch the accelerator for every green intersection.

I could still manage using the accelerator to acknowledge traffic lights but what was a deal breaker for using the feature is being strictly limited to the speed limit, which would make me a danger to myself and others around here.

I bet Tesla has the speed limit sign recognition working already in internal test builds.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Automatically slowing to break at each intersection is annoying. The warning notice appears almost immediately before the vehicle starts to slow, providing very little time to override the slowdown.

Wish list for improvements:
  • Provide 1000 foot warning prior to intersection, with more time for the driver to override the slowdown
  • Add a voice command as another option (in addition to the AP stalk and accelerator) to override the slowdown

Reactions: PhilDavid
It will be interesting to determine how smart speed limit sign recognition will be. For example, I'm “sure” it will be able to read school speed limit zones which inform the driver that at only certain times of the day will be 15 mph be required.

What about construction signage? I am being somewhat cynical here because this is an important driver responsibility and not a computer responsibility. When I had my test drive, the salesman said never, ever, allow autopilot to be on in a construction zone.

I just see too many pitfalls with trying to recognize speed limit signs especially on less well-traveled roads where the highway department has not done a good job of clearing vegetation around the sign.

Southbound after the George C Platt Memorial Bridge (from Philadelphia) connecting to Interstate 95 S., the open source speed limit database says the speed limit is 35 mph. Cars are going 65 to 70 mph. On autopilot, the car reduces its speed to 40 miles an hour which would theoretically be a disaster on this road. But, the last two trips on this specific 3-mile road, there were no speed limit signs noticeable until I got onto I-95 South.

Reactions: PhilDavid
This is VW/MobilEye

Sign Assist is always offered in combination with a navigation system as the traffic signs are also indicated on the display of the active navigation system (map and/or pictograms). If the front camera detects speed limits or no overtaking signs, up to three of these signs are indicated on the multi-function display ahead of the driver and on the navigation system. The navigation system displays the signs in a logical sequence together with all relevant additional information. The operative traffic sign (e.g. “130 km/h”) is always shown first, followed by signs which apply under certain conditions on a temporary basis (e.g. “80 km/h” “in wet conditions”) in second place. If the rain sensor detects precipitation, the operative traffic sign with the additional information “in wet conditions” is shown in first place.

Reactions: pilotSteve and Bmac
This is VW/MobilEye

Sign Assist is always offered in combination with a navigation system as the traffic signs are also indicated on the display of the active navigation system (map and/or pictograms). If the front camera detects speed limits or no overtaking signs, up to three of these signs are indicated on the multi-function display ahead of the driver and on the navigation system. The navigation system displays the signs in a logical sequence together with all relevant additional information. The operative traffic sign (e.g. “130 km/h”) is always shown first, followed by signs which apply under certain conditions on a temporary basis (e.g. “80 km/h” “in wet conditions”) in second place. If the rain sensor detects precipitation, the operative traffic sign with the additional information “in wet conditions” is shown in first place.

Thanks, interesting comments regarding MobileEye.

I was wondering if Tesla would maintain access to the open source speed limit database at the same time of trying to visually recognize a speed limit sign. If so, with a discrepancy, which source wins?

Speed limit sign detection will likely be only one source. The software will likely continue to use the speed limit database and Tesla's fleet speed database (speed other Tesla vehicles have used in the same area).

Since the speed limit sign could be blocked from view (such as having a large truck preventing view of the sign), the software would likely have a fallback to determine the correct speed.

Hopefully once speed limit sign detection is enabled, the software will detect discrepancies between the speed limit database and posted speeds, and update the speed limit database, which would then be distributed to all vehicles driving in that region.

On the area freeways with multiple adjacent lanes, it can be difficult to determine which speed limit signs actually apply to your current lane, and which apply to the adjacent roadways (HOV lanes, frontage roads, exit ramps, ...). Will be interesting to see how well the software handles this - along with the time-based limits in school zones...

Reactions: Bmac
Speed limit sign detection will likely be only one source. The software will likely continue to use the speed limit database and Tesla's fleet speed database (speed other Tesla vehicles have used in the same area).

Since the speed limit sign could be blocked from view (such as having a large truck preventing view of the sign), the software would likely have a fallback to determine the correct speed.

Hopefully once speed limit sign detection is enabled, the software will detect discrepancies between the speed limit database and posted speeds, and update the speed limit database, which would then be distributed to all vehicles driving in that region.

On the area freeways with multiple adjacent lanes, it can be difficult to determine which speed limit signs actually apply to your current lane, and which apply to the adjacent roadways (HOV lanes, frontage roads, exit ramps, ...). Will be interesting to see how well the software handles this - along with the time-based limits in school zones...

So the big question is when will we see speed limit sign recognition, now that Elon has confirmed this will happen.

• Disagree
It will be interesting to determine how smart speed limit sign recognition will be. For example, I'm “sure” it will be able to read school speed limit zones which inform the driver that at only certain times of the day will be 15 mph be required.

What about construction signage? I am being somewhat cynical here because this is an important driver responsibility and not a computer responsibility. When I had my test drive, the salesman said never, ever, allow autopilot to be on in a construction zone.

I just see too many pitfalls with trying to recognize speed limit signs especially on less well-traveled roads where the highway department has not done a good job of clearing vegetation around the sign.

Southbound after the George C Platt Memorial Bridge (from Philadelphia) connecting to Interstate 95 S., the open source speed limit database says the speed limit is 35 mph. Cars are going 65 to 70 mph. On autopilot, the car reduces its speed to 40 miles an hour which would theoretically be a disaster on this road. But, the last two trips on this specific 3-mile road, there were no speed limit signs noticeable until I got onto I-95 South.

Also with GPS Drift (I’m experiencing now) you could be safely driving at 70mph only to pass by a road and have your speed limit shift to 35mph and AP slam on the breaks.

Also with GPS Drift (I’m experiencing now) you could be safely driving at 70mph only to pass by a road and have your speed limit shift to 35mph and AP slam on the breaks.
If you are really getting GPS drift onto other roads, you should be able to document it with pictures and video and get it repaired. That is not normal. Also, they are "Brakes" not "breaks"....

Also with GPS Drift (I’m experiencing now) you could be safely driving at 70mph only to pass by a road and have your speed limit shift to 35mph and AP slam on the brakes
If you are really getting GPS drift onto other roads, you should be able to document it with pictures and video and get it repaired. That is not normal. Also, they are "Brakes" not "breaks"....
HaHa yes. Typing on iPhone you never know what iOS will insert. :p

Are you sure? What year is your car? There is no AP1 upgrade path (to AP3 or otherwise). There are upgrades for AP2.5 and AP2, but not AP1 (the Mobileye system with only the cameras in the windshield)....

Sorry meant to say AP2 to FSD.

My GPS drift seems to Have re centered after a few drives. Thankfully it’s not slamming on the brakes when it thinks it’s suddenly jumped to a slower speed limit on the map.

I wonder if they are using speed limit sign recognition in shadow mode, as that would allow them to update the GPS mad data.

This would be also useful if you just turn onto a street just after the speed limit sign, as the GPS data would allow the car to know the correct speed limit based on a sign seen by another Tesla vehicle.

• Disagree