Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the likelihood we will see Speed Limit Sign recognition?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some at least? Sounds like this might be HW3/FSD only.

I think you can assume most all new features like this would need HW3. OTOH the choice of FSD is driven by marketing, and given that Tesla have a lot of people wondering what they got for that extra $$$ the tendency is to put new features in FSD only. (They have already pretty much said non-FSD AP is feature-complete.)

I think you can assume most all new features like this would need HW3.
MobileEye can do it with a decade old chip, so while you may be right, that’s a pretty lazy excuse.

I’d have to go back and look to be sure, but I’m pretty sure speed sign recognition was a listed feature in late 2016 when I bought my AP2 car (and not tied to FSD package). I might be wrong.

MobileEye can do it with a decade old chip, so while you may be right, that’s a pretty lazy excuse.

I’d have to go back and look to be sure, but I’m pretty sure speed sign recognition was a listed feature in late 2016 when I bought my AP2 car (and not tied to FSD package). I might be wrong.

It's not can they do it with HW2.5, it's should they make the investment. The two computers differ significantly in design, so doing a feature for both adds to the development/test/support burden. Since they are committed to moving FSD optioned cars to HW3, it may make more economic sense to make it part of FSD package to that they do not need to support the feature on HW2.5.

Reactions: drklain
I like the idea of fleet-learned speed limits. That could (would) be superior to map-only or sign-only based, and filter out bogus signs (like a t-shirt with a big 5 mph sign on the back of it!) Signs on immediately adjacent carriageways can unavoidably fool sign-only recognition.

So Tesla buying in speed data and modifying based on say 25 -100 contradictory real reads might have some advantages. Like up-voting or down-voting. And in emergency situations there may be good reasons for temporary reduction in speed, as well as improving navigation of smaller roads where the posted speed has little to do with safe speed.

Just saw the release noted for 2020.24 and speed limit sign recognition is not a part of it so it seems we are at least about 2 months away from having the car be able to read speed limit signs.

Really hope they add back the ability to set a speed ABOVE the limit when traffic and stop sign control is enabled. I had to turn this off because it's dangerous to drive the speed limit around here.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits and Flyguy
Really hope they add back the ability to set a speed ABOVE the limit when traffic and stop sign control is enabled. I had to turn this off because it's dangerous to drive the speed limit around here.

+1 on that. I realize they are being conservative until they have had time to get the glitches out of the new feature, but its not practical to limit the car to the posted limits (unless Tesla will take on the costs of being rear-ended all the time be enraged drivers).

Just saw the release noted for 2020.24 and speed limit sign recognition is not a part of it so it seems we are at least about 2 months away from having the car be able to read speed limit signs.

That's weird, because my setting of "speed limit + 10mph" still works.

* Exception Autopilot on non-Freeway will sometimes limit to only 5mph over the limit.

That's weird, because my setting of "speed limit + 10mph" still works.

* Exception Autopilot on non-Freeway will sometimes limit to only 5mph over the limit.

If you have FSD, try it with traffic light and stop sign control on and drive on a surface roads. It limits the car to the speed limit, making the whole thing completely unusable around here. When I drive the speed limit on the dot, people start tailgating and cutting you off left and right. Drive the speed of traffic (about 5-10mph over the limit) and everyone leaves you alone.

They should let you set the speed limit up to 10 mph over the limit on surface streets. The driver is the responsible party for the speed anyway, especially in many cases when the car's GPS speed is incorrect.

If you have FSD, try it with traffic light and stop sign control on and drive on a surface roads. It limits the car to the speed limit, making the whole thing completely unusable around here. When I drive the speed limit on the dot, people start tailgating and cutting you off left and right. Drive the speed of traffic (about 5-10mph over the limit) and everyone leaves you alone.

They should let you set the speed limit up to 10 mph over the limit on surface streets. The driver is the responsible party for the speed anyway, especially in many cases when the car's GPS speed is incorrect.

This is a real problem. The map drops down the speed to 15 in a 35 zone in some places for me. Not safe not reliable.

This is a real problem. The map drops down the speed to 15 in a 35 zone in some places for me. Not safe not reliable.

I was really excited to get 2020.24 but traffic light and stop sign control is still limited to the speed limit making this feature unusable where I live. Hopefully they will allow the driver to set the speed up to 10mps over the limit to match the speed of traffic where applicable and leave the choice and responsibility up to the driver.

Either Tesla licensed the Mobileye patent OR (what's more likely) they've found a way to get around the patent.

Now - will the software actually determine the speed limit that actually applies to your current lane? [When sign placement is ambiguous and could be applied to lanes on either side of the sign.]