Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the proper way to close the charge port door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may be a dumb question but how should the charger door be shut?

It can be opened by just pressing on the corner (swings open automatically) but when closing, if you try to close it with your finger, it seems like there is some resistance before it starts to close, almost as if it doesn't like you doing that - which leads me to believe it's not the proper way? Can it be closed with the key fob?

If you leave it alone, it wil eventually close on its own. I do not know exactly how long you have to wait but it is not long. I got in the habit of letting it close by itself or closing it on the touchscreen after I had to take the car in to repair the flap motor.
...and it is NOT a dumb question, we all continue to learn. In fact when you stop learning you are probably pushing daisies!

Reactions: DiamondHands
This is all assuming you have a car newer than ~12/2014. Prior to that, you had to close the charge port manually.

Trying to remember, wasn't the auto closing charge port door initially released only on the Dual Motor models? My P85D was built in 11/2014 and has the auto closing charge port door. My recollection is it was initially put in to service when the P85D was released.

Mike

Trying to remember, wasn't the auto closing charge port door initially released only on the Dual Motor models? My P85D was built in 11/2014 and has the auto closing charge port door. My recollection is it was initially put in to service when the P85D was released.

Mike
Correct, all D's have the powered charge port door. Non-D's I think got it around 3/15.

I did some testing and got it all nailed down...guess I could have done this testing before but now we all get to learn. :)

The charger door will open without physically touching it by holding down the "trunk" of the remote FOB for a couple of seconds. To close it, just click once on the "roof" of the FOB, which in addition to locking the doors, also closes the charge port door.

what kind of situations are you in where you need the port door closed faster than 5-8 seconds?
When i unplug its open and i open my door and get in while simultaneously pressing the brake pedal and it closes while i'm still sitting down. Pouring rain, white out snow conditions and sunny days it doesn't matter the thing closes and it's good to go next time i open it 2014 P85D 107k miles