Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the SAFEST way to remove ice and snow from the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could anyone who has an especially safe way of removing ice and snow from the car without scratching it share which tools or methods you use?

I'm panning to get PPF and want to keep my paint safe and also figure out the safest way to remove ice and snow without damaging the PPF when that's on the car. Don;t want any scratches or micro or nano scratches :p

I just use a leaf blower!!

Here is one that is battery operated for the times when you are away from the power outlet.

This is also good to get the water spots off the car if you wash car at home.

I've lived in WI my whole life, and only fully remove the snow from the glass. The paint just gets the tall stuff brushed off. I don't scrape on the paint. Since LED headlights, I do have to scrape those now. It used to be you could start the car and turn on the headlights and by the time the windows were clear the car was warm and the headlights were clear. Now you have to scrape the lights if they are iced over.

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and DCEV
I've lived in WI my whole life, and only fully remove the snow from the glass. The paint just gets the tall stuff brushed off. I don't scrape on the paint. Since LED headlights, I do have to scrape those now. It used to be you could start the car and turn on the headlights and by the time the windows were clear the car was warm and the headlights were clear. Now you have to scrape the lights if they are iced over.

this^ with enough experience you get good at brushing the snow off without touching the vehicle. The last half an inch stays on the car and blows off.

Now the problem is if you preheat the car too much it melts and won’t blow off. Same thing when driving, sometimes it is best to not use defrost and allow the snow to just blow off instead of having it melt on the windshield. Many times you don’t even need wipers in a snowstorm. As long as you can handle the cool cabin weather :)

If it is wet snow that froze then you don’t have a choice; you’re scraping the glass.

• Helpful
Reactions: DCEV and David29
What I do is cover the wiper area with plastic wrap (at least 18" wide, but 24" is better). Unfortunately, the heater doesn't help snow in the wiper tray. View attachment 474210View attachment 474211View attachment 474212View attachment 474213

The one thing I really like about your idea to cover the bottom of windshield is that it prevents ice from building up below in the wiper tray. Usually, I'll spend a bit of time opening the frunk, clearing the ice from around the wiper arms, clearing the drains. I might see if I can fashion one of those windshield thermal covers to do this - just figure out a way to make sure it doesn't fly off.

So far as clearing the car: preheating combined (at least 20 minutes worth) with leaving mirrors out. If icy, first time out I go without keys and pour a bit of warm water over the door handles, top of door windows and mirrors - immediately after unlock via the app and open each door (ensure you keep the heat on right after). Brush off entire car, gently use a small shovel to clear wheel wells (front in particular) which tends to accumulate ice and snow. Usually takes about 15 minutes to complete, 20-25 if I've also got to clear out the wiper tray.

The one thing I really like about your idea to cover the bottom of windshield is that it prevents ice from building up below in the wiper tray. Usually, I'll spend a bit of time opening the frunk, clearing the ice from around the wiper arms, clearing the drains. I might see if I can fashion one of those windshield thermal covers to do this - just figure out a way to make sure it doesn't fly off.
That's exactly why I did it. The rest is no different than any other car. 10-15 seconds rather than half an hour.

So far as clearing the car: preheating combined (at least 20 minutes worth) with leaving mirrors out. If icy, first time out I go without keys and pour a bit of warm water over the door handles, top of door windows and mirrors - immediately after unlock via the app and open each door (ensure you keep the heat on right after). Brush off entire car, gently use a small shovel to clear wheel wells (front in particular) which tends to accumulate ice and snow. Usually takes about 15 minutes to complete, 20-25 if I've also got to clear out the wiper tray.

How do you make sure no water gets into the door handles or door and then freezes in there? I would worry that water could get into something where it would freeze and cause problems. But i guess it must not do that, given that you are in a cold area....

How do you make sure no water gets into the door handles or door and then freezes in there? I would worry that water could get into something where it would freeze and cause problems. But i guess it must not do that, given that you are in a cold area....

Fair question. The answer is that it'll drain once you open the doors. The problem is that you can damage the gears if it's already frozen, so warm water will melt out what's holding it. Immediately unlock and open the doors once done with melting the ice. By keeping the heat on it helps prevent it from freezing over. You only need to do this if you notice there's ice there. Normal cold snow doesn't cause a problem unless it happens when the car is cooling.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Just pull out the app, and pre-heat the car for 30 minutes or so. Actually just recently saw a winter tips video for the model 3, the 3 actually has air gaps around the door handles so when you preheat the car it will melt the ice on the handles. I think last winter I felt air leaking around the handles on my S, questioned if it should be doing that, but now I know why.
If the handle is covered with ice, what good are air gaps all plugged up with ice?

It is the glass itself getting stuck in the raised position because ice is adhering to the glass. Silicone won't help with that. ;)
I have had this type of doors on my car’s now 10+ years. Silicon oil is actually only thing that prevents the water to stay on the window rubbers. I especially treat the lower section of window seal with the silicone oil both on outside and inside where the glass is moving (if the glass is lowered in the door). On icy days I use my hands to push on the sealing to “brake” any attached ice on the window seal in order to get in. There is no issues for the glass to move back up.

I have had this type of doors on my car’s now 10+ years. Silicon oil is actually only thing that prevents the water to stay on the window rubbers. I especially treat the lower section of window seal with the silicone oil both on outside and inside where the glass is moving (if the glass is lowered in the door). On icy days I use my hands to push on the sealing to “brake” any attached ice on the window seal in order to get in. There is no issues for the glass to move back up.

Make us a video of how you apply the silicon oil. :D Is there a brand you prefer?