Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's wrong with navigation recently? (Jan 2017-ish)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The navigation / trip planning in my new Model X is all kinds of stupid. I did not have this issue in the Model S I traded.

I assume navigation directions come online which means others may have similar problems (versus it being an isolated problem with my car). Is it firmware? Is it a problem with Google Maps?

1) I checked the route from Toronto to Chicago and it sent me 3-hours east to Kingston, Ontario before sending me south into New York. (see attached photo)

ToChicago.jpg

2) On a drive to Montreal, it routed me through Ottawa. When it finally recalculated from that, it sent me through Montreal, across the USA border to to Plattsburgh, and then back to my destination in Montreal. (See two other attached photos)

ThroughOttawa.jpg ToMontreal.jpg

This is more than a nuisance because I can't judge travel distance versus battery remaining. I am sure I could have made it from the Kingston Supercharge to Montreal by adjusting speed and temperature but without an accurate remaining distance, I had to stop in Cornwall to top up... and even then, I was guessing at what I needed.

Anyone else encounter this?

I'm amazed you have not had these problems before!

Any routing software that does not have waypoints is often useless for what you are trying to do. Occasionally it might work correctly but I don't even try very often any more. I will map the route in EVtripplanner before leaving, and just use the car navigation to get to the next stop. Even then, the Nav will occasionally take a bizarre route that I have to look closely at, checking traffic and construction possibilities. If I don't see a reason to go that route, I just drive in the pre-planned direction until the Nav catches on. It's kind of an amusing game (might as well be, there isn't anything we can do about it).

I'm not surprised you are having the issue. I AM surprised, as a previous Tesla owner, that you haven't noticed it before.

I'm not surprised you are having the issue. I AM surprised, as a previous Tesla owner, that you haven't noticed it before.

That is interesting to hear. I've been on dozens of long distance road trips in my Model S and the routing has been perfect. Sure, there were sometimes shorter, off the beaten path routes I'd 'force' the car the eventually accept by driving them but otherwise it always planned the fastest highway route.

My two recent examples are hundreds... nay, thousands of kilometres of extra driving in the opposite direction.

Any routing software that does not have waypoints is often useless for what you are trying to do.

Also worth noting that Toronto and Montreal are connected by one, straight-shot highway. So if I removed the charging stops, the directions should have been 'get on highway for 5 hours and drive straight.'

There shouldn't have been an element of 'what I was trying to do' where I would understand the cars confusion.

Reactions: Falkirk
That is interesting to hear. I've been on dozens of long distance road trips in my Model S and the routing has been perfect. Sure, there were sometimes shorter, off the beaten path routes I'd 'force' the car the eventually accept by driving them but otherwise it always planned the fastest highway route.

My two recent examples are hundreds... nay, thousands of kilometres of extra driving in the opposite direction.

The Chicago routing is, indeed, a strange route. All are quite different from just a simple disagreement on the wisdom of trying to make a trip without routing to an obscure Supercharger.

Hopefully this will get better with 8.1. Or maybe 8.2. Or 9.1. Or when the Model 3 comes out. o_O

I noticed OP asked if the issue could be related to Google maps. I believe in many other discussions it has been stated that the built-in Garmin maps control navigation, corrrect? Obviously that is helpful whenever Internet signal for Google maps is lost. But I wonder how extensive are the built-in Garmin maps? Is the entire world loaded into the Garmin maps? (For example, stand alone Garmin GPS units typically only have sufficient storage to load a portion of the world at one time. I used to have one that didn't even have room for all of the Continental USA.)

When your routing gets really strange, try turning off the "traffic aware" routing option. I once had the Nav suggest a 19 mile detour to cross an intersection. Tesla's "fix" was to turn off the traffic aware feature, believing there must be corrupt data coming from the provider.