Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your predicted loyalty to Tesla whenever replacing current car?

Whenever you replace current Tesla you anticipate...

• ...getting another Tesla!

Votes: 198 57.1%
  • ...moving on to a different EV, such as Porsche or Audi.

Votes: 127 36.6%
  • ...returning to the world of ICE!

Votes: 22 6.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Customer Service is very important to me. When I got my MS, Tesla knew what it meant. It is in the toilet today.

Example. Today. Best Buy screwed up my appliance order twice. Talked to store manager. He apologized and took care of me. They kept me as a customer.

Tesla used to be like that. Now, they literally tells you they don't care about you. They used to give stuff to apologize for their mistakes.

I am eyeing on Rivian. If they care about customers like I think they will. They might get my business. I am eyeing on Ioniq 5 too, as for style... Not sure about customer service though.
This.

Mistakes happen, but how the company recovers means a lot. Making sure things are made right, maybe even going the extra mile for the customer so they feel appreciated, makes up for a lot.

In our experience, Tesla’s really not concerned. You get what you get, take it or leave it.

Unknown at this point.

There are arguments for and against all choices. When I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new car, I'll have to check based on what is actually available. As of right now, there are no new Model S cars available and there may not be for several months.

EA is way behind Tesla in terms of its charging network buildout which limits long-distance travel for non-Tesla EVs - Tesla has enjoyed nearly a decade head start.

But Tesla's stonewalling and other mistreatment of customers is a huge minus. So is the under-delivery on promises, going all the way back to "691 HP", "85 kWh", etc. When I buy a gallon of gasoline, I expect a full gallon. Not 120 ounces or some approximation of a gallon. Same thing for HP and kWh.
This is close to my own feelings. Owner of a 2015 Model S70D. I think the poll should have had an option for "Unknown until the time comes" or something like that. I checked "...different EV..." because of all the problems I have read about that are afflicting the newer owners, particularly continuing poor build quality and poor service. Fortunately, I have not personally experienced the poor build quality (my car was delivered before any Model X or 3 crush) and have always had satisfactory service experiences. I hope my car will continue to operate satisfactorily for several years. But I am leery of what will happen when my 8-year drive-train and battery warranty ends. I like the sound of the Raven models with their improved ride and efficiency, but fear that good used ones will be in short supply by the time I want one. I am extremely skeptical of the stalk-less steering column on the new Model S and X (if they ever materialize!), so I am unlikely to get one of those. (I have been driving for more years than most Tesla customers have been alive, so I am very much set in my ways. I expect the turn signal and wiper controls at my finger tips, and despair to think of how to erase so much muscle memory gained from hundreds of thousands of miles at the wheel with the tried-and-true arrangements.)
I suppose I sound pessimistic, and I am indeed, for Tesla. Musk has his uncountable billions, and his successful Space-X is well on the way towards his goal of reaching for Mars, so I am not sure he much cares for anything else, or he'd have "fixed service" and QA by now. I think his sense of pride in the Tesla products has long ago left the Tesla factory floor.
And the competition is improving rapidly. I am impressed by the Porsches and even by the Mustang. By the time my car reaches age 8, there will no doubt be many EV options.

Almost as old as dirt, hoping not to buy another car. If I do, will depend on the market at that time. Stupid to make conjecture now. Problem is: exciting and fun cars /= reliable cars. Always has been so. Having owned BMW, Alfa, Jaguar, Tesla… also Mercedes, Mazda, Toyota, VW, Jeep… the former group have been inspiring with the occasional PITA. The latter group reliably boring. I’ll take inspiring.

By the time my car reaches age 8, there will no doubt be many EV options.

Our early 2013 is 8+ years old now. Surprised that there really aren't that many competitors soundly beating our ancient car. The software continues to update flawlessly, many new features in that time, and the recall for the MCU EMMC storage will remove any concern for reliability I have for the next 4 years.

just picked up the id4 myself yesterday. I'm already moving away from Tesla. I stop recommending them about a year or so ago. like other have said, Tesla is not the same when they were actually struggling to survive, now they are really jerks. I don't want to get into it because it is way too long and others have provided plenty of evidences. Tesla's problem, like others have said, is really musk and his musketeers who are really share holders only looking to profit from the stock while we owners are left in the dust. Here to hoping other car manufacturing company brings Tesla's ego back down to earth.

I went from two Tesla Model S's in the garage to a Lexus LS and RAV4 Prime. So that would mean a 0 chance of a Tesla again, in the foreseeable future anyway.

The cars are phenomenal when they are working but Christ the company needs improvement, big time. It's a shame because I used to be a fanboy (it's easy to be one) but over time you get worn down, and eventually go elsewhere. Tesla really doesn't care about long term customers right now and the market agrees, there are always new Musketeers to replace the long term people who have experienced the decline.

The biggest problem is the almost total lack of communication avenues.
My nearest SC is a 3 hr drive away: no-one will drive a 6 hr two way journey on the offchance that something can be looked at. Many issues can be addressed just by talking to someone at the SC over the phone but that’s not an option.
My last car was a Honda: in 15 years the only times I had to go to the Honda dealership apart from scheduled service were once for the airbag recall and once for a puncture. Hint to Musk: if you build a car that just - works, your SC costs are a small part of the equation, and the customer satisfaction is guaranteed.

I cast my vote as moving on to a different EV, but that might change. FSD is my biggest gripe against Tesla right now. I am looking at the next purchase being a pickup truck and the Rivian looks pretty good. It also depends on how reliable the non Tesla charge network turns out to be.

The Cybertruck would be more tempting if the dang thing was not so butt ugly. Still the R1T is not a real looker either. The Tesla charge network is a big plus for the Cybertruck. It probably boils down to who has something available this time next year and how many problems the early units are reporting.

Reactions: vapor trail
I am seeing a few used Model 3's trade ins for sale at the local Chevy dealer lot. Draw your own conclusions. I'm thinking they decided that the Bolt was more practical.
How? And who would take the loss and trade down? Makes no sense. Just because they were on Chevy lot does not mean they were traded in to Chevy. 90% of trade ins go to auction.

I personally wouldn't, but I'll be the first to admit that I recently had to transport a few things that wouldn't fit into the Model 3 so I had to take my gf's Bolt. Sometimes a hatchback has its advantages.
I can understand the frustration with the model 3 trunk and transporting larger items. That is why I traded the 3 in on the Y last March.

The Bolt is not a bad car compared to some of the other garbage GM has produced over the years, but compare the Bolt and the Y and the winner is obvious.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I cast my vote as moving on to a different EV, but that might change. FSD is my biggest gripe against Tesla right now. I am looking at the next purchase being a pickup truck and the Rivian looks pretty good. It also depends on how reliable the non Tesla charge network turns out to be.

The Cybertruck would be more tempting if the dang thing was not so butt ugly. Still the R1T is not a real looker either. The Tesla charge network is a big plus for the Cybertruck. It probably boils down to who has something available this time next year and how many problems the early units are reporting.
Now that we have more information of the Ford F-150 Lightning I can update my preference on pickups. The Ford has some good features but falls short on range. For that reason I am looking at
1) Rivian R1T with max pack option.
2) Tesla Cybertruck tri motor option.
3) Ford Lightning long range

The Tesla has more range than the Rivian, but for my purposes 400 mile range is good enough.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I really wish that GM considers making the Volt again with a bit more range (~100 miles), better materials and the Cruise tech. My Chevy Volt after 3 years of daily driving still retains 100% of its range. When I took it to camping and long trips, I have never had to worry about range. If I could find a charger or an outlet, I'd save some money. Otherwise, I just use gas and have no range anxiety.
The X is an amazing car but "within specs" and "wear and tear" make me worry. I'll buy extended warranty when the time comes. I hope Tesla listens to the customers and improve the SC situation. After sale experience is important and like many in this thread, whats happen at the SC during the ownership will be the deciding factor for the next Tesla. If Tesla can't handle all the repairs, outsource to 3rd party authorized independent shops.

Reactions: vapor trail
Well, the Taycan forums are littered with stories of their first major software update. Which required the car to be brought in and each individual module programmed in a precise sequence, requiring the use of one of the diagnostic computers for over an entire day. If you did it wrong, at best you had to start again and at worst you could brick one of the control modules, which required physical replacement and has kept some cars down for weeks.

All for an update who's best features seem to be better control of wireless carplay and the like.

So at least Tesla has that going for it. 🤣🤣🤣
Hmm, you're selling me on a Taycan. No vaporware (everything you pay for works on delivery day), but new features available if I take it in for a free update, but only if I want the new features. Yea, the full day in a Porsche loaner is a bit of an inconvenience, but the fact that I only get new features when I want them, and the manufacturer cannot nerf the car without my permission so they can save money on warranty, and features don't keep breaking, seems like a worthy tradeoff.

Ps)I heard one of the new features many liked was plug-and-charge, like with Tesla superchargers, just plug in and car gets billed. I'm hoping the Audi eTron GT has that too, as I'm waiting to see if I want one.

Last edited:
EA is way behind Tesla in terms of its charging network buildout which limits long-distance travel for non-Tesla EVs - Tesla has enjoyed nearly a decade head start.
Not exactly. While Tesla did start thinking about this a decade ago, the current state of deployment of EA is no more than maybe 4 years behind, i.e. their coverage is about the same as Tesla's was in ~2017. A decade ago there was no superchargers, and even though I've been driving Teslas since 2013, the first supercharger I ever saw in person was in 2016, until around 2015 I would have had to tow my Tesla to the nearest supercharger because it was beyond a single charge range.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BigNick
Interesting replies all around. Getting sense most of us are heading toward future choices with eyes wide open. I've been a huge fan of Tesla. A shift in the right direction in how they handle customers on the service end would go a long way to maintain repeat customers on the sales floor. I hopefully have many years left with current ride to see how things play out (I really wish they'd engineer a permanent fix for the half shaft issue!). I expect the competition within the EV market to be quite fierce whenever it comes time to trade in my car (right now that Porsche Taycan Turismo has my attention). Time will tell!
The problem with Tesla service is that with Tesla product it is unsustainable and would lead to company bankruptcy. Tesla cars are basically a very large test fleet on which Tesla does their experiments. As with any test fleet, service is very expensive to maintain so may different experimental configurations of hardware and software. That is why Tesla never made money with Model S or X which has a much higher profit per car than 3/Y. At least with Test fleets the drivers are ok with "please don't expect everything to work on the car", but regular consumers are not. Tesla's primary reason for success if Elon and his ability to sell hype and vaporware. He is the 21st century equivalent of 20th infomercial selling cars. There is a reason why no matter what he does, the board of directors is not removing him - he is the business, if he goes, Tesla tanks and its pieces get sold to highest bidders. Of course even Elon at some point may not be able to keep it up as the competition is coming, slowly but surely they are closing in.