Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel alignment cost at SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a brake service today (31k miles & 24 months) and noticed the inner edge of both front tyres is wearing faster than the rest of the tread. There’s still a decent amount on 80% of it, but it’s approaching wear indicators on the inner channel. I’ve raised a service request, which has come back at £316.80!! Am I missing something, or does that not seem a huge amount for getting the front tracking adjusted? There’s no obvious issues, it doesn’t pull or feel odd when driving. Anyone else been charged this much?
IMG_8588.jpeg

Thanks, it did seem somewhat more than I expected. @M00cow have you used F1 for alignment work and were you happy with what they did?
Indeed mate - usually something I do when I get a new (to me) car - new decent rubber all round and get the wheels aligned so that they last properly.
Used F1 near me (Bristol is nearest at Longwell Green from my area) and no complaints at all, took good care and properly torqued all the nuts right too - unlike someplaces that just rattle gun them on and good luck getting them off again at the side of the road in the pouring rain.

Haven't take the Tesla in yet, no point in replacing until they are ready as already has decent rubber on there that is wearing nicely as it should. Most cars I have had over the years either came with awful or mis-matched tyres. Always found cheap tyres a false economy, cost half the price, last half as long as a decent set, plus they may put you in a ditch at a moments notice in the wet :D

You could ask if this guy followed my advice too - M3 wheel alignment difficulty - he was going in a week or so ago.

Reactions: Burley
I did a brake service today (31k miles & 24 months) and noticed the inner edge of both front tyres is wearing faster than the rest of the tread. There’s still a decent amount on 80% of it, but it’s approaching wear indicators on the inner channel. I’ve raised a service request, which has come back at £316.80!! Am I missing something, or does that not seem a huge amount for getting the front tracking adjusted? There’s no obvious issues, it doesn’t pull or feel odd when driving. Anyone else been charged this much?
View attachment 932029
I live in the US, but I think the principle still applies. Teslas are looked upon as a performance automobile. Even though I had no uneven wear, I took my Model Y to a performance race car shop. These shops service the needs of track and street, factory race cars. The alignment was perfect; perfectly centered wheel and NO pull right or left. Much better than factory setting. I paid $265.00. Maybe you can happen upon a shop like this in the UK. Cheers.

Ah I naively paid this a week ago when I had the car serviced the other week at the Bristol Tesla Service centre. Good to know about the F1 recommendation, however, some of the Google reviews leave me with a little fear!

I get it, but not like Bristol service centre is up to much either at considerably more cost, and this is garage that deals with but 4 models of car.
From a recent Google review on this very subject:

The staff and the waiting area are nice but I am on my 3rd visit for a simple wheel alignment. The first time they forgot to tighten the nuts properly so the front arms started moving and making a loud noise over any bumps in the road, luckily I didn't plan to go anywhere far. Then the second time I went in to redo the wheel alignment because of the loose nuts my steering wheel was pointing left while driving straight and on top I was scraping every speed bump because they didn't refit the plastic under tray correctly. I am here now for the 3rd time, hoping for a better technician, as the first 2 were quite rubbish.

• Informative
Reactions: Rirawin
For the people in the Bristol area I can recommend Lee at FCM Motorsport FCM Motorsport

Fcm Wheel Alignment - facebook page with loads of reviews.

I've used them several times for Subaru Imprezas, Mazda MPS etc and they always do a great job for under £100

Update - after recommending Lee as he did good work on my previous cars, I contacted him and he said he doesn't work on Teslas :(

Update - after recommending Lee as he did good work on my previous cars, I contacted him and he said he doesn't work on Teslas :(
I’d always be sure they’ve actually done the work on your car before making the recommendation.

There’s still plenty of good garages and tyre places that are (secretly?!) allergic to EVs. Some for entirely practical reasons, others for moral/philosophical/religious reasons (read they hate or are scared of them).

For the 3 or Y, I've had pretty good sucsess once I've explained that the suspension on them is very normal and no one needs to go near the HV stuff. Up to the guy obviously, but no reason for anyone to be scared of the Y and 3. S and X more complex.

View attachment 932029
Yes the same.

Mine was bad from new but they managed to sort it only 3 months in ownership so had to pay

For the 3 or Y, I've had pretty good sucsess once I've explained that the suspension on them is very normal and no one needs to go near the HV stuff. Up to the guy obviously, but no reason for anyone to be scared of the Y and 3. S and X more complex.
The only diff is the air suspension setup on the S & X.

Find a good tyre place. Trouble is most ordinary non-car people think they can only take a car to Tesla or Kwik Twits.

My guys in Witham don’t blink an eye if I bring in my Taycan or the X - will do a better job as they are properly trained, have the correct Hunter alignment jig, aren’t scared of EVs and most importantly are car enthusiasts rather than poor basted at Kwik Fidge on minimum wage that don’t give two shits about you, or your car.