TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wheel spacers

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by FlyYellow, Mar 14, 2014.

1. FlyYellow

FlyYellow Member

Anyone found hub centric wheel spacers? If so please do share a link.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Even if you can find them, I'd strongly recommend against using them. You can never get them properly torqued and risk the wheel coming off. Spacers are for teenagers with T/As.

3. v3lzie

v3lzie Member

I love the FUD that always comes up when someone mentions spacers. As long as the studs are long enough and torqued properly, they're perfectly fine. I agree a small 1/4 or 3/8 spacer would look nice and give a little more clearance on the inside of the wheel well (since it seems awfully tight stock).

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

This isn't FUD. Seen it happen too many times even with properly torqued and long enough studs. The problem is the multiple mating surfaces that work lose. Yes, you could check the torque before every drive, but I doubt anyone would do that.

5. v3lzie

v3lzie Member

Not maliciously so, and I'll certainly agree with you that they're one more thing that could possibly go wrong. (And if or when a spacer does fail, it's no doubt more disasterous than the lesser aesthetics of not running a spacer.) That being said, I've run spacers on my very high horsepower Cobra for years without issue, and I'd happily put them on the Tesla, too, if I could find a high quality piece. But they're not for everyone.

6. JST

JST Active Member

Porsche fits spacers as an option from the factory on a variety of cars. I think that's a fair indication that, when used and sized properly, there's nothing wrong with them.

7. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Spacers would need to be 1 inch at least to have any aesthetic or cornering performance impact, it would seem. So you now have 2 wms instead of one. Plus the lug nuts are now 1 inch further out on the bolts, bending, bending with every launch, every back off (to full regen). Plus owner so hung on aesthetics would naturally have some sort of aftermarket rims which likely come with non OEM nuts adding further unknowns to the equation. Re-Torque often!!
    --

8. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Perhaps, but you can be assured that the spacers were properly designed and engineered for the car if they were offered by the company. You don't get that guarantee otherwise. Neither an endorsement/promotion or warning... just something to think about.

9. JST

JST Active Member

Sure. You have to buy from a reputable company. But people seem generally comfortable fitting aftermarket wheels; I don't really see why spacers are any different. I used a set of 5 mm spacers on my old BMW winter wheels so that I could mount E46 wheels to an E90, and they worked perfectly fine. No issues at all.

To answer the OPs original question, I am not sure--but you may want to contact a BMW tuner like UUC or Turner and see if they'd be willing to start offering a set.

10. FlyYellow

FlyYellow Member

I've used quality spacers on my Porsche's both a 996TT and a CTTS without any problem. The real issue is getting a hub centric quality spacer and making sure you have enough turns of the thread and proper torque. I always rechecked it 50 miles after driving for any settling issues and then it was good. I would like to find some quality 5mm hub centric spacers. In my case I run 255/30/22 up front and I need a little more clearance.

11. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> The real issue is getting a hub centric quality spacer and making sure you have enough turns of the thread and proper torque. [FlyYellow]

5mm = 0.197 inch. You can get t6061 Al in 0.19 and 0.25 inch plate from one online supplier and make your own spacers. Other suppliers might have 0.20 plate. Assume these are for fitting rims that would hit the calipers otherwise. T6061 and the like should be sufficient quality for this service.
    --

12. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

I ordered 5mm hub centric spacers from this place: https://www.motorsport-tech.com

I just put them on, and it removed the vibration I was getting at 60mph+.

Cost was $35/ea (needed 2). They made them the same day!

Tesla Bore Size: 64mm (went with 64.1, just in case)
    Wheel bore size: 72.56mm

• Informative x 1
  13. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

I have a P85D with a staggered setup and air suspension that I recently installed HRE RS102M's - 245/40/20 (20x9) in front and 285/35/30 (20x10.5) in rear. However, on alignment we noticed some slight rubbing on the rears. Below is a picture of the side with the worst wear.

IMG_3311.JPG

It doesn't look too bad but I think I need some small spacers to prevent this. I don't know much on this topic but I'm thinking I could get something similar to @tdiggity above and go with 5mm hub centric spacers from www.motorsports-tech.com. Regarding centricity, there are 2 options listed on the website and I want to make sure which option is correct. These particular wheels are hub centric so I'm pretty sure I need the hub centric spacers; I don't know where the machined lip will fit on my wheels. Below are the centricity options from the motorsports-tech.com website:

Hub Centric to Vehicle Hub
    This is a flat spacer that fits perfectly tight on the hub.

Hub Centric to Vehicle and Wheel Centric to Wheel
    Fits hub perfectly tight and, where wheel bolts to adapter, a custom machined adapter lip fits perfectly tight into wheel's center hole. This extra measure positively influences the ride and kills vibration. Highly recommended for newer vehicles and those which will be used for towing.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards, Ben

14. Vuvision

Vuvision Member

I have spacers on my P85D, and also on a few of my Italian & German mid engine toys. Please do your homework before making such blanket statement.

15. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

A 5mm hub centric spacer should correct the rubbing on the rear and retain the OEM studs and lug nuts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Hub-Centric-Wheel-Spacers-5mm-5x114-3-64-1-64mm-fit-Honda-Acura-/231811964352?hash=item35f911ddc0:g:xAwAAOSwHaBWlVPU&vxp=mtr

s-l1600.jpg

QUOTE=benjiejr;1345668]I have a P85D with a staggered setup and air suspension that I recently installed HRE RS102M's - 245/40/20 (20x9) in front and 285/35/30 (20x10.5) in rear. However, on alignment we noticed some slight rubbing on the rears. Below is a picture of the side with the worst wear.

It doesn't look too bad but I think I need some small spacers to prevent this. I don't know much on this topic but I'm thinking I could get something similar to @tdiggity above and go with 5mm hub centric spacers from www.motorsports-tech.com. Regarding centricity, there are 2 options listed on the website and I want to make sure which option is correct. These particular wheels are hub centric so I'm pretty sure I need the hub centric spacers; I don't know where the machined lip will fit on my wheels. Below are the centricity options from the motorsports-tech.com website:

Hub Centric to Vehicle Hub
    This is a flat spacer that fits perfectly tight on the hub.

Hub Centric to Vehicle and Wheel Centric to Wheel
    Fits hub perfectly tight and, where wheel bolts to adapter, a custom machined adapter lip fits perfectly tight into wheel's center hole. This extra measure positively influences the ride and kills vibration. Highly recommended for newer vehicles and those which will be used for towing.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards, Ben[/QUOTE]

16. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Updated link for correct Hub & Wheel Centric spacers for the Tesla Model S.

Tesla Model S Wheel Spacers 4 Spacers 15mm (F) & 18mm (R) by Adaptec Made In USA

upload_2016-9-5_11-38-24.png

17. Gears

Gears Member

Anyone tried to order a set for a new non "P" model with Slipstream wheels. There rear tire is especially tucked in the wheel well, but that is probably done for better aerodynamics designed by engineering department.

18. artsci

artsci Sponsor