Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheels. 20" or 22

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Generally, 22" would be lower profile than 20's. That is there is less side wall, and one needs to be aware of curbs and structures that could scratch the rims. Also, 22" are usually more expensive than 20" inch tires. Not so much due to the product, but manufacturers produce more 20's. It is a Good move to get away from 21" that are on the S. 21" inch tires are more expensive than either. Had the X come with 21", I would have gotten the 19", sold them and installed aftermarket 22".

You may also note on the Model S page that the 19" provide better mileage than the 21" tires. That may well be the case with 22" vs. 20". On the plus side, the 22" rims and tires may look a lot better on the high body of the SUV. So 22" have more "style" points IMO.

I think the 22" look amazing on the mules, so I'm going for it against my better judgement. Will use 20" in winter and will sell the 22"s if the ride or wear is worse than anticipated.
Great choice! Have to say, that even though there is the inconvenience of switching out wheels twice a year, we have been loving the looks of the gray 21" wheels on our model S!

Yes. Same outer tire diameter and circumference on both wheel sizes so the tire is "thinner" (or has a lower profile) on the 22" wheel.

thank you, that helps me understand.

Sigx #867

- - - Updated - - -

IMO this decision depends more on your road and weather conditions than anything else. We have excellent roads and the entire state is flat as a pancake; plus there's no real winter here. I'm going for 22"s

LA with hill and lots of tight bends but also freeways and the PCH

sigx #867

IMO this decision depends more on your road and weather conditions than anything else. We have excellent roads and the entire state is flat as a pancake; plus there's no real winter here. I'm going for 22"s

I feel like the 22's make sense to get full "sig value", and then you can sell them or get another set for winter.

And in the opposite case, we have cold weather, potholes, our state is broke, and I've split several Model S 21" low-profile tires. I'll stick with 20". :)

- - - Updated - - -

I feel like the 22's make sense to get full "sig value", and then you can sell them or get another set for winter.

You have a point. I viewed obtaining a new set of wheels and selling the 22" ones a bit of a hassle. Wonder what the difference will be.