Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When bad software practices become the norm...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP here. What I experienced was this: huge vampire loss of 50 miles in 4 days parked unplugged at airport. Also found car took almost 10 minutes to boot up upon return. Outside temp was 91.

When I got home, I exited car and came back 15 min later and AC was still running. Outside temp was 75 and I had just driven 2+ hours. Never noticed this before. Checked settings, and saw that overheat protection ON. I turned it OFF and AC stopped immediately.

Maybe I drew an incorrect correlation between overheat protection and my specific battery drain issue. Certainly appeared to be the culprit.

Regardless... I never turned this parameter on. Doesn’t matter if it was added a week ago or a year ago. I stand by my assertion. New parameters should be born OFF. Full stop.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
When I got home, I exited car and came back 15 min later and AC was still running. Outside temp was 75 and I had just driven 2+ hours. Never noticed this before. Checked settings, and saw that overheat protection ON. I turned it OFF and AC stopped immediately.

It seems unlikely they this scenereo would be caused by overheat protection. Overheat protection kicks in when the cabin temp exceeds 105 degrees, the battery has more than 20% available, and you have driven the car in the past 12 hours. It seems very unlikely that the cabin would have hit 105 degrees 15 minutes after a drive when it was only 75 out.

Were you charging at the time? The ac will run as necessary to cool the battery while the car is charging.

Reactions: jgs
It seems unlikely they this scenereo would be caused by overheat protection. Overheat protection kicks in when the cabin temp exceeds 105 degrees, the battery has more than 20% available, and you have driven the car in the past 12 hours. It seems very unlikely that the cabin would have hit 105 degrees 15 minutes after a drive when it was only 75 out.

Were you charging at the time? The ac will run as necessary to cool the battery while the car is charging.
No. Wasn’t charging. As you and others have explained how function is supposed to work, I agree it should not have been problem. Car was certainly not at 105.

However it is fact that AC was running until I turned overheat protection off. So maybe I have SW issue and it is not working correctly.

I went to a meeting two weeks ago. Car was acting a bit "odd". For example, turn signals didn't have the familiar "click" sound. No noise, but radio still worked. Figured I'd call tesla/reboot when I was done with the meeting.

Came out to find the radio was still on and the heat was still on. This was BEFORE I opened the door.

Car continued to act odd... I rebooted and all back to "normal".

I went to a meeting two weeks ago. Car was acting a bit "odd". For example, turn signals didn't have the familiar "click" sound. No noise, but radio still worked. Figured I'd call tesla/reboot when I was done with the meeting.

Came out to find the radio was still on and the heat was still on. This was BEFORE I opened the door.

Car continued to act odd... I rebooted and all back to "normal".

And this has what to do with bad software practices of defaulting new features "on" ?

Or, HVAC heating concerns, which is what this thread has become...

Strange twists.

40 miles is a lot in 4 days. I don’t lose that many but I do have cabin overheat enabled.

Cabin overheat only works for 24 hours since the car was last driven. It should not have kept your car awake after the first 24 hours.

In my case Cabin Overheat feature causes charging fault if the vehicle attempts to charge while cabin overheat is cooling the vehicle. Service couldn't figure out what the problem was, so they gave me a new wall charger. I have turned the feature off permanently.

FWIW, I now see others have reported same HVAC and vampire loss behavior and attributed to recent SW update and new behavior of smart preconditioning. So I am not alone! Out of town again, but will check smart preconditioning setting on return. Though I’d swear turning off overheat protection fixed it for me.

I had the Climate stay on for 3 days over Christmas because car was not in use and Alexa misheard a command and turned Climate on. The culprit here was the recent change from Remote Climate activation that used to be 30 minutes to now being "forever" (until battery falls to 20% I think).

In my case I was able to diagnose this because I have TeslaFi logging the cars data (i.e. to diagnose when it started) and b) Alex has a History of commands executed.

I think all such retrospective changes sent OTA should have a CONFIG setting and, as the O/P said, be OFF at the outset.

Similarly the last Glossy Update changed the look and feel of my central screen from something I liked and was key in my buying decision to something I don't like. I'm dyslexic, and the "flat" style of buttons is much harder for me to interact with. I also don't like that the map grows to replace the button, the buttons become hidden, and I have to press the screen, wait, then re-find where the buttons have appeared. This, for me, is a significant "slow processing" activity for my brain. So this too IMHO should have been a CONFIG setting choice of Classic / New

If it is important that users consider a new option, rather than naively leave it at "default", then I would favour some sort of Nag screen to remind them that the option exists. Back to Alexa: I like that I get an Email periodically telling me of various commands I might try, so I think that some sort of "Did you know ..." would help with the transition to new Tech. How the heck do Youngsters find out such things as having to shake an iPhone for Undeleted? I ask because I had to get one of them to tell me how it was done :rolleyes:, and surely the first person had to discover it some how?o_O "By chance" or "By iterative experiment" is a rubbish way to learn, particularly when your first discovery that a function has changed is on your way to the scene of the accident :(

A similar issue is when Wifee is the first to use the car after an update, she presses OK on the Info screen, and I then hop in the car with no knowledge that an update has occurred ... perhaps the act of changing the Driver Profile should re-display that screen (if not yet marked READ), along with "Did you know ..." emails to all registered users of the car after every update perhaps?.