Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When Chill Mode becomes Panic Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

whatthe2

Dec 16, 2016
Denver, CO
My daughter just got her learners permit so I took her out yesterday to learn to drive my P3D Stealth. Of course I turned on Chill Mode for her. All went well and we returned home unscathed.

This morning I got in my car and did the usual “fun gun” and the car was super slow. I immediately thought, WTF is wrong with my car?? After a moment of panic, I remembered I forgot to turn off Chill Mode.

This was the first time in over a year I’ve had the car I’ve driven in Chill Mode. Cool feature, but glad to have my performance back. :D

Mine is learning too. Eek. Definitely chill mode. But she now has her own profile.

I'd think your last sentence is the key here. Driver profiles control more than just the seat, steering wheel, and mirror positions; they also control most or all of the options you can set for Autopilot, chill mode, creep, etc. I don't recall seeing a thread here on recommended settings for learning or teenage drivers, but that seems like a topic worth discussing. I have no children, especially of driving age, so I haven't given the matter much thought, but I'm sure there are lots of options you might want to set in a learning/teen driver's profile.

• Informative
Reactions: whatthe2
I'd think your last sentence is the key here. Driver profiles control more than just the seat, steering wheel, and mirror positions; they also control most or all of the options you can set for Autopilot, chill mode, creep, etc. I don't recall seeing a thread here on recommended settings for learning or teenage drivers, but that seems like a topic worth discussing. I have no children, especially of driving age, so I haven't given the matter much thought, but I'm sure there are lots of options you might want to set in a learning/teen driver's profile.
That's a great reminder. I setup a profile for seats and mirror, but didn't think to dive deeper.

I for one would love to hear recommendations. We will be getting our Model 3, LR soon and we have a 16 year old daughter with a brand new driver's license. I told her that she would be allowed to drive the car after a thorough exam checking that she knows where everything is and that she understands how the reg braking works. Truth be told, the same goes for my husband and I as well. ;)

I for one would love to hear recommendations. We will be getting our Model 3, LR soon and we have a 16 year old daughter with a brand new driver's license. I told her that she would be allowed to drive the car after a thorough exam checking that she knows where everything is and that she understands how the reg braking works. Truth be told, the same goes for my husband and I as well. ;)
The custom profile is great. I would also recommend letting her drive it around a parking lot until she’s super comfortable. I’m sure this goes without saying, but my daughter noticed how differently it drives from a Volvo XC90 (any ICE really). I’m definitely going to let her practice for a while longer before she takes it out on main roads so she’s used to it.

I think those of us that have been driving for a while and have driven different cars adapt easier and more quickly to the Tesla than a new driver.