Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do I maintain my Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. That does not look like anything I would personally want to tackle. On my Lexus I just opened the glove compartment and slid out the filter. There were no panels to remove, no screws to pull out, no wires to unclip. That’s just a pain in the butt to get to.
Looks like it's less work than changing the bioweapon mode filter in the Model S:

some cars have the filter under the glove box - but many have it in a similar position to the Tesla - I changed that on Mazda 3, Acura MDX. Yes, a bit more involved - but certainly DIYable ,,

yeah - other than that - wiper blades (when needed), tire rotation (every 5-10K perhaps / as needed), brake fluid they claim 2 years - and in humid climates - maybe - but you could test the fluid to see if it really needs that - and a Motive Fluid bleeder is cheap and again is an easy DIY if you are going to rotate your own tires.

Battery coolant - need to do that at the service center at 4 years to maintain battery warranty - but I plan to do all the other routine stuff above myself ...

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
You've been ninja'd. :p When do I maintain my Model 3?

Any word on what Tesla prices replacements at, assuming they'll sell one to you? Have any 3rd party replacement parts shown up yet?

If the cabin filters are like every other car I’ve owned, the part will be available on Amazon or at Walmart for $5 to $10. Or Tesla will gladly charge you $100 to change them and save you 10 minutes of DIY time. :)

Reactions: SammichLover
If the cabin filters are like every other car I’ve owned, the part will be available on Amazon or at Walmart for $5 to $10.

The thing is that Tesla is notoriously unfriendly to 3rd party supply chain. Manufacturers through retailers. Plus they are relatively new and until 6 months ago the Model 3 fleet was tiny, and there was still reasonable questions about financial and logistics viability of Tesla to get more vehicles out. Trying to find 3rd party parts and specialized tools for all sorts of normally basic things is very difficult still.

That's why I'm asking explicitly if someone has seen them.

<edit> Incidentally I've seen Model S owners mention that Tesla does sell the filters for DIY and charge "$10 to $20" for them. Unless you've got the Biowarfare Whatchamacallit option which is a lot more pricy. So it isn't overly soaking people, even if it is almost certainly going to be more expensive for the set of two compared to what a 3rd party will eventually sell them for. The other thing 3rd party suppliers will do will offer higher filtration capability filters, like activated charcoal and HEPA. I've seen those for the nose cone Model S cars, just never come across a Model 3 one yet.

Last edited:
some cars have the filter under the glove box - but many have it in a similar position to the Tesla - I changed that on Mazda 3, Acura MDX. Yes, a bit more involved - but certainly DIYable ,,

yeah - other than that - wiper blades (when needed), tire rotation (every 5-10K perhaps / as needed), brake fluid they claim 2 years - and in humid climates - maybe - but you could test the fluid to see if it really needs that - and a Motive Fluid bleeder is cheap and again is an easy DIY if you are going to rotate your own tires.

Battery coolant - need to do that at the service center at 4 years to maintain battery warranty - but I plan to do all the other routine stuff above myself ...

You don't ever need to do any maintenance to keep the warranty. Nor is the coolant thing even mentioned as a required item anymore.

Only "replace every X years" items listed anymore are:

cabin filter (2-3 years depending on type/model)
AC desiccant (every 2, 4, or 6 years depending on model)

That's it. And recommend you check brake fluid every 2 then change as needed.

Car Maintenance

Tesla said:
Does my car require an annual maintenance service?
Your Tesla does not require annual maintenance and regular fluid changes. Please check your Owner’s Manual for latest maintenance recommendations for your Tesla.

If I choose not to service my Tesla car, will this void my warranty?
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Used Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be affected if recommended service is not performed.

When will my first maintenance be for Model 3, it's at 4665 miles as of now, checking on the app. I took delivery Dec 31, so it's been 3 months of use.

The Tesla range is excellent, I can def do round trips to places 2-3 hours away and make it back home with only 90% to start. At this rate, I'm driving this car alot more than my BMW M3, which only had 36k miles in the time I owned it from Dec 2012 till sold in 2019. There were other factors, like still driving an older Lexus that I put more miles on. I feel alot less calculative about how far I drive since I don't need to ever stop for gas, or even to charge up.

How do you know when you need to do maintenance, will there be a notification on car that maintenance is needed? Like through car or app?

Will maintenance be cheaper than a gas based car, and hopefully less things to fix around?
Tire rotation around 6K miles

You don't ever need to do any maintenance to keep the warranty. Nor is the coolant thing even mentioned as a required item anymore.

Only "replace every X years" items listed anymore are:

cabin filter (2-3 years depending on type/model)
AC desiccant (every 2, 4, or 6 years depending on model)

That's it. And recommend you check brake fluid every 2 then change as needed.

Car Maintenance

The coolant and brake fluid is still in the user manual as needing to be replaced on a schedule. So they will need to remove it from there if they are actually changing that requirement. Especially since that webpage tells you to check your manual for the latest.

The coolant and brake fluid is still in the user manual as needing to be replaced on a schedule. So they will need to remove it from there if they are actually changing that requirement. Especially since that webpage tells you to check your manual for the latest.

The manual is routinely out of date (and predates the updated page I linked to)

Though even the previous "do X every Y years" info also said ignoring all the suggestions wouldn't void your warranty so that hasn't changed.

The manual is routinely out of date (and predates the updated page I linked to)

Well, the manual in my car post-dates the updated webpage (since 2019.8.5 just came out this week and it now has the new NoA instructions) and it still has the brake and battery coolant intervals.

And if the manual is always out of date, why do they instruct you first to see the manual for the latest maintenance intervals? They must intend for the manual to be the source document.

So until my user manual is changed, the brake fluid and battery coolant intervals are valid.

So until my user manual is changed, the brake fluid and battery coolant intervals are valid.

Valid, but to what point. You don't have to do the maintenance to maintain your warranty, it is just a recommendation, not a requirement.

And here is the current maintenance items and prices:
Tesla Maintenance Costs 04-06-2019.png

• Informative
Reactions: tambam
Coming from being a long time Lexus owner, those prices seems very reasonable. I used to pay a minimum of $300 for a 5,000 mile oil change.

well that's insane...

I never paid more than 50-60 bucks for an oil change at Lexus.

The trick was not telling them "I want the X miles service" because then they'd tack on a ton of useless "inspections" and jack the price up. I'd just ask for oil and filter change, and it was always ~50 bucks plus tax.

Last edited:
Reactions: COrocket