Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do you charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the green zone ;)
evpge _rate.JPG

Per hour? No matter how much electricity you use? That's a good plan.

I pay $0.06/kWh 24x7 so doesn't matter when, but I do charge at 1am so to not tax the grid.

I think that's meant to be per kWh... Aka... 10kWh costs you $6.50 (which i would certainly call outrageous!)

Hopefully i'm wrong.

EDIT: Nope. He's in Cali. I'm sure i'm right now. I'll add that to my reasons to stay far far far far far away from Cali.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
Well, I did this little cheat sheet for my wife and I in the utility room. She was always asking 'what time can I wash??" Its calibrated to our "average" KW by time of day. It gives us an idea how small changes in when you use energy can make a real difference. It was mostly a joke but sadly, its true ;)
Yep... my current EV rate. 10kw in the dead of summer during peak hour costs me about $5.50 but the flip side is I also get credit at the same rate with my solar so I'm also cashing in big credits during those periods of time (assuming I'm over producing)
So yeah, I don't charge during the red period.. OUTRAGEOUS!

.06c/KW???? I'm guessing not much solar out there!

I charge on sunny days. My utility quit doing net metering AFTER I installed solar. Now my equivalent of off-peak for everyone else is when my solar is producing and I'm getting cheated out of my investment in solar.

But I'm not bitter. Much.

That's sad to hear, BerTX. Do they also charge you time of use rates?
One idea I've been thinking about is shifting your car charging times to match solar production. This is a bit tricky, if you have net metering coupled with TOU rates. If you have flat electric rates, this is a no brainer. And then, some people may want to drive on sunlight regardless of price. I'm wondering if there's a set of rules that doesn't make this horribly complicated for people to understand.

That's sad to hear, BerTX. Do they also charge you time of use rates?
One idea I've been thinking about is shifting your car charging times to match solar production. This is a bit tricky, if you have net metering coupled with TOU rates. If you have flat electric rates, this is a no brainer. And then, some people may want to drive on sunlight regardless of price. I'm wondering if there's a set of rules that doesn't make this horribly complicated for people to understand.

No, no TOU available if you have solar.

Fortunately I don't drive every day, so I'm playing with trying to charge over several days, turning the charge on and off as the sun comes out. A PITA, but just trying to get a feel for a pattern.

Basically if the meter runs backward, they pay me 5 cents/kWh, and if it runs forward, they charge me 9 cents/kWh. I have always been happy in the past (under net metering) when the meter ran backward. Now it actually means I'm losing money, in a way. I've been trying to come up with ways to concentrate my usage during the day, only washing clothes or running the dishwasher at while the panels are producing. I can't do much about a/c or heating use -- we need that when we need it.

It's more the principle of the thing -- my electric use is still never over $50. Just p/o that they changed the rules.

Regarding the survey, one of the questions asks about ToU plans, and whether they are offered. I have PG&E, which offers a ToU plan, however I have chosen not to sign up for it. That combination doesn't appear to be listed.

Also, I bailed out of the survey (did not submit) because when it got to asking whether I would pay for an app, it started feeling like less than an innocent survey. What is this information intended to be used for?

PG&E Tool
Regarding the survey, one of the questions asks about ToU plans, and whether they are offered. I have PG&E, which offers a ToU plan, however I have chosen not to sign up for it. That combination doesn't appear to be listed.

Also, I bailed out of the survey (did not submit) because when it got to asking whether I would pay for an app, it started feeling like less than an innocent survey. What is this information intended to be used for?
EV rate plan is a lot cheaper for me.

PG&E Toolkit is an app on iPhone that costs $5 and saved me $500 by telling me which rate plan to use before I got my solar system and EV. Since then, PG&E has reduced the number of rate plans. However, their EV rate plan is by far and away the least expensive for those with an EV.

Last edited:

I just answered that I wouldn't use the app. I saw nothing of value in it.