Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do you think the 2170 battery comes to MX and MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if the technology and production capacity were ready today for a longer range battery, it would seem they already have demand levers in place through the end of 2018 (for the U.S. anyways) - loss of the tax credit - even if only $3750 difference - its still psychological for people not wanting to miss an opportunity for seemingly free money. Plus, still no meaningful competition. Seems more likely that a longer range battery or any other significant features would not happen until January 2019.

Even if the technology and production capacity were ready today for a longer range battery, it would seem they already have demand levers in place through the end of 2018 - loss of the tax credit - even if only $3750 difference - its still psychological for people not wanting to miss an opportunity for seemingly free money. Plus, still no meaningful competition. Seems more likely that a longer range battery or any other significant features would not happen until January 2019.
I think Musk is telling me that with his tweets, but my own view is that it would a good improvement to offer for no more cost than a current 100D at the same time the $7500 tax incentive get slashed in half.

Reactions: timx
I think Musk is telling me that with his tweets, but my own view is that it would a good improvement to offer for no more cost than a current 100D at the same time the $7500 tax incentive get slashed in half.
Seems that would also provide a clean break such that customers having the tax credit option would be less disappointed if missing out on features, such that price reductions to existing orders wouldn’t be expected. Similar to end of 2016 - loss of free supercharging and ventilated seats (as was communicated) vs new 100D range.

Seems that would also provide a clean break such that customers having the tax credit option would be less disappointed if missing out on features, such that price reductions to existing orders wouldn’t be expected. Similar to end of 2016 - loss of free supercharging and ventilated seats (as was communicated) vs new 100D range.
Thank you!
Tesla has plenty of options to keep the excitement going. Out here in the west, long range would allow us to roam more broadly, like into the national parks.