TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

When do you think we can sit inside a production model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, May 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

I know there is a private viewing in a few days followed by the official final reveal in July... But, when do you think regular people can sit in one to make final judgment on their purchase decision? Are the seats comfortable? Are the interior materials of satisfactory quality? Do I fit? Is egress easy? Rear visibility, Etc.

• Like x 1
  2. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

All good questions. Maybe they will allocate the first batch to various showrooms. I doubt they will do so with the current fleet of test mules.

3. N5329K

N5329K Member

These are the key questions. I believe it will take me all of five minutes to decide, after getting into and sitting in a Model 3, whether it's the right car for me or not.
    Robin

• Like x 2
  4. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

I don't think the test mules would answer the questions.....

• Funny x 1
  5. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Hopefully, they'll have demo cars available locally in the next few months for test drives. Or at least a show car we can sit in even if it's not available for driving. Since Tesla is rolling out deliveries from West to East, it may make sense to likewise allocate their test vehicles to stores if they don't have the capacity to stock all stores at the same time nationwide.

6. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

Not any time soon. Tesla has no incentive to try and round up new M3 customers or sway someone on the fence. With a backlog of about 400k orders to fill, having model 3s available in showrooms probably won't be a priority for a while. Plus the showrooms I've been to can barely fit 2 cars so finding room for a M3 and moving out an S or X is likely another reason not to hurry up and fill showrooms with a M3

• Disagree x 2
  7. Runt8

Runt8 Member

I swear it was stated that there would be models available to test drive as soon as production started. Can't seem to find it now...

8. Runt8

Runt8 Member

Seems unreasonable to me to expect people to drop this kind of money sight unseen - there's a huge difference between a $1000 refundable deposit and a $35,000+ car.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  9. timk225

timk225 Member

#9 timk225, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
    How many Tesla stores are there across the USA? Can't be that many, the first couple days of production should be enough to give each store one or two.

And as someone said, putting down a refundable deposit of $1000 is a lot different than committing to a $35,000 purchase. Who has ever bought a car without seeing it in person first?

• Like x 3
  10. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

If there are demos out there I think it will be very few. I remember trying to find an S w/o leather to see it in person. Telsa rep.'s could not find one in the whole state. So I just got the leather, no regrets.

I do want to sit in one, check the size,cargo etc.... But I agree, it will take me less than 5 minutes

11. S3XY

S3XY Member

I have but I'm sure very few people have done it. I bought a Honda Pilot when they first came out and there were none in the dealerships until mine was delivered. Although I think it was only $32k. Since it was based on the MDX I had an idea about the size and I had seen the concept drawing but that was it. I actually got mine the day before they were supposed to start selling them. I might have to do the same with the Model 3 since there aren't any Tesla stores around here. My best hope is that the stores in Canada will get some about the same time as we do. Then I could take a run to the Oakville store to have a look. Even if they don't get them before I have to order I'm sure I'd go there to at least look at the color choices. I'm so up in the air on the color I want and there's no sure way to know what they'll look like other than seeing them in person.

12. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

The salesperson who sold us the x is also getting a 3. He told me once he receives it he will bring it over for me to see/drive.
    I'm sure he will get pretty early.

• Like x 1
  13. EdFerg

EdFerg Member

Love what I see so far, but I ain't converting my reservation into an order until I can drive one. Maybe that means I bribe an early owner for a test drive.

14. joefee

joefee 2M+ page views on TMC Threads

Over 1000 of us waited for years and had no opportunity to test drive our Signature Model S which cost six figures.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

Looking in the wrong place? ;)

Model 3 Owners Club on Twitter

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  16. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

Maybe more than you think have. I for one have bought several including my S . Two Hondas and a Volvo were among them.

17. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

• Informative x 1
  18. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

I have bought three that way that I remember for certain. It may be uncommon but certainly not rare.

19. arjay

arjay member

$35k is a lot of money to commit for a sight unseen and unfelt purchase of a "revolutionary" vehicle. I'm guessing a majority of the M3 owners live two hours or less from a Tesla showroom. While two hours can be a pain, we M3 crazies would put up with the trip. Hopefully Tesla will send at least one car each to showrooms near where their customers are located. Here in So.Calif that might mean one each in LA, San Diego, and Santa Barbara at a minimum. If we envision a west to east roll out over a few months, that could be managed with as few as about 20-ish cars to begin with and eventually end 300 or so for the whole country.

I too need to see and feel colors, textures, ergonomics so a real sit-in car is required. Hopefully additional colors and materials available can be shown from the existing S and X stock.

20. Runt8

Runt8 Member