Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do you think we can sit inside a production model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there is a private viewing in a few days followed by the official final reveal in July... But, when do you think regular people can sit in one to make final judgment on their purchase decision? Are the seats comfortable? Are the interior materials of satisfactory quality? Do I fit? Is egress easy? Rear visibility, Etc.

Reactions: N5329K
Hopefully, they'll have demo cars available locally in the next few months for test drives. Or at least a show car we can sit in even if it's not available for driving. Since Tesla is rolling out deliveries from West to East, it may make sense to likewise allocate their test vehicles to stores if they don't have the capacity to stock all stores at the same time nationwide.

I know there is a private viewing in a few days followed by the official final reveal in July... But, when do you think regular people can sit in one to make final judgment on their purchase decision? Are the seats comfortable? Are the interior materials of satisfactory quality? Do I fit? Is egress easy? Rear visibility, Etc.
Not any time soon. Tesla has no incentive to try and round up new M3 customers or sway someone on the fence. With a backlog of about 400k orders to fill, having model 3s available in showrooms probably won't be a priority for a while. Plus the showrooms I've been to can barely fit 2 cars so finding room for a M3 and moving out an S or X is likely another reason not to hurry up and fill showrooms with a M3

Not any time soon. Tesla has no incentive to try and round up new M3 customers or sway someone on the fence. With a backlog of about 400k orders to fill, having model 3s available in showrooms probably won't be a priority for a while. Plus the showrooms I've been to can barely fit 2 cars so finding room for a M3 and moving out an S or X is likely another reason not to hurry up and fill showrooms with a M3
Seems unreasonable to me to expect people to drop this kind of money sight unseen - there's a huge difference between a $1000 refundable deposit and a $35,000+ car.

Hopefully, they'll have demo cars available locally in the next few months for test drives. Or at least a show car we can sit in even if it's not available for driving. Since Tesla is rolling out deliveries from West to East, it may make sense to likewise allocate their test vehicles to stores if they don't have the capacity to stock all stores at the same time nationwide.

How many Tesla stores are there across the USA? Can't be that many, the first couple days of production should be enough to give each store one or two.

And as someone said, putting down a refundable deposit of $1000 is a lot different than committing to a $35,000 purchase. Who has ever bought a car without seeing it in person first?

Last edited:
Are the seats comfortable? Are the interior materials of satisfactory quality?
If there are demos out there I think it will be very few. I remember trying to find an S w/o leather to see it in person. Telsa rep.'s could not find one in the whole state. So I just got the leather, no regrets.

These are the key questions. I believe it will take me all of five minutes to decide, after getting into and sitting in a Model 3, whether it's the right car for me or not.
Robin
I do want to sit in one, check the size,cargo etc.... But I agree, it will take me less than 5 minutes

How many Tesla stores are there across the USA? Can't be that many, the first couple days of production should be enough to give each store one or two.

And as someone said, putting down a refundable deposit of $1000 is a lot different than committing to a $35,000 purchase. Who has ever bought a car without seeing it in person first?
I have but I'm sure very few people have done it. I bought a Honda Pilot when they first came out and there were none in the dealerships until mine was delivered. Although I think it was only $32k. Since it was based on the MDX I had an idea about the size and I had seen the concept drawing but that was it. I actually got mine the day before they were supposed to start selling them. I might have to do the same with the Model 3 since there aren't any Tesla stores around here. My best hope is that the stores in Canada will get some about the same time as we do. Then I could take a run to the Oakville store to have a look. Even if they don't get them before I have to order I'm sure I'd go there to at least look at the color choices. I'm so up in the air on the color I want and there's no sure way to know what they'll look like other than seeing them in person.

I have but I'm sure very few people have done it. I bought a Honda Pilot when they first came out and there were none in the dealerships until mine was delivered. Although I think it was only $32k. Since it was based on the MDX I had an idea about the size and I had seen the concept drawing but that was it. I actually got mine the day before they were supposed to start selling them. I might have to do the same with the Model 3 since there aren't any Tesla stores around here. My best hope is that the stores in Canada will get some about the same time as we do. Then I could take a run to the Oakville store to have a look. Even if they don't get them before I have to order I'm sure I'd go there to at least look at the color choices. I'm so up in the air on the color I want and there's no sure way to know what they'll look like other than seeing them in person.
Maybe more than you think have. I for one have bought several including my S . Two Hondas and a Volvo were among them.

$35k is a lot of money to commit for a sight unseen and unfelt purchase of a "revolutionary" vehicle. I'm guessing a majority of the M3 owners live two hours or less from a Tesla showroom. While two hours can be a pain, we M3 crazies would put up with the trip. Hopefully Tesla will send at least one car each to showrooms near where their customers are located. Here in So.Calif that might mean one each in LA, San Diego, and Santa Barbara at a minimum. If we envision a west to east roll out over a few months, that could be managed with as few as about 20-ish cars to begin with and eventually end 300 or so for the whole country.

I too need to see and feel colors, textures, ergonomics so a real sit-in car is required. Hopefully additional colors and materials available can be shown from the existing S and X stock.