Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to break out the credit card for FSD?

When to break out the credit card for FSD?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
Many of us here figured to save money upfront by not getting FSD and waiting until Tesla did something with it. Much of our decision was validated as it took about 14 months for Tesla to hit AP1 parity.

Now that it is getting closer, should we break out the credit card?

I'm going to guess Tesla has about 100,000 cars with AP2/2.5 that they can score $4,000 in revenue from which is 400,000,000. Not an unsubstantial and sneaky source of capital raise.

I'm really just tempted to pull the trigger just to add to the short seller burn for Q3.

Thoughts?

Elon Daddy needs a new Chinese GigaFactory and a next level short burn -- calling for FSD to fix the books!

I'm just glad to get something. I see Tesla increasing the cost not decreasing it like with the battery capacity upgrade...AP1 only went up in price and then disappeared to become a 5k package.

I swiped my credit card on my AP2 car when AP2.5 hardware shipped. My justification is that if Tesla needs to add or swap hardware to make FSD work, I'm grandfathered in. This includes for Regulatory purposes like a driver facing camera to make sure you are paying attention to the road (instead of holding the wheel in one hand and a cell phone in the other). I can see a situation where enough hardware has to be added that $FSD could go well above the current add on price for those that didn't do it before that gets announced.

The Level 5 nVidia card is not a cheap date. It's not a video gaming card. Something like 320 trillion operations per second? Think 30 GTX1080Ti cards in an array.

But, if they set it up for bitcoin mining, the car might pay for itself.

I see full FSD at least two years away. AP is still a ways from being perfect which has been obvious. FSD will have to handle thousands of driving situations that arise every day......that will take time and lots of code.........plus the feds will have to ok it and that will not be easy.

Reactions: Canuck
I see full FSD at least two years away. AP is still a ways from being perfect which has been obvious. FSD will have to handle thousands of driving situations that arise every day......that will take time and lots of code.........plus the feds will have to ok it and that will not be easy.
Yes, but if you have to pay for FSD to get incremental improvements to autopilot they can get around regulations. Based on Elon talking about the first FSD features would be in 9.0, sounds like it's going to be incremental instead of all one feature so this would get them.arpund regulation.

The Level 5 nVidia card is not a cheap date. It's not a video gaming card. Something like 320 trillion operations per second? Think 30 GTX1080Ti cards in an array.

But, if they set it up for bitcoin mining, the car might pay for itself.

This is wrong. It's a Nvidia 1060 chip in the AP2.0 computer. I know. I opened mine up and looked. Total platform power is something like 30 watts.

It ain't no bitcoin miner or super computer. It's a custom built CPU with an Nvidia graphics board in it built for a specific purpose.

• Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing
This is wrong. It's a Nvidia 1060 chip in the AP2.0 computer. I know. I opened mine up and looked. Total platform power is something like 30 watts.

It ain't no bitcoin miner or super computer. It's a custom built CPU with an Nvidia graphics board in it built for a specific purpose.

That's a level 2-3 nVidia Drive PX board. The Level 5 Drive Pegasus has dual Xavier chips.

Autonomous Car Development Platform from NVIDIA DRIVE PX2

The survey is missing a major answer, whenever "Full Self Driving" does what is says, drives all by itself without the requirement of human driver in the car. Elon said its happening sooner than people think, so if you believe his tweet now you should believe his tweet from 2016 where he promised AP2 car will Summon from across the country - I got my checkbook ready when that happens, and not only will I pay for FSD on our AP2 car then, I will also replace my AP1 car with a brand new Tesla, so Tesla will not just get $10K from me, but another $100K too. Conditional on our Tesla surviving until then of course.

Elon Daddy needs a new Chinese GigaFactory and a next level short burn -- calling for FSD to fix the books!

I'm just glad to get something. I see Tesla increasing the cost not decreasing it like with the battery capacity upgrade...AP1 only went up in price and then disappeared to become a 5k package.
There is no doubt in my mind Tesla will substantially increase the cost of FSD when the capabilities reach a certain level. New buyers will gladly fork over the money. I think it will be a gold rush for Tesla.

Many that had the chance to upgrade earlier for only $4,000 will kick themselves. I'll probably be in that group since (at this time) I don't plan on purchasing FSD when ordering my Model 3.

The survey is missing a major answer, whenever "Full Self Driving" does what is says, drives all by itself without the requirement of human driver in the car. Elon said its happening sooner than people think, so if you believe his tweet now you should believe his tweet from 2016 where he promised AP2 car will Summon from across the country - I got my checkbook ready when that happens, and not only will I pay for FSD on our AP2 car then, I will also replace my AP1 car with a brand new Tesla, so Tesla will not just get $10K from me, but another $100K too. Conditional on our Tesla surviving until then of course.

That's how you can tell I'm a sensible person.

Not going to include an option that has no chance of happening before 2025.

It doesn't have to be THAT good though before Tesla gets my few thousand dollars. Enjoying progress piece by piece is better than waiting a decade for the entire meal to get done.

That's how you can tell I'm a sensible person.

Not going to include an option that has no chance of happening before 2025.

It doesn't have to be THAT good though before Tesla gets my few thousand dollars. Enjoying progress piece by piece is better than waiting a decade for the entire meal to get done.
Including an option such as "Not until it does at least what was promised at launch and it is not Beta" would give you a much better idea when (if ever) people are willing to spend money. I didn't say exclude people who will pay for the very first feature, or simply a promise of one (like many people who bought it to-date), just to include other options to get a complete picture. Unless of course you're hoping to create positive spin by being able to say "100% of survey respondents who didn't buy FSD already said they will buy FSD no later than as soon as the price drops or the very first FSD feature comes out" - based on your options right now that statement is already true, not matter how people vote. Or maybe I missed the purpose of the survey, what information were hoping to glean from it?

I ordered FSD for my Model 3, scheduled for delivery in July.

To me paying $3000 for the once-in-a-lifetime experience of participating in the greatest transportation revolution of our generation is well worth the money. Really looking forward to it.

• Love
Reactions: Shock-On-T
I ordered FSD for my Model 3, scheduled for delivery in July.

To me paying $3000 for the once-in-a-lifetime experience of participating in the greatest transportation revolution of our generation is well worth the money. Really looking forward to it.
It's not once-in-a-lifetime. You could offer to buy EAP/FSD for other folks who didn't buy it. For every FSD you buy for people, you increase your participation in the revolution (especially that in July the pleasure of giving Tesla money is all you get)! ;)

PS> Buying TSLA stock instead allows you to participate with a big upside if they succeed, and backup plan if they fail (unless the stock goes to $0 of course).