Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will my car get updates? Its been AGES already!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Patience may be for the meek - but rest of us have better things to do and just get on with our lives.

The purpose of this topic was to try help folks understand what was going on with updates - you know helping the community and all that - sadly its now full of useless ranting, thanks for nothing.
While some of your OP is informative, you made a lot of assumptions and unfounded assertions. You also counseled that patience is the best route. Some of us disagree with that axiom and feel that by giving voice to our frustrations we can force Tesla into change.

While the price of a Tesla I feel is relative to the service I get, I do feel that some of the service at this price point is lacking. I will not throw my hands up and say "oh well, I'll wait quietly," I will raise my voice and be heard and hopefully push Tesla into a more transparent operation so that my next car can be Tesla, and the one after that, because they remain the best EV. The only way they remain the best is by evolving not just their technology, but the culture of their company.

For those awaiting updates, you may feel worse now: version 24.9 just came out on 5 cars today.

And yet, there are PLENTY of people with radar based cars who ALSO have not been updated past 2021.12.25.X I have one of those cars, which is a 2018 model 3P.

Please note that I am NOT complaining about this, because its absolutely postiively 10000000000% normal for cars to skip multiple updates. I am just saying that all "discussion" acting like "everyone but us vision based cars is getting updated!!!!!1111!!1!!!11!!!!111!Q"

Is not correct, or accurate, and we still have several people who post daily about "not getting updates" like tesla has personally blacklisted them or something.

And yet, there are PLENTY of people with radar based cars who ALSO have not been updated past 2021.12.25.X I have one of those cars, which is a 2018 model 3P.

Please note that I am NOT complaining about this, because its absolutely postiively 10000000000% normal for cars to skip multiple updates. I am just saying that all "discussion" acting like "everyone but us vision based cars is getting updated!!!!!1111!!1!!!11!!!!111!Q"

Is not correct, or accurate, and we still have several people who post daily about "not getting updates" like tesla has personally blacklisted them or something.
Some peeps just like to complain. If you look at TeslaFI, you’d notice that they are some vision cars that went from 2021.3.104, 2021.3.106, 2021.4.23 to 2021.24.9 and 2021.32.5.

Reactions: rpiotro
Some peeps just like to complain. If you look at TeslaFI, you’d notice that they are some vision cars that went from 2021.3.104, 2021.3.106, 2021.4.23 to 2021.24.9 and 2021.32.5.
Just looking for some hope, not mean to complain . Imagine all of others are getting new systems and enjoying new functions while you are stuck for a long time , it is not a good feeling even we know we have to wait .

Not sure what you’re looking at but there’s exactly 0 Vision cars on 2021.24.9 on Teslafi and only 9 on 32.5 in the 6 days since it was discovered. Almost all Vision cars not still on delivery software 103-106.5 are stuck on 4.21.3.

Reactions: Dogmatix
As someone who has one of those vision cars stuck at 2021.3.106, I certainly share the frustration being vented here. However, I also was a software developer for over 30 years and can provide some perspective. The software that we are all anxiously awaiting must meet -all- of the following criteria:
  • It must be safe. If you follow the news, you will know that Tesla is under a lot of scrutiny about this. A new software level that introduces any new safety exposures would be a disaster. That means that the new level must be carefully reviewed and extensively tested to ensure that it doesn't introduce some catastrophic new exposure.
  • It must work on all versions of the car. That includes working on all of the alternative chipsets that Tesla has had to use in order to get us our cars, as well as radar vs vision, etc.
  • It can't regress any existing function. Look at the outcry over the 'Christmas update', and that was a deliberate design decision. Unintended breakage is always an issue in software changes, due to the complexity of the system being changed.
  • It must be serviceable. What I mean by this is that any changes have to be made in such a way that they can be undone or changed again. Think of painting yourself into a corner. It is very possible to do that in software, such that you would have to pretty much start all over again at the highest architecture level to make the next required change. That is incredibly expensive and something to avoided if at all possible.
  • It must provide enough new and/or improved function to be worth the cost of developing and distributing it.
In order to accomplish the above, a list of changes has to be made and refined. Then the software must be written. This involves both new code and modification of old code, which can be much harder to do than it sounds. Then the new software level needs to be extensively tested. And if issues come up, they have to be resolved and re-tested. All of this takes time, whether we like it or not.

As to the question of why some people get updates and others appear to be 'stuck' at an older level, I suspect that it is a combination of specific car configuration, region, and Tesla using phased roll outs in case some problem does show up. In any case, I can assure you that having multiple development streams is a serious pain in the @ss for everyone involved and they aren't doing it just to piss off their customers.

Not sure what you’re looking at but there’s exactly 0 Vision cars on 2021.24.9 on Teslafi and only 9 on 32.5 in the 6 days since it was discovered. Almost all Vision cars not still on delivery software 103-106.5 are stuck on 4.21.3.
Sorry I meant to say 2021.24.5 on TeslaFI. How do I know the version circled is a vision car? I have one of the first vision only model Y running 2021.4.23.

My model 3 which I picked on August 10th is running 2021.3.106 and my neighbor who picked up his vision only model y performance is running 2021.24.9

Attachments

• 4CFE3CEB-65A0-4818-BF8E-247F7B516B0E.jpeg
    4CFE3CEB-65A0-4818-BF8E-247F7B516B0E.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 57
As someone who has one of those vision cars stuck at 2021.3.106, I certainly share the frustration being vented here. However, I also was a software developer for over 30 years and can provide some perspective. The software that we are all anxiously awaiting must meet -all- of the following criteria:
  • It must be safe. If you follow the news, you will know that Tesla is under a lot of scrutiny about this. A new software level that introduces any new safety exposures would be a disaster. That means that the new level must be carefully reviewed and extensively tested to ensure that it doesn't introduce some catastrophic new exposure.
  • It must work on all versions of the car. That includes working on all of the alternative chipsets that Tesla has had to use in order to get us our cars, as well as radar vs vision, etc.
  • It can't regress any existing function. Look at the outcry over the 'Christmas update', and that was a deliberate design decision. Unintended breakage is always an issue in software changes, due to the complexity of the system being changed.
  • It must be serviceable. What I mean by this is that any changes have to be made in such a way that they can be undone or changed again. Think of painting yourself into a corner. It is very possible to do that in software, such that you would have to pretty much start all over again at the highest architecture level to make the next required change. That is incredibly expensive and something to avoided if at all possible.
  • It must provide enough new and/or improved function to be worth the cost of developing and distributing it.
In order to accomplish the above, a list of changes has to be made and refined. Then the software must be written. This involves both new code and modification of old code, which can be much harder to do than it sounds. Then the new software level needs to be extensively tested. And if issues come up, they have to be resolved and re-tested. All of this takes time, whether we like it or not.

As to the question of why some people get updates and others appear to be 'stuck' at an older level, I suspect that it is a combination of specific car configuration, region, and Tesla using phased roll outs in case some problem does show up. In any case, I can assure you that having multiple development streams is a serious pain in the @ss for everyone involved and they aren't doing it just to piss off their customers.
I just want car wash mode, lol.

Sorry I meant to say 2021.24.5 on TeslaFI. How do I know the version circled is a vision car? I have one of the first vision only model Y running 2021.4.23.

My model 3 which I picked on August 10th is running 2021.3.106 and my neighbor who picked up his vision only model y performance is running 2021.24.9
2021.4.21.3 is not vision only. It also has radar cars. So this screenshot does not imply 2021.24.5 is on vision car.

Also, your “correction” post now has two more typos on the version numbers that on the vision cars. I believe you meant 2021.4.21.3 not 4.23. And 2021.24.5 not 2021.24.9.

Reactions: with_raiden
well isn't that just great, I get downvoted for pointing out I'm trying help - of course with no comment.

There's no community worth helping here, I'm done
enjoy your negativity I'm sure it will help you lots
Don't let the few ruin it for everyone. If an update was rushed out and it broke things could you imagine the uproar? I'm looking at you Windows 10.

Some people would bitch if their ice cream was too cold. Ignore them.

PS. I have a 3 SR+ that I have had for 24 days. Still on 2021.3. I expect an update sometime soon. In the meantime I am not enjoying my car any less because of it. I relish the thought that it can only get better.

Reactions: DMan918