Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023.12.5 is waiting to install. Will this block me from receiving FSD beta 2023.7.5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y with firmware 2023.6.11 currently installed.

I've ignored the past couple of updates (2023.12 & 2023.12.5) because I wanted to be able to get the FSD Beta when it finally advanced to the 2023 versions.

When I saw that the 2023.7.5 (FSD 11.4.1) started releasing to more and more cars I went ahead and subscribed to FSD.

So, right now, my car informs me before every drive that I have a software update waiting to install (2023.12.5). I'm expecting (hoping) that having 2023.6.11 actually installed will be what determines if my car can apply 2023.7.5.

Does anybody know if this is reasonable? Or am I kidding myself and the pending 2023.12.5 install is going to prevent the current FSD firmware from installing if / when my car might otherwise be eligible?

Thanks!

As long as you don't install the 2023.12.5, you should be ok. But you have to request FSD beta first, are you able to request beta? I've heard from others that the request beta button is greyed out and not able to be pressed at this time for new FSD subscribers such as yourself.

Also, I'm in the same boat as you, still on 2023.6.x waiting to subscribe once beta becomes widely available. I removed all the wifi networks from my car and it after a few days stopped nagging me to install. It still does nag me to connect to wifi networks every few days though.

Reactions: EagleOne
But you have to request FSD beta first, are you able to request beta? I've heard from others that the request beta button is greyed out and not able to be pressed at this time for new FSD subscribers such as yourself.

Yes, the FSD Request button is greyed out. From the message next to it, it implies that the button becomes active only once you've got a version of the firmware that *is* (has?) FSD Beta built in. I suppose I have to cling to that thread of a hope or kiss yet another $200 good-bye as I wait for FSD in spite of already having subscribed to it.

I'm pretty sure the button was NOT there until I subscribed, so I'll take that as a sign. Maybe others in this forum who have not subscribed or purchased FSD can confirm whether they currently see that button?

Why are people subscribing prior to seeing or researching when new testers are able to join?

There is quite a bit of confusion on Tesla's part, by not actually telling people that having FSD beta or even the correct software allows you to opt in. I've heard that even if it does go wide, it still will not allow new users until Tesla opens it up to new users. This will involve actually satisfying the NHTSA recall with v11. That may actually never happen this year lol.

Tesla is honestly running a scam with allowing people to purchase FSD or FSD Beta if there is no timeline for being able to access it.

There is quite a bit of confusion on Tesla's part, by not actually telling people that having FSD beta or even the correct software allows you to opt in. I've heard that even if it does go wide, it still will not allow new users until Tesla opens it up to new users. This will involve actually satisfying the NHTSA recall with v11.

Tesla is honestly running a scam with allowing people to purchase FSD or FSD Beta if there is no timeline for being able to access it.
You can access FSD right away. There's 0 wait, but Beta is not open to everyone and that's known. They've never really announced opening to new testers outside of Elon's tweets and they are never accurate.

All of this information is readily available. You cannot be on a newer version as Tesla rarely ever rolls back software. There was a pause with the recall and since then there hasn't been an influx of new testers. The current wide version is 2022.45.15 and 2023.7.5 has had an initial small rollout that may have paused. It may be waiting on any bug discoveries or a 11.4.2 version, which would be 2-3 weeks away.

Reactions: meitschis
I won't touch FSD until Tesla becomes more transparent.
They never will be. That's not how Tesla operates with anything. They haven't even publicly admitted to HW4 rolling out.

People shouldn't subscribe thinking they will get Beta...outside of a small window in December-Jan it's never been completely open. There have been safety scores, limited numbers of new testers, and software levels preventing new users from joining.

If you had these qualms a year ago, I'd understand, but it's pretty common knowledge at this point.

Reactions: zazim
They never will be. That's not how Tesla operates with anything. They haven't even publicly admitted to HW4 rolling out.
But people shouldn't subscribe thinking they will get Beta...outside of a small window in December-Jan r it's never been completely open. There have been safety scores, limited numbers of new testers, and software levels preventing new users from joining.

If you had these qualms a year ago, I'd understand, but it's pretty common knowledge at this point.

Not really common knowledge when you have the option to purchase FSD in the app with no disclaimer that it doesn't actually give you FSD. From what I have heard, FSD is not open to new testers even if you are on the correct firmware (2023.7.5 or 2022.45).

Why even offer people to buy it if it's not available for 11 months out of the year? Or you need to get lucky?

Not really common knowledge when you have the option to purchase FSD in the app with no disclaimer that it doesn't actually give you FSD. From what I have heard, FSD is not open to new testers even if you are on the correct firmware (2023.7.5 or 2022.45).

Why even offer people to buy it if it's not available for 11 months out of the year?
You are confusing FSD and FSD Beta. Beta is an early access program that has always been very restrictive. FSD is available the day you subscribe/buy it.

They have two names because they aren't the same thing.

Reactions: cgell and meitschis
You are confusing FSD and FSD Beta. Beta is an early access program that has always been very restrictive. FSD is available the day you subscribe/buy it.

They have two names because they aren't the same thing.

Exactly the problem with the end consumer. Don't call the two gimmick features FSD gives you, FSD. Add it into EAP, and then call FSD Beta an optional but no guarantee purchase.

But that would be too transparent and wouldn't fool the consumer into purchasing it. If Tesla told all consumers you may not be able to get into Beta, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual FSD Beta purchases dropped below 5% or less.

• Disagree
Reactions: cgell
Exactly the problem with the end consumer. Don't call the two gimmick features FSD gives you, FSD. Add it into EAP, and then call FSD Beta an optional but no guarantee purchase.

But that would be too transparent and wouldn't fool the consumer into purchasing it.
It's pretty clearly defined when you buy/subscribe to FSD what you get. They call the additional features FSD, because it's what is listed. The city streets driving says coming soon. It never says you will get that.

Most here know the differences.

Reactions: cgell and meitschis
It's pretty clearly defined when you buy/subscribe to FSD what you get. They call the additional features FSD, because it's what is listed. The city streets driving says coming soon. It never says you will get that.

Most here know the differences.

I'm not arguing with you, but new consumers are clearly confused. There are several posts on this forums of people exactly like EagleOne who thinks they will get access to FSD Beta if they just wait until the software catches up. That is clearly not the case, and in fact, he may never get Beta unless it opens up to more people.

It shouldn't be sugar coated. FSD Beta is a closed program that you'd be lucky to get in.

I'm not arguing with you, but new consumers are clearly confused. There are several posts on this forums of people exactly like EagleOne who thinks they will get access to FSD Beta if they just wait until the software catches up. That is clearly not the case, and in fact, he may never get Beta unless it opens up to more people.

It shouldn't be sugar coated. FSD Beta is a closed program that you're lucky to get in.
It was open for a short time period until the recall, which shut things down.

In typical Tesla fashion, there haven't been any announcements to that changing.

It's always been limited to your software version and I expect that to be the case for a while.

It was open for a short time period until the recall, which shut things down.

In typical Tesla fashion, there haven't been any announcements to that changing.

It's always been limited to your software version and I expect that to be the case for a while.

Exactly, and how is the average day to day consumer to know that FSD Beta has now opened back up and is available to test? Tesla doesn't push notifications to people "Hey try FSD Beta! It's available with your VIN!"

So again communication is terrible, as such you get posts and comments on variety of different FSD Beta forums with the same misnomers and confusion with the product they are buying/subscribing to.

It would take a Tesla VP of Sales/Marketing 10 minutes to explain this to all service centers but instead you get the usual shoulder shrug and IDK from mostly everyone, or inaccurate information regarding FSD Beta new user eligibility.

It's not like Tesla has 8 different car models, with thousands of different configurations and sku's. This is a key product that determines the fate of their enormous evaluation.

I opted into a FSD Subscription this month based on a fundamental misunderstanding of the current FSD beta version. I will happily let it roll over to a second month in June if there is a decent chance that 11.4.2 or something similar will allow new people into the beta program in the next 4-6 weeks. Fortunately, my current software is 2023.6.11.