Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will there be a 400 mile Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry, I haven't been following the various subtle Tesla upgrades but that recent announcement about the Model S getting 400 miles of EPA range certainly caught my eye. My wife saw it too and now she wants to trade in our 2018 Model X for a new one, on the assumption that some future software upgrade will give it 400 miles of range too.

Any theories on this? Are there major drive system/battery differences between the current S & X? Or will the X most likely catch up to the S with new software and more efficient wheels?

BTW, my local Tesla store has a Model Y for test drives. Very nice car but it's no Model X. That little display isn't as good as ours. It also had a harsh ride but I think it was the performance model. Tons of room though. Front seats fine, rear seats about like the bench seat in our 5-seater X.

Hopefully a 400mi MX will be announced this September during battery day. Latest I could see it happening is next summer. Most people don't need more than 300mi of range for our daily commute or grocery run, however 400mi would be nice if you live in a cold environment, frequently make long distance drives or tow with you MX.

When will there be a 400 mile Model X?
Hopefully a 400mi MX will be announced this September during battery day.
This would be a 14% increase, is that possible only by software?

402 miles - Model S - Long Range - 19"
351 miles - Model X - Long Range - 19"
-51 miles 14%

348 miles - Model S - Performance - 20"
305 miles - Model X - Performance - 20"
-43 miles 14%

...Most people don't need more than 300mi of range for our daily commute or grocery run, however 400mi would be nice if you live in a cold environment, frequently make long distance drives or tow with you MX.

True. I don't need that much range daily but since I live in Central Valley California, I do want to have an option of range so I can comfortably drive to big cities like San Diego (300 miles), Las Vegas (400 miles)...

The longer the range the battery is the more convenient on a road trip:

Stop less to charge,
I can skip busy chargers
I don't have to worry whether my destinations have a charger or not. I can sleep overnight and there would still be plenty left drive to a supercharger on the way next morning.

Range is King in my book!

Last edited:
Believe that much of the technology going into the 400 mile Model S is already baked into the current Model X as well. It will also be getting more range, but not the headline grabbing 400 miles.

X uses the same newer motors and technology, but it's greater weight, larger frontal area and slightly less aerodynamics will keep it under 400 miles EPA range for some time.

For most owners, the difference between 350-375-400 miles of range is often insignificant.

Faster charging will be more appreciated on longer trips than the extra range for many.

EPA rates range at conservative speeds...never at +80
you are correct, but on EV you need to factor in 30+ minutes for charging on top of whatever time it takes you to get to the charger - this is why people are clamoring for higher range (also relative scarcity of chargers)

Compare to an ICE where refill is under 5 minutes and availability of gas stations is much bigger too so where you must stop at 20-30% in a Tesla because next stop is beyond that range. And then you can only charge to 80-90% unless you really have an extra hour. So your theoretical "400 miles EV" turns into 300 miles even IF you happen to achieve the stated efficiency.

Whether people really need it or not, the longer the range, the fewer potential customers will have range anxiety that keeps them from switching to an EV.

I personally believe that once we have 400-500 miles of EPA rated range coupled with ICE cost parity (from the lower cost, low cobalt battery) we will have reached a tipping point where it would be hard for anyone to justify buying an ICE vehicle.

Whether people really need it or not, the longer the range, the fewer potential customers will have range anxiety that keeps them from switching to an EV.

I personally believe that once we have 400-500 miles of EPA rated range coupled with ICE cost parity (from the lower cost, low cobalt battery) we will have reached a tipping point where it would be hard for anyone to justify buying an ICE vehicle.

The 225kw charging too.

Mid sized suvs currently range from 330-560. So we’re already squarely in the mix. The big question has been charging availability and rate. With the 225kw, we’re looking at what? 250 miles in 15 minutes? Or about 3/4 tank of gas.

Reactions: X-pilot
Don't believe many vehicles, ICE or EV will get EPA rated range at those speeds.

The larger the vehicle the more the range will suffer with increased speeds.

EPA rates range at conservative speeds...never at +80
you could be right about that. Then again, a lot of really smart people said 10 years ago that there would never be an EV with a 200 mile range :)

Last edited:
Believe that much of the technology going into the 400 mile Model S is already baked into the current Model X as well. It will also be getting more range, but not the headline grabbing 400 miles.

X uses the same newer motors and technology, but it's greater weight, larger frontal area and slightly less aerodynamics will keep it under 400 miles EPA range for some time.

For most owners, the difference between 350-375-400 miles of range is often insignificant.

Faster charging will be more appreciated on longer trips than the extra range for many.

Agree. Will need another round of innovation for X to achieve 400+ miles of range. More weight and rolling resistance compared to the S.

Reactions: X-pilot
Mid sized suvs currently range from 330-560. So we’re already squarely in the mix
no. remember you cannot fill Tesla to 100% in any reasonable time and you cannot go to near zero in most cases.
it's 220 best case scenario on highway.

With the 225kw, we’re looking at what? 250 miles in 15 minutes? Or about 3/4 tank of gas.
depends how many seconds 225kW lasts... you know this is not the steady rate, right?

no. remember you cannot fill Tesla to 100% in any reasonable time and you cannot go to near zero in most cases.
it's 220 best case scenario on highway.

The newest Model X is EPA rated for 351 miles. Even if you only charge to 90% that’s still 315.90.

220 is REALLY underselling it considering I get 180 real world miles out of my 2016 75D, on 22” wheels on the highway. The newest ones should have 50% more range than I do. This guy here seems to be getting 320-340 miles out of his Raven vs. non-raven: huge difference, or not?

depends how many seconds 225kW lasts... you know this is not the steady rate, right?

While the rate begins to taper, significant drop off doesn’t occur until about 70% and falls off a cliff after 80%. From 20%-70% it should charge near peak. That’s half capacity or 175 miles and should take about 10 minutes. But I am making an assumption that the peak range of a 225kw charger will be about the same as the current chargers. It’s very possible that the taper is more severe or starts earlier with the new chargers.

Last edited:
The newest Model X is EPA rated for 351 miles. Even if you only charge to 90% that’s still 315.90.
did you miss when I said "highway speeds"? Did you miss the superchargign spacing? I have the newest model X that's rated at 351 miles. I had a 1500 miles roadtrip few weeks ago. I know what I am talking about and have data to back it up.

This was the longest segment I managed to achieve:
IMG_20200607_075558.jpg

220 is REALLY underselling it considering I get 180 real world miles out of my 2016 75D, on 22” wheels on the highway
it's not underselling it. It's the unfortunate reality (don't forget you cannot charge to 100% and cannot discharge to 0% in most cases)

While the rate begins to taper, significant drop off doesn’t occur until about 70% and falls off a cliff after 80%. From 20%-70% it should charge near peak.
you are sadly mistaken.
upload_2020-6-27_23-1-38.png

keep in mind a lot of taper is also because supercharger side itself overheats. (it could be better with v3 superchargers but ther are very few of them)

Last edited:
did you miss when I said "highway speeds"? Did you miss the superchargign spacing? I have the newest model X that's rated at 351 miles. I had a 1500 miles roadtrip few weeks ago. I know what I am talking about and have data to back it up.

This was the longest segment I managed to achieve:
View attachment 557488

it's not underselling it. It's the unfortunate reality (don't forget you cannot charge to 100% and cannot discharge to 0% in most cases)

you are sadly mistaken.
View attachment 557481

keep in mind a lot of taper is also because supercharger side itself overheats. (it could be better with v3 superchargers but ther are very few of them)

Is that Grafana data from Teslamate? I recently set that up too and it’s awesome.. my real world data on my long range plus shows similar stats...