Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will you change your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought mine with the expectation that I shall keep it for about 10 years at least (that’s how long I usually keep my cars).
I worry that the car will start rotting around the power train, if I’m honest, but I guess only time will fell...
I intend to have mine for about a decade. The range is fine, as is the speed. I guess I might start getting feature envy after about 5 years but things move fast for Tesla.

I an ideal World I will send my existing M3 out to work in the Robotaxi fleet and use the money to buy my new one!

Purchased Model 3 LR Aug 2019 and was looking to keep until repair costs get silly (was hoping 7-10 years ?).

Wife would like a little more space i.e. Model Y and depending what happens with the Tesla share price in the next few years I would like a Roadster.

Was 2 car family but down to just the M3 (on basis WFH long term and PCP ended on Mercedes) so will need to make some decisions in the next few years I suppose.

Don’t wish to derail the thread, but what are these issues?

A lot of my driving is in the dark

Wipers,
Headlights, High beam assist, no cornering lights,
Rear camera, and lack of light when reversing.
Media system annoys me to a little, but sound in good.
changing temp, while listening to music always hit seat button, (yes I know I can use voice, but should not have to)
Indicators annoy me too a little, do not turn off, and if you press down or up to cancel lol

Do not get me wrong it is a great car as I said, but the day to day things really grate on me, just more in the winter as it is dark more, and wet more.

Have kept most prev cars for 4 years, and found that's when they start getting more expensive to keep going. Bought M3P on a 4yr PCP with that in mind, but hopefully repair/maintenance cost will be different in an EV. Currently, there's nothing I would rather have until you start getting into silly money ICE cars. Can't really see myself going back to ICE at this point (unless Camelot want to pick my numbers and buy me a supercar), so will depend on how much progress has been made in 4yrs time and what's on offer. The one thing that would push me to upgrade would be a hardware change such as HW4 meaning I couldn't get the latest improvements in FSD etc (and no upgrade path)

I’m interested to see how the transition to more and more ev’s impacts the charging experience on longer trips.

Right now the range of M3 is fine and I’ve never had to wait at a supercharger the way they do in LA and only twice had to even share a pair with another tesla.

One of the locations I charge at only has 4 stalls so if I was on a longer journey and couldn’t charge straight away that time lost would become an issue as would the fact it would be unknown if or how long that extra time would be - If and likely WHEN that happens - I would look to change purely to upgrade to a bigger capacity battery just to avoid the need for stops to charge. Otherwise I’d only upgrade for comfort and something a bit sportier looking - like the roadster or on a more practical note an suv without falcon wing doors!

these faster v3 chargers if widely rolled out would counter act that - but I think it will be a while till we get those in scotland!!

these faster v3 chargers if widely rolled out would counter act that - but I think it will be a while till we get those in scotland!!

There are V3 chargers in Fort William. 8 V3 are under construction in Edinburgh Newbridge and there's a permit for a further 8 at the new Glasgow service centre.

Not sure if Aberdeen will be V2 or V3 yet but should be able to tell soon.

• Love
Reactions: M3-Newbie
You’ve already got them in Scotland - Fort William and Inverness. I used them on a trip a couple of weeks ago.

whaaaaaat?? The version three to charge in 15 mins instead of 30?

I’ve only ever seen a v2 and thought only london Park Royal has this new super fast one, it does make sense if they put them there for long road trips but odd they didn’t choose a more heavily used location

(Also those two are not in my route ever - typical haha!)

I’ve only ever seen a v2 and thought only london Park Royal has this new super fast one, it does make sense if they put them there for long road trips but odd they didn’t choose a more heavily used location

(Also those two are not in my route ever - typical haha!)
Yeah :) Rollout is ongoing and happening fast.

Have a look here:

supercharge.info

Any of the superchargers with 250 kW are the V3 chargers.

I’m interested to see how the transition to more and more ev’s impacts the charging experience on longer trips.

Right now the range of M3 is fine and I’ve never had to wait at a supercharger the way they do in LA and only twice had to even share a pair with another tesla.

One of the locations I charge at only has 4 stalls so if I was on a longer journey and couldn’t charge straight away that time lost would become an issue as would the fact it would be unknown if or how long that extra time would be - If and likely WHEN that happens - I would look to change purely to upgrade to a bigger capacity battery just to avoid the need for stops to charge. Otherwise I’d only upgrade for comfort and something a bit sportier looking - like the roadster or on a more practical note an suv without falcon wing doors!

Charging would be so much quicker if the charge rate didn’t taper off as the battery filled, and that would have a bigger impact on time spent charging than having a bigger battery. When I charged at Fort William with the new 250KW V3 superchargers, with a preconditioned battery at 14%, I started charging at 205KW. I aimed to charge to 100% (something I do very rarely) for the journey home, and by the time I’d finished the rate had dropped to 14KW. At 50% charge it was less than 100KW. If a high charging rate could be maintained to 80% then charging times would be cut dramatically.

We may criticise Tesla for a lot of things but the Supercharger rollout is simply amazing.
After my recent experience using non Tesla Rapids in Scotland (mentioned elsewhere), if I relied on my car for long distance daily driving, you couldn't give me a non Tesla EV.

I wonder what the total number of non Tesla Rapids are compared to Superchargers?

We may criticise Tesla for a lot of things but the Supercharger rollout is simply amazing.
After my recent experience using non Tesla Rapids in Scotland (mentioned elsewhere), if I relied on my car for long distance daily driving, you couldn't give me a non Tesla EV.

I wonder what the total number of non Tesla Rapids are compared to Superchargers?

I saw two other Teslas charging while I was in Fort William. Neither of them paid to use the V3 superchargers - they used the free 50KW ChargePlace Scotland one a few feet away.

Thanks for all your thoughts. As a rough summary, it seems that about 40% of this small sample plan to keep their Tesla for a lengthy time. The rest will consider or plan a change within the 4-5 year time frame, partly because we are seeing a lot of options opening up.

I have a 2015 model s 85D with autopilot 1. I'm very lucky in that money isnt an issue, btu I have refrained from an upgrade. I am very tempted by the idea of a model Y performance with FSD next year, once the right hand drive option becomes available.
My only reasons to swap from S to Y will be the new autopilot, and to have a slightly smaller car, especially width. I lvie down dirty country lanes, and spend a ridiculous amount of time reversing or in parking places.

Honestly, despite all the amazing new upgrades, a 2015 S85D is still flipping amazing. The only friends who have nicer cars than me literally all have newer model S teslas :D. The tech is still amazin,g the acceleration insane, and the running costs have been basically zero for me. I have had 2 door handles replaced under warranty, and had some scratches/dents fixed (my own fault->see narrow lanes) and the front bumper replaced when I wrecked it in a car park :D

I'm lucky in that the EMM chip (or whatever its called) hasnt caused my MCU1 to fail yet, although its sluggish.

Whenever I think I really want the model Y, I get my car professionally valeted and then it looks so phenomenal that it feels like I just got a brand new car. I've never owned a car this long. It will possibly make it to 6 years, but thats only because of delays with the Y.

FWIW the last 2 times I got a webuyanycar valuation for my car, the valuation actually went UP over a year, so depreciation isnt a concern for me.

Thai
I have a 2015 model s 85D with autopilot 1. I'm very lucky in that money isnt an issue, btu I have refrained from an upgrade. I am very tempted by the idea of a model Y performance with FSD next year, once the right hand drive option becomes available.
My only reasons to swap from S to Y will be the new autopilot, and to have a slightly smaller car, especially width. I lvie down dirty country lanes, and spend a ridiculous amount of time reversing or in parking places.

Honestly, despite all the amazing new upgrades, a 2015 S85D is still flipping amazing. The only friends who have nicer cars than me literally all have newer model S teslas :D. The tech is still amazin,g the acceleration insane, and the running costs have been basically zero for me. I have had 2 door handles replaced under warranty, and had some scratches/dents fixed (my own fault->see narrow lanes) and the front bumper replaced when I wrecked it in a car park :D

I'm lucky in that the EMM chip (or whatever its called) hasnt caused my MCU1 to fail yet, although its sluggish.

Whenever I think I really want the model Y, I get my car professionally valeted and then it looks so phenomenal that it feels like I just got a brand new car. I've never owned a car this long. It will possibly make it to 6 years, but thats only because of delays with the Y.

FWIW the last 2 times I got a webuyanycar valuation for my car, the valuation actually went UP over a year, so depreciation isnt a concern for me.

This is very interesting re we buy any car! and fills me with hope for resale value on the m3 when it is eventually going as that’s been a concern for me once the market is flooded with cheaper other cars and also Tesla’s will this one depreciate pretty sharply as it’s not longer best in class - still remains to be seen I think - but interesting on your older S - so I’m hopeful!

and +1 to the valeting comment!

Quite. When Model 3 started hitting the shores in significant numbers during Q3 last year, it was looking as if there was going to be an issue with not enough CCS enabled stalls. Originally you would have maybe 8 supercharger stalls, but only 2 CCS enabled.

Then suddenly, iirc before end of Q4, in what was probably little more than a week, all the supercharger stalls seemed to be converted to allow CCS charging. A mammoth task very impressively undertaken. I would hate to have thought what would have happened without this happening.

I saw two other Teslas charging while I was in Fort William. Neither of them paid to use the V3 superchargers - they used the free 50KW ChargePlace Scotland one a few feet away.

Were they Model S’s that were choosing the free option? It’s possible they were older cars without the CCS option and therefore couldn’t use V3 chargers.