Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When you bought your first Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you bought your first Tesla.

1) How many people did you know who owned a Tesla?

2) Did you ride in a Tesla before buying one?

3) Did you test drive one before you bought one?

1) 1 but never seen it as it is in another state
2)not until we test drove one
3) yes a used one. Then ordered ordered a new one that night!

So after watching some Tesla reaction videos it got me thinking about how many people have never ridden in or even considered a Tesla. Obviously most know them as the electric car leader. But once they actually experience the car for themselves they seem mostly shocked compared to their preconceived notions? So do you make it a point to let friends and family experience the car?

1) - Zero, I didn't know anyone with a Tesla

2) - Nope, I never rode in one other than our test drives.

3) - Yes. We test drove the Model Y Performance (and bought a MY Long Range).

1) 1 but never seen it as it is in another state
2)not until we test drove one
3) yes a used one. Then ordered ordered a new one that night!

So after watching some Tesla reaction videos it got me thinking about how many people have never ridden in or even considered a Tesla. Obviously most know them as the electric car leader. But once they actually experience the car for themselves they seem mostly shocked compared to their preconceived notions? So do you make it a point to let friends and family experience the car?

1) one with roadster, one with model s, one with model x, and two with model 3s

2) I drove a model S 60 back in 2014 (friend had it as a loaner while his roadster was in the shop). Was utterly amazed at the lack of body roll in corners. Also drove a model 3 years later.

3) Before I got my MY, I went to Tesla to test drive it. I may be in the minority, but there's no way I'm buying a car without a test drive. Even though I'd driven other Teslas before, I still needed to be sure I was comfortable in the Y (seating positions, mirrors, etc)

Reactions: carcrazyguy
2 People

No

Technically Yes and No, put deposit down on vehicle before ever test driving one, delivery is soon

1) How many people did you know who owned a Tesla? Zero. They aren't common in SC.

2) Did you ride in a Tesla before buying one? Nope

3) Did you test drive one before you bought one? Yes, made two 2-hour trips to our closest SC to test drive. Originally wanted to buy a 3, but didn't like the seating position, so I'm glad we did the test drives.

I had several friends who owned Tesla's already - including two close friends both of whom owned 2018ish M3 LRs.

Yes - I've ridden in both friends M3 LRs per above - and driven one of them.

Yes. We test drove both a M3 SR and and MY LR before purchase - because this vehicle is my wife's daily driver, I wanted to ensure she got what she wanted. So far so good.

None
Yes. Rented a MS for a day in San Diego.
See above.

Ordered a MY in October '21 and took delivery in May '22. B'ot some shares of T$LA to support the company. Fortunate to be able to own, drive and enjoy a piece of the future.

1.) Only my rocket scientist cousin over in Pasadena. At the time I was VERY skeptical of the cars. Mainly because of all the FUD out there. I was under the impression it's mostly something people on the west coast buy.

2.) Never was in one prior to the test drives..

3.) Yes we made an appointment to test drive both a M3 and MY at the local SC. I was impressed with both cars, but the MYLR won by a thin margin due to the utilitarian benefits in addition to performance for a car like this.

Even now Tesla isn't prevalent in my local area. They are beginning to show up more and more.

1) 4 - couple friends and family members owned a various models (model x, plaid s, model s, model y long range)

2) yes - first being the model x years ago.

3) yes - test drove model y before pandemic and rented a model 3.

Two. One Model X and one Model Y.

I never went in the Model X, but sat in the Model Y. Did not drive it though.

Yes. Tesla SA let me take an MYP home for the night as I had the last test drive time slot of the day. The extended test drive really sealed the deal for me.

No
No

First ride in a Tesla was driving my Feb 2022 MSLR off the lot. One peddle driving took five minutes to love it. Acceleration, awesome. The yoke is my friend. Took it home and it stayed in the very clean garage until I PPFed the whole car. I've owned many cars including 2 Corvettes, this is by far the best car I've owned.

1) I had a co-worker who owned an older Model S.

2) My co-worker let me sit in but I didn’t ride in it.

3) We test drove a Ludicrous S and a M3 in late 2019. Then we purchased one of the first MY to be built in March 2020 (VIN 1XXX).My wife really wanted to buy the S but I thought the MY was more practical.

Here outside Boston Teslas are very common. There are 4 on my street alone and I see them everywhere.