Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #34 is available now with topics timestamped. We covered Tesla's rollercoaster prices, Toyota pushing junk science, Mike's new Model 3, Optimizing track mode for snow driving, FSD V11 apparently coming by the end of this week, and more. You can watch and check out the chat replay on YouTube.

Where Do Rock Chips Impact the M3 the Most?

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
Interesting. I wonder how it looks after you peeled off the PPF? Anyhow, my '18 has about the same mileage, 38k with more highway miles. I also went frugal and did a 24" bikini cut on my hood, and have no chips. Was yours only 12"? I'm wondering if all of your chips are in the bottom 24"? In hindsight, I would also do a full hood, but it was my first time with DIY PPF, so learning as I go.

Perscitus

Jan 29, 2019
New York
Aside from the typical front fascia areas, the windshield is also a rockchip, nick, bullseye magnet on these cars - 3s much more than Ys likely given the ride height difference.

A lot depends on driving mix (highway/motorway vs around town, mix of trucks and trailers, construction or farming equipment encountered on the road), driving area (proximity to sand beaches or deserts, mountains, etc), road conditions/material too (quality of surface, use of rock salt, sand etc in winter), and of course driving style (average speed, tendency to follow closely, etc).

• Informative
Reactions: KenC

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC