Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do you charge your Model Y to for daily use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read that you can add 200 miles in about 15 minutes at a SC, assuming that you are at or below 20% SOC.

I'm not sure where you read this.

If you are adding 200 miles of real range, you are probably charging to 90%. Charging from 20% to 90% in 15 minutes is not achievable.

I have also read that it can take an additional 30 to 45 minutes to go from 80% to 90%, or up to an additional 90 minutes to reach 100% SOC from 80%. If your battery is pre-conditioned, how long does it take for you to charge from 80% to 90% at a SC?
I'm not sure where you read this either, because it is flat out wrong.

Last week I arrived at Buc-ees near Daytona Beach with 31%. I charged up to 90% in 31 minutes (while purchasing and devouring a tasty sliced brisket sandwich).

I have read that you can add 200 miles in about 15 minutes at a SC, assuming that you are at or below 20% SOC. I have also read that it can take an additional 30 to 45 minutes to go from 80% to 90%, or up to an additional 90 minutes to reach 100% SOC from 80%. If your battery is pre-conditioned, how long does it take for you to charge from 80% to 90% at a SC?
Not all SC offer the same maximum charging rate (kW). The latest V3 SC can provide up to 250kW. The V2 SC provide up to 150kW. Urban SC (found in parking garages) can provide 72kW. SC charging sessions start to taper (decrease) the charging rate at 40% state of charge (SOC) and the tapering accelerates at 60% SOC. By 70% SOC the charging rate is perhaps half of when you started and by 80% SOC the charging rate is low enough that you are looking forward to ending the charging session.)

It will take long enough to continue charging after the SOC reaches 80% to get to 90% that you are better off in most cases just ending the charging session and moving on to the next SC or your destination. (If you are not in a rush and the SC is not busy with other Tesla owners waiting to use the SC then go for it.)

Last edited:
Reactions: HMHM
Set to 50% with scheduled departure set to be ready at 730am.

Charge to 100% when starting a road trip.

Charge low and charge as late as possible. 11kW charger helps.
Good advice for the long-term battery health. However, in my case, maintaining between 30 to 50% is the low end of the SoC for daily use. I don't want to split hairs about range issue during my routine driving. According to my data sources, maintaining a medium level SoC (between 40 to 60%) for daily use (limiting DoD to 20% or less) is not bad either for the long-term battery health.

Good advice for the long-term battery health. However, in my case, maintaining between 30 to 50% is the low end of the SoC for daily use. I don't want to split hairs about range issue during my routine driving. According to my data sources, maintaining a medium level SoC (between 40 to 60%) for daily use (limiting DoD to 20% or less) is not bad either for the long-term battery health.
Yes. My post was intended to answer the OP question but rereading it, it sounds like I was giving advice which I wasnt. 50% charge ready works for me and it looks like 60% charge ready works for you.

If there was advice, the advice would be low and late. Low and late is different for everybody. I find ones personal comfort level with driving in the 20s for SOC or leaving it overnight in that state a big enabler. For me I said, worst case God Forbid I need a car to go to family members house or hospital in middle or night, could I do it? I determined I could even if it was as low as 15% SoC. Thus how 50% works for me personally.

If there was advice, the advice would be low and late. Low and late is different for everybody.
I totally agree. If you don't mind, in my case, it would be medium and late. Medium meaning 60-40; and late means that I start charging close to the departure time, not when I arrive home. Right?

Basing on your original idea, I would like to coin the term "Medium & Late" for these guidelines.

Yes. My post was intended to answer the OP question but rereading it, it sounds like I was giving advice which I wasnt. 50% charge ready works for me and it looks like 60% charge ready works for you.

If there was advice, the advice would be low and late. Low and late is different for everybody. I find ones personal comfort level with driving in the 20s for SOC or leaving it overnight in that state a big enabler. For me I said, worst case God Forbid I need a car to go to family members house or hospital in middle or night, could I do it? I determined I could even if it was as low as 15% SoC. Thus how 50% works for me personally.
I've settled on charging to 60% using the departure feature, so I'm driving the car minutes after it's done charging. By the time I get to work it's near 50% and by the time I get home it's in the 40's. So the car sits at or below 50% for most of the time. This is what works best for my daily routine and that is my focus. I have zero worries about suddenly having to take a long drive because to tell the truth, I can't remember a time I've done that and my wife's car is an ICE BMW + my old pickup, if that need ever arises.

As we discuss a myriad of charging strategies, I chuckle because we are in the infancy of the EV revolution. Soon this type of talk will be irrelevant as battery ranges, charging speed and methods grow and grow. Heck, there has been talk of wireless charging installed on roads. My take is that one day we won't even need roads. Well all be riding in drone type vehicles (EHang | UAM - Passenger Autonomous Aerial Vehicle (AAV), autonomous of course, because humans are bat-*sugar* crazy in cars, much less flying vehicles.

Last edited:
I totally agree. If you don't mind, in my case, it would be medium and late. Medium meaning 60-40; and late means that I start charging close to the departure time, not when I arrive home. Right?

Basing on your original idea, I would like to coin the term "Medium & Late" for these guidelines.
The lowest charge level that can be set is 50%, so that’s what is meant by charge “low”.

Correct. I dont charge when I arrive home. Scheduled departure feature is what is used.

Not my original idea. I actually credit @AAKEE for providing the research data that backs this up. Look up a lot of his data backed posts around battery degradation.

If were going to coin a term it would to charge to “as low as possible, as late as possible”. Meaning set your charge limit to as low as you are comfortable with for daily with scheduled departure time to occur as late as possible.

do we need to charge the car daily even if we don't drive?
In my routine driving, I charge every couple of days. If my minimum SoC at the end of the day is ≤50%, I plug my charger at night on a scheduled 6:00 am charging session to 60%. However, specially on weekends, if my SoC drops below 40% at the end of the day, I will bring it up to 60% ASAP. There are other ways which are equally good or even better, but this routine works very well for me.

Reactions: tampaboyt
Maintaining Li-ion Batteries - Real-world Recommendations for BEVs. These recommendations were revised recently in light of conversations with experts and long-time BEV owners on this forum.

Attachments

• BEV - Maintaining Li-ion Battery.png
    BEV - Maintaining Li-ion Battery.png
    210 KB · Views: 90
I normally charge to 80% daily, however I've noticed recently that when I'm at 100% SOC for road trips it displays 276-280 miles, whatever it feels like that day. I own a 2022 MYP.

Isn't it supposed to show the EPA estimated range? I've owned it for a year so I'm assuming 10% degredation, which would put it at around 273, which is accurate to a degree, however I wasn't sure it was supposed to show this.

Should I just run it to single digits and back up to 100% to recalibrate it?

I normally charge to 80% daily, however I've noticed recently that when I'm at 100% SOC for road trips it displays 276-280 miles, whatever it feels like that day. I own a 2022 MYP.

Isn't it supposed to show the EPA estimated range? I've owned it for a year so I'm assuming 10% degredation, which would put it at around 273, which is accurate to a degree, however I wasn't sure it was supposed to show this.

Should I just run it to single digits and back up to 100% to recalibrate it?
The estimated range displayed next to the battery icon always references the Tesla Performance Model Y EPA efficiency of ~259Wh/mile. The displayed value can vary slightly (up to 3%) due to temperature. You can switch to displaying the percent state of charge (% SOC) by tapping the displayed value. (Many prefer to use %SOC as this value is independent of your driving style, wind, road conditions etc and accurately reflects the remaining charge in the battery.) I.e. 20% remaining SOC would be ~55 miles of remaining range, probably time to plug in and charge soon if on a road trip.

82kWh total battery capacity; 78.6kWh usable capacity (when new). 303 miles EPA estimated combined city/highway range / 78.6kWh = 3.85 miles per kWh; 1/3.85 miles per kWh = 0.259kWh/mile; this can also be stated as 259Wh/mile.

276 miles / 0.259 kWh/mile = 71.48 kWh remaining battery capacity. 78.6kWh - 71.48 kWh = 7.12 kWh; 7.12kWh/78.6kWh = 9% less than when new. So yes, your total battery capacity and range may now be ~9% less after 1 year of ownership.

Is it really 9%? One way to find out would be to charge to above 95% up to 100%. The Tesla Model Y will probably perform cell balancing after charging and then enter sleep mode provided Sentry Mode is turned off. When in sleep mode the Tesla Model Y's battery management system can measure the open cell voltage (OCV) of the cells in the battery. Do this; park the Tesla Model Y with Sentry mode turned off at various SOC of charge over a period of time (weeks) and the battery management system can perform OCV measurement and be better able to estimate the state of the battery over a wide range of the SOC. This may provide an increase in displayed range of perhaps 5% but if you resume driving and charging over a narrow state of charge with Sentry mode enabled while parked this perceived 5% may start to disappear again. Is it worth the effort for 5%? Only you can decide.

Last edited:
The estimated range displayed next to the battery icon always references the Tesla Performance Model Y EPA efficiency of ~259Wh/mile. The displayed value can vary slightly (up to 3%) due to temperature. You can switch to displaying the percent state of charge (% SOC) by tapping the displayed value. (Many prefer to use %SOC as this value is independent of your driving style, wind, road conditions etc and accurately reflects the remaining charge in the battery.) I.e. 20% remaining SOC would be ~55 miles of remaining range, probably time to plug in and charge soon if on a road trip.

82kWh total battery capacity; 78.6kWh usable capacity (when new). 303 miles EPA estimated combined city/highway range / 78.6kWh = 3.85 miles per kWh; 1/3.85 miles per kWh = 0.259kWh/mile; this can also be stated as 259Wh/mile.

276 miles / 0.259 Wh/mile = 71.48 kWh remaining battery capacity. 78.6kWh - 71.48 kWh = 7.12 kWh; 7.12kWh/78.6kWh = 9% less than when new. So yes, your total battery capacity and range may now be ~9% less after 1 year of ownership.

Yeah that is what I'm assuming, I figured that's kind of crazy for only a year, isn't it? I've heard people having way less degredation in the same amount of time.

Yeah that is what I'm assuming, I figured that's kind of crazy for only a year, isn't it? I've heard people having way less degredation in the same amount of time.
9% after 1 year is not excessive. There are many things that can affect the usable capacity of the battery over time. One factor that has not been fully explored is the impact of rapid acceleration (flooring it) on the long term health of the battery. Rapid discharging of the battery is potentially as stressful as is rapid charging. Average temperature of the battery pack over time in warm climate can possibly have an effect. At the end of the day, just drive and not worry about it. In most cases that 9% is not going to limit your ability to take road trips in your Performance Model Y.

Reactions: Otrori
9% after 1 year is not excessive. There are many things that can affect the usable capacity of the battery over time. One factor that has not been fully explored is the impact of rapid acceleration (flooring it) on the long term health of the battery. Rapid discharging of the battery is potentially as stressful as is rapid charging. Average temperature of the battery pack over time in warm climate can possibly have an effect. At the end of the day, just drive and not worry about it. In most cases that 9% is not going to limit your ability to take road trips in your Performance Model Y.
Luckily I don't floor it often, I actually drive it in chill mode most of the time, unless I feel like accelerating hard. I do live in a somewhat warm climate so that could also be a factor, who knows. I appreciate the response.