Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do you charge your Model Y to for daily use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100 is not more than 250. Your math does not check out :D

It's very likely less expensive, though.

How much did you pay for your adapter? I wonder how long it would take to break even using the cheaper charger with the purchased adapter.
The CC1 adapter is $250 in the Tesla Store. I will never break even at my age. Whether you stop to charge at a Tesla 250 kWh station, a Tesla 150 kWh station or another 350 kWh station using a CC1 adapter you will never see charging at the maximum power rating of that station. What I have observed at the 350 kWh stations that at the beginning of the charging the percentage of SOC increases by a percent every 20 seconds and gets increasingly longer as the SOC rises so by the time I reach 89% it could take over one minute to reach 90%

The CC1 adapter is $250 in the Tesla Store. I will never break even at my age. Whether you stop to charge at a Tesla 250 kWh station, a Tesla 150 kWh station or another 350 kWh station using a CC1 adapter you will never see charging at the maximum power rating of that station. What I have observed at the 350 kWh stations that at the beginning of the charging the percentage of SOC increases by a percent every 20 seconds and gets increasingly longer as the SOC rises so by the time I reach 89% it could take over one minute to reach 90%
The latest price for the Tesla CCS Combo 1 adapter is $175 US.

Reactions: howardnj
The latest price for the Tesla CCS Combo 1 adapter is $175 US.
Not only are the vehicles cheaper too.
I have experienced all 8 Tesla charger slots full with vehicles waiting in line with empty FPL Evolution charge slots so I never felt cheated by paying $250 for my CC1 adapter. Also what some newbees may not realize is charge power is shared between adjacent Tesla chargers reducing the charge rate. Sometimes Tesla will not allow you to go above 80% when all chargers are in use.

Attachments

• Tesla CC1 IMG_9435.PNG
    Tesla CC1 IMG_9435.PNG
    367.5 KB · Views: 89
Sometimes Tesla will not allow you to go above 80% when all chargers are in use.
That's never true. The software may default it back down to 80% to try to convey to people that they should probably not charge that high at the location, but it also says you can move it back up to 100% if you want/need more, and it always lets you do that.

. Also what some newbees may not realize is charge power is shared between adjacent Tesla chargers reducing the charge rate.

The word adjacent is partially correct for the older 150kW Tesla Superchargers. Those are in pairs like: 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b .... If you are charging on 1b and someone hooks up to 1a, your charge rate is reduced. If someone instead plugs in at the adjacent 2a slot, you are okay.

The 250kW V3 chargers do not work this way. Someone charging next to you does not directly affect your charge rate.

However, at some 250kW locations, I have experienced a slower than expected charge rate when most or all of the slots are full ... and watched my rate increase when a few cars pulled out.

Last edited:
The word adjacent is partially correct for the older 150kW Tesla Superchargers. Those are in pairs like: 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b .... If you are charging on 1b and someone hooks up to 1a, your charge rate is reduced. If someone instead plugs in at the adjacent 2a slot, you are okay.

The 250kW V3 chargers do not work this way. Someone charging next to you does not directly affect your charge rate.

However, at some 250kW locations, I have experienced a slower than expected charge rate when most or all of the slots are full ... and watched my rate increase when a few cars pulled out.
Often at the WPB Supercharger on the Florida Turnpike near Lake Worth Road, all the Tesla slots are full. This is why I use my CC1 adapter and use the 350kWh FPL Evolution charge stations that are rarely in use.
The worst Tesla charge location that I found between NJ and Florida is the one in Newark, De. on I95. Very slow when all slots are full. I will never go back there.

Attachments

• Tesla FPL 350 kwh Chargers IMG_9440.JPG
    Tesla FPL 350 kwh Chargers IMG_9440.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: h2ofun

IIRC that maximum DC charge rate for a MY is 210kw regardless of the charging station used or what the software is displaying in the UI of the vehicle.

Teslafi logged our MYLR (briefly) charging in Lamont FL at 392.36 volts DC and 666.67 amps on March 25, 2023. That's 261.57 kW.

We were the only car at the time.
Shortly after plugging in the screen on my MYLR reported 233 kW at 27 % SOC with a moderate amount of approach conditioning. That fell right on the curve of a report somewhere by a model Y owner who had reported a maxed-out 250 at lower states of charge. In my case the taper was already beginning.

My impression is that Tesla has said max for both model 3 and model Y was 250 at introduction, which was higher than the model S and X max at the time. But I can't find a reference. Is there a good reference for the 210 limit mentioned above?

IIRC that maximum DC charge rate for a MY is 210kw regardless of the charging station used or what the software is displaying in the UI of the vehicle.
The charge rate would be related to the battery size and type, not the car model. So you can't generalize about a Y or a 3. It depends on whether it's the large battery or the smaller (medium?) sized battery. Plenty of 3's and Y's have been able to get just barely over 250 kW. A 210 kW limitation might be the case for the smaller battery versions of those cars.

After reading through many resources and analyzing my driving history, the reality is sinking in. I have come to realize that only about 60% of the battery capacity is normally usable, from 80% down to 20% SOC. So, while on a long road trip, this provides me the most practical way to charge everytime at a public charging facility. At this rate, my driving dynamics reveals that I must start looking for a charger every 150 miles. However, at home, since my daily commute is only 20 miles, I can continue charging up to 80%, and let the SOC drop down to 40% before charging again, every 5-7 days. FYI, I have the Tesla Wall Connector at home. So, I believe, I don't need to charge or keep my Tesla plugged in every night. What are your thoughts about these conclusions?

After reading through many resources and analyzing my driving history, the reality is sinking in. I have come to realize that only about 60% of the battery capacity is normally usable, from 80% down to 20% SOC. So, while on a long road trip, this provides me the most practical way to charge everytime at a public charging facility. At this rate, my driving dynamics reveals that I must start looking for a charger every 150 miles. However, at home, since my daily commute is only 20 miles, I can continue charging up to 80%, and let the SOC drop down to 40% before charging again, every 5-7 days. FYI, I have the Tesla Wall Connector at home. So, I believe, I don't need to charge or keep my Tesla plugged in every night. What are your thoughts about these conclusions?
That seems to be what I do. I use the car for "local" stuff, meaning I have only taken one trip when I had to use a SC before I came home. I did charge to 100%, with my wall charger, before I left on this trip

What I do now is charge to 80%, and drive until I get to around 30%. Depending on what trips will be taken the next day, I decide if I charge back to 80% during the night. I just need to make sure the car is fully charged enough that the wife never has to worry about charging.

When home I charge every night to 90%
When on the road I use a Tesla Supercharger every 150 miles and rarely go down to 20%. I put the destination of the next charger into navigation so the battery is warmed up when I arrive to facilitate faster charging to 90%

When home I charge every night to 90%
When on the road I use a Tesla Supercharger every 150 miles and rarely go down to 20%.

At home, I charge to 50% every night. My daily commute uses less than 20%. I just don't need any more than 50%. I certainly don't need 90%. If an unexpected road trip comes up, 50% takes me to my choice of Superchargers in any direction.

On the road, I aim to hit Superchargers about every 110-190 miles. I charge up to 80-90% and plan to arrive with at least 15% at the next charger or at home. When I do charge to 90%, I hit the road and drive it off rather quickly.

I frequently make the same 175 mile run home starting with a 90% Supercharge session. Yes, headwinds can make a real difference.

Currently, I'm at 40,000 miles with about 157 Supercharger sessions. That corresponds to about half of the miles on the car.

For what it's worth, my battery degradation is around 8-8.5%. This is after 20 months and the 40,000 miles I mentioned earlier.

Reactions: E90alex
At home, I charge to 50% every night. My daily commute uses less than 20%. I just don't need any more than 50%. I certainly don't need 90%. If an unexpected road trip comes up, 50% takes me to my choice of Superchargers in any direction.

On the road, I aim to hit Superchargers about every 110-190 miles. I charge up to 80-90% and plan to arrive with at least 15% at the next charger or at home. When I do charge to 90%, I hit the road and drive it off rather quickly.

I frequently make the same 175 mile run home starting with a 90% Supercharge session. Yes, headwinds can make a real difference.

Currently, I'm at 40,000 miles with about 157 Supercharger sessions. That corresponds to about half of the miles on the car.

For what it's worth, my battery degradation is around 8-8.5%. This is after 20 months and the 40,000 miles I mentioned earlier.

The 8-8.5% battery degradation seems very high at 40K miles. What might be the reasons for that?

I use a Tesla Supercharger every 150 miles and rarely go down to 20%. I put the destination of the next charger into navigation so the battery is warmed up when I arrive to facilitate faster charging to 90%
I have read that you can add 200 miles in about 15 minutes at a SC, assuming that you are at or below 20% SOC. I have also read that it can take an additional 30 to 45 minutes to go from 80% to 90%, or up to an additional 90 minutes to reach 100% SOC from 80%. If your battery is pre-conditioned, how long does it take for you to charge from 80% to 90% at a SC?

No, it doesnt actually, not for model 3 / Y. You posted in 2 other threads "After analyzing many resources", so I am surprised you have not seen this before, specifically for 3 / Y.
My apologies for any misunderstanding. I'm new at this. In my reading and reviews, about a 7.5% battery degradation after 3 years, or around 80K miles, is what I recall. I just wanted to know if there were any contributing factors that we can learn about from your your own experience.

My apologies for any misunderstanding. I'm new at this. In my reading and reviews, about a 7.5% battery degradation after 3 years, or around 80K miles, is what I recall. I just wanted to know if there were any contributing factors that we can learn about from your your own experience.

You can search this website for posts from a member here named @AAKEE . You will find more factual data on the topic of degradation than you likely can consume (how to minimize it, etc). You will then need to decide what to do with the information presented for yourself.

In a VERY "TL ; DR " manner, keeping the car at a lower state of charge and in a a cooler climate helps with calendar degradation. for more than that, you will find many posts by @AAKEE with charts, graphs, and explanations.

Reactions: AAKEE