Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do you charge your Model Y to for daily use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that persistently charge at home using the Tesla Wall Charger (we're waiting on delivery of our MY later this month and are having a Tesla Wall Charger installed soon) how much have you seen your electric bill increase on a monthly basis? I realize rates are different in every state and power company dependent - but am curious on average what to expect.
I use 300-400KW of energy for home charging per month. Take your electricity rate and calculate the $ number.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
For those that persistently charge at home using the Tesla Wall Charger (we're waiting on delivery of our MY later this month and are having a Tesla Wall Charger installed soon) how much have you seen your electric bill increase on a monthly basis? I realize rates are different in every state and power company dependent - but am curious on average what to expect.
It will depend on how hard you drive the car and how far. Figure around 1/4-1/3 of whatever you were spending on gas.

Home charging costs would only depend on your cost per kWh and how many miles you drive per month or per year.

First, look at a recent electric utility bill and divide the total charges ($) by the number of kWh consumed for the billing period. This will tell you your cost per kWh including all taxes, tariffs and any add-on fees.

Estimate your weekly, monthly or annual miles driven. Typically this is right around 30 miles per day, 900 miles per month or ~11,000 miles per year.

Using 270 Watt hours per mile (0.270 kWh/mile), a value that is neither particularly efficient or inefficient and accounts for seasonal increase in energy usage in winter, you can determine how many kWh you will use per month and per year. Example: 900 miles * 0.270 kWh/mile = 243 kWh. If you determine that your cost per kWh is $0.15 then you could expect your utility bill to increase by ~$36.50. You can also estimate your cost per mile (for electricity) at $36.50 / 900 miles = $0.04 per mile. Not included in this energy cost is the cost of preconditioning while the Tesla Model Y is parked (preconditioning can also activate battery warming when the battery is cold.) So while your cost per mile for driving might be $0.04 per mile when you add in the cost of preconditioning it could be a bit more than ~$0.05 per mile.

Last edited:
Reactions: android04
We live in Northern California and drive 2,000 miles a month, with average monthly charging cost of $54 (about 2.7 cents per mile). Electricity rates in our area have gone up 30-40% since 2019 but night-time off-peak only went up 10% (2.4 cents per mile back in 2019).

Last edited:
Of course a lot depends on how far you drive and how often you drive - my average bill increased about $22 a month. A little bit higher in the summer, because we do more traveling in the Summer

Thanks - this will be my wife's first EV. Her round trip daily work commute is approximately 45 miles - so I figure 50 miles per day average with other errands while coming home from work. Figure fewer daily miles on the weekends, probably 20-15 miles per day on average. So roughly 350 miles per week.

Home charging costs would only depend on your cost per kWh and how many miles you drive per month or per year.

First, look at a recent electric utility bill and divide the total charges ($) by the number of kWh consumed for the billing period. This will tell you your cost per kWh including all taxes, tariffs and any add-on fees.

Estimate your weekly, monthly or annual miles driven. Typically this is right around 30 miles per day, 900 miles per month or ~11,000 miles per year.

Using 270 Watt hours per mile (0.270 kWh/mile), a value that is neither particularly efficient or inefficient and accounts for seasonal increase in energy usage in winter, you can determine how many kWh you will use per month and per year. Example: 900 miles * 0.270 kWh/mile = 243 kWh. If you determine that your cost per kWh is $0.15 then you could expect your utility bill to increase by ~$36.50. You can also estimate your cost per mile (for electricity) at $36.50 / 900 miles = $0.04 per mile. Not included in this energy cost is the cost of preconditioning while the Tesla Model Y is parked (preconditioning can also activate battery warming when the battery is cold.) So while your cost per mile for driving might be $0.04 per mile when you add in the cost of preconditioning it could be a bit more than ~$0.05 per mile.

Roughly 250 miles for daily workday commute plus figure 25 miles per day on weekends - or roughly 300 miles per week on average.

Our latest power bill from February 2023, math as follows:

$339.26 / 2583 = 13.13/KwH

300 *4.3 = 1290 miles per month on average

1290 * 0.270 KwH/mile = 348.3 KwH

348.3 * .1313 = $45.73 per month electric charges on average. Figure $3.20/gallon on gas in our area on average for regular. $165.12 per month on gas for those same miles.

$45.72 / 165.12 = 0.28 or 28% of the cost of gas per month - so we're saving 72% on fuel per month on average if my math is right here.

Reactions: android04
You are currently spending ~12.8 cents per mile for gas not including oil and filter changes versus 3.5 to 4.5 cents per mile for electricity. 3.5/12.8 = 28%; 35% @ 4.5 cents per mile (includes additional cost for the electricity used over 5 to 10 minutes to precondition (warm up) the Tesla Model Y passenger cabin and battery before starting to drive.)

I charge at home. I use the Tesla J1772 plug adapter with an EVoCharge, 32 Amp, 240V, Level 2 EV Charger. I bought and installed the EVoCharge in 2018 to charge my 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV. (I traded in the Clarity on 1/21/2023 when I bought my MYLR.)

For everyday driving, I set the charge limit to 65% to 75% depending on my mood and/or how much driving I expect to do the next day.

Electricity here in Florida is 13 cents a kilowatt. (Cheap)

I have not seen an increase in my bill. Took advantage of my util's EV rate. They came out and swapped my electric meter to a TOU meter. KWH went up but cost stayed the same. According to Tesla app, it has cost me $40 total to charge the Y since early February.

Charge limit varies between 50 and 90 percent depending on solar and grid CO2 intensity conditions. Charge faster and deeper when it's cleaner, let it float down when the wind dies, etc. HomeAssistant + OpenEVSE make this pretty trivial to accomplish.

I have not seen an increase in my bill. Took advantage of my util's EV rate. They came out and swapped my electric meter to a TOU meter. KWH went up but cost stayed the same. According to Tesla app, it has cost me $40 total to charge the Y since early February.

Unfortunately my electric utility provider does not offer a TOU plan without swapping out the meter - which they won't assist with any funding - total out of pocket is on the customer - which is $400 for the new meter, plus all applicable installation charges around $1000. Our TOU EV rate (called the PIV rate) also isn't much lower than our off-peak rates - so we would only see savings of $3-5 per month best estimate - this estimate is from the utility provider not me - which means we wouldn't see breakeven for $1400/5 = 280 months or 23 years. Not worth it from a ROI standpoint - not even close.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16 and Rocky_H
I charge at home with one of my 5 Tesla Wall connectors. 80% to like 30%, depending on what is needed the next day.
When sunny, I produce about 20kw of solar which gets my 7 PW's charged around noon. I then turn on the EV charging since would rather use my solar, then send back to PGE.

When I am in Florida, I prefer to use the FPL Evolution 350 kWh chargers using my CC1 adapter. They charge faster and are cheaper than the Tesla 250 kWh chargers. They are 3 phase 13,200 volt AC to DC chargers.

Attachments

• FPL WPB Power Transformer IMG_9871.JPG
    FPL WPB Power Transformer IMG_9871.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 74
  • FPL 350 kWh Charge Station WPB Fl Tpke IMG_9876.JPG
    FPL 350 kWh Charge Station WPB Fl Tpke IMG_9876.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 41
  • FPL 3 Phase Power 350 kW IMG_9874.jpg
    FPL 3 Phase Power 350 kW IMG_9874.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 44
  • Tesla FPL 350 kwh Chargers IMG_9440.JPG
    Tesla FPL 350 kwh Chargers IMG_9440.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 43
The initial charge rate varies depending on the beginning SOC and if I remembered to allow enough time for battery preconditioning prior to arrival. It usually starts out over 100kwh and declines as the battery SOC increases.

That's interesting. I have actually hit 250kW on the Tesla Superchargers when my arriving SOC is around 20%. Typically it will stay above 100 kW for quite a while.

The initial charge rate varies depending on the beginning SOC and if I remembered to allow enough time for battery preconditioning prior to arrival. It usually starts out over 100kwh and declines as the battery SOC increases.

100 is not more than 250. Your math does not check out :D

It's very likely less expensive, though.

How much did you pay for your adapter? I wonder how long it would take to break even using the cheaper charger with the purchased adapter.