Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is referral code?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have leased an M3. I can’t seem to locate my referral code to give to others. I have no loot box and it’s not in the account online. Can anyone help please?
Morning,

They seem to have removed it from the desktop site, but I can still see mine in the loot box in the app, do you not have the treasure chest icon in the top right of the app?

Theres talk that it’s going to be scrapped, which might be why the desktop part has gone.

Dave.

Morning,

They seem to have removed it from the desktop site, but I can still see mine in the loot box in the app, do you not have the treasure chest icon in the top right of the app?

Theres talk that it’s going to be scrapped, which might be why the desktop part has gone.

Dave.
Thanks for the reply. Had the car since the end of March, I have have never seen the loot box. It appeared for one day a few days ago but has gone now. When I clicked on it, it just came up with an error.

Thanks for the reply. Had the car since the end of March, I have have never seen the loot box. It appeared for one day a few days ago but has gone now. When I clicked on it, it just came up with an error.
People have previously said that the “loot box” has never worked for them as lease customers (or stopped working last year) - so while they were still able to use the free miles they got by using a referral code they weren’t able to subsequently refer anyone…

Im not a lease customer so don’t know, but I guess it’s possible Tesla have decided that lease don’t get a referral code as part of their changes?

People have previously said that the “loot box” has never worked for them as lease customers (or stopped working last year) - so while they were still able to use the free miles they got by using a referral code they weren’t able to subsequently refer anyone…

Im not a lease customer so don’t know, but I guess it’s possible Tesla have decided that lease don’t get a referral code as part of their changes?
I am a lease customer and still have the loot box, but it doesn’t show the amount of referral miles, just your referral link and a strange broken view of who you’ve referred

It's only just dawned on me (I haven't thought to check before because VW screwed up and didn't use the referral code we'd provided) that we have no loot box visible in app or on desktop. We picked the car up on Friday (25th June) - leased from NHS/Knowles Fleet - and it means we can't even share a referral code. I'm guessing this is a reflection of our 'second class citizen' status as leasees ;-) and/or a sign of where Tesla is heading WRT free supercharger miles.

The loot box occasionally disappears from my app (it had today but reappeared within the past 30 minutes). My account login is also not working today & unlike a courteous "website down for maintenance, we will be back soon" given by most other businesses, there is the usual Tesla communication vacuum.... 'Courteous' is not a word in their corporate vocabulary.

The referral link also disappeared recently from the online account - 'charging' now only shows supercharger sessions & miles remaining. This is presumably in line with the removal of remote referrals and only now promoted via the Tesla phone app.

Tesla is completely revamping referral program after spending $23 million on free Supercharging - Electrek

"According to a source familiar with the matter, Tesla plans to eliminate referral links, which owners often spam on social media, and instead turn to an app-based referral program promoting in-person referrals".

So does anyone know for sure if it's possible to get a referral link for a leased car?

A mate of mine is about to order but I can't find any referral link in my account on the website and I have never had a loot box appear in the app.

So does anyone know for sure if it's possible to get a referral link for a leased car?

A mate of mine is about to order but I can't find any referral link in my account on the website and I have never had a loot box appear in the app.
Hi tribs, I too have a lease (Model 3 AWD) and had to call up Telsa a couple of times (after 3 months of having the car) before they gave me a referral link and the loot box magically appeared. Initially they said they couldn't do anything and to ask the lease company. Worth persevering. Good luck, jmh.

It's only just dawned on me (I haven't thought to check before because VW screwed up and didn't use the referral code we'd provided) that we have no loot box visible in app or on desktop. We picked the car up on Friday (25th June) - leased from NHS/Knowles Fleet - and it means we can't even share a referral code. I'm guessing this is a reflection of our 'second class citizen' status as leasees ;-) and/or a sign of where Tesla is heading WRT free supercharger miles.
Our sort-of solution (VW Leasing didn't use the referral code provided by us to the fleet company) appears to be in hand. I chased Knowles Fleet yesterday (the day after our first use of the superchargers) and was told that we will get a refund through this month's payroll. I'm guessing it will be about £100 and the implication is that VW coughed up.

Of course, that doesn't solve the wider (leasing?) issue of no loot box and no ability to share our own referral code, but it's something. I'll check my wife's next payslip with interest... ;)

I'm not sure what 1000 referral miles are really worth but I seem to recall something between £40-45 being mentioned elsewhere.
You actually receive 400 kWh of charging which at 30p per kWh works out at about £120. Additionally you should find that you are able to do far more than 1000 miles with 400 kWh.

Our sort-of solution (VW Leasing didn't use the referral code provided by us to the fleet company) appears to be in hand. I chased Knowles Fleet yesterday (the day after our first use of the superchargers) and was told that we will get a refund through this month's payroll. I'm guessing it will be about £100 and the implication is that VW coughed up.

Of course, that doesn't solve the wider (leasing?) issue of no loot box and no ability to share our own referral code, but it's something. I'll check my wife's next payslip with interest... ;)
Just because you are leasing doesn't mean you don't have a referral code. You should have a loot box on your app. Complain to Tesla if you haven't.

Reactions: DigbyChicken
I did not know that. I will get onto Tesla tomorrow...! (Wish me luck.)

Any Tesla account will have a referral code associated with it - common scenario for those with additional driver profiles set up. Whether it is of any use is a different matter - it needs to be the main account associated with the car to be any benefit (free supercharging wise) to yourself otherwise any referrals earned will effectively be lost as there is no car that the 'miles' can be used with. Latter scenario is probably the situation where a third party controls the main car account. I have a referral code for my drivers account but I certainly wouldn't bother giving it out - but I do with my wife's account as that is the main account associated with the car. May be a similar situation with third party? You probably need to be using the third parties referral code to have any benefit credited to the car.

Reactions: DigbyChicken