Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the front radar on Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed a vinyl license "plate" on my Model 3 and now the front radar is apparently not working ("limited visibility") message on the screen. Could it be that I'm somehow blocking the radar sensor, or is this just co-incidence? The vinyl is centered left/right and isn't covering any kind of opening or plug.

Curious if they give you any more detail- seems like you'd have similar problems with a metal license plate near the same location (which most of us will likely have at some point). My Sto-n-Sho removable front plate bracket should be here in the next few days- I'm assuming they've tested with EAP, but I guess I'll find out.

Reactions: jsmay311
The service person didn't have the specifics which I was seeking, but from what I can tell, I stuck the sticker a couple/few inches higher than the Tesla mounting bracket locates the plate. I therefore conclude that the radar is located above the stock license plate location.

So, the Sto-N-Sho bracket may not interfere with the radar since it's even lower, but it does block some of the already small front grille area. If you live in a hot climate, it would be worth trying to find out if cooling would become an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
I'm curious why anyone is bothering with a fake license plate sticker? The penalty for no front plate is a fix it ticket in CA. The penalty for a counterfeit license plate is a misdemeanor or felony depending on cop/judge/DA/whatever. The best case scenario is they ignore the sticker and cite you for no front plate. Worst case is you get a citation for forgery of a license plate.

You're better off contouring the plate to your bumper without flattening the raised letters and using adhesive to hold it on. You'll at least have a real plate on the car.

CA Vehicle Code 4463 VC: Forgery or Falsification of Car Registration

Having a sticker of your plate on the car isn't going to eliminate the meter maid for citing 'No front plate" tickets. You're better off leaving the new car registration paper in the lower corner of the window.

I'm curious why anyone is bothering with a fake license plate sticker? The penalty for no front plate is a fix it ticket in CA. The penalty for a counterfeit license plate is a misdemeanor or felony depending on cop/judge/DA/whatever. The best case scenario is they ignore the sticker and cite you for no front plate. Worst case is you get a citation for forgery of a license plate.

You're better off contouring the plate to your bumper without flattening the raised letters and using adhesive to hold it on. You'll at least have a real plate on the car.

Having a sticker of your plate on the car isn't going to eliminate the meter maid for citing 'No front plate" tickets. You're better off leaving the new car registration paper in the lower corner of the window.

I disagree. You'll never get prosecuted for forgery if the sticker displays the assigned license plate number.

“Fraud” is generally defined as a deliberate deception in order to secure an unfair or unlawful gain.

Can you detail what unfair or unlawful gain could occur from using a license plate sticker that displays the assigned license plate number?

Did you get your plate decal from customlicenseplates.us?

Yes. If you print one at home without any metal in it, it should be OK, but it may not look as realistic.

I'm curious why anyone is bothering with a fake license plate sticker?

There's look and removability. Assuming the cop isn't looking closely, I thought I'd get by. People at work walking by my car didn't realize it was a sticker until I told them the story. And being the first Model 3 they'd seen in person they probably gave it a look or two.

As for placement, my sticker was placed lower than the bracket position.

teslaplateday2_1a.jpg
License plate wraps are legal in California. check this link: www.licenseplatewrap.com. Ths issue I am having is I mounted mine too high and it interferes with EAP. Bummer that I have to pull it off and try mounting it lower
teslaplateday2_screen.jpg
teslaplateday2_screen.jpg
teslaplateday2_3a.jpg

Reactions: rrosenbl
Thanks for posting a follow up. This seems to confirm that generic plate stickers are not legal as license plate wrap had to jump through a lot of hoops to sell their product.

To be clear, this isn’t like those window static things, this is a sticker that can’t be removed and put back on as desired (I.e. remove for a photoshoot or something) but a one time semi permanent sticker, right? Does it only come in white for CA?

Thank you for this post. Had same issue, installed plate wrap too high, had exact same issue with radar. Ordered new one to reinstall lower as I destroyed it on removal.

“This seems to confirm that generic plate stickers are not legal as license plate wrap had to jump through a lot of hoops to sell their product.”

Not sure of this logic and conclusion.

In CA, there is a pilot program and it is allowed. I received approval letter also from CA DMV. License Plate Wrap site has the relevant legislation...trust, but do your own verification.

Reactions: rrosenbl