Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not messing with people, I can't post the actual pics yet and I won't divulge why. However to prove Im not messing with you, let me show you something no one else can or will.

I'm not exactly sure what this proves. It's quite simple to make a 3D-style modeling from a photo. I haven't spent much time on this, but I could snap a photo in Vegas of the existing car, skin it, and post it up here as well. Would it be any different? I don't know. Regardless, my BS detector is going off.

X battery packs

I've been asked about X battery options and I'd like for everyone to get the answer.

The model X will have only 85 and 60 battery.

The form factor has changed slightly. Comparing to 2012-S, the batteries are roughly 20% better. However instead of putting more batteries in the car, the efficiency is used to take weight out. When you model battery size vs. range there is a point at which increasing battery size has diminishing returns (due to added weight). That point rests almost squarely at 85kwhr for the next 3 years. Current improvements in battery energy density are not best used to add more pack power, but to reduce the weight of the vehicle allowing longer range with the same 85kwhr pack.
X is slightly overweight as it stands now and every attempt is being made to save weight wherever possible. Considering it is a much larger car, the efficiency gains in batteries will show themselves when it achieves the same range as the S.

I'm not exactly sure what this proves. It's quite simple to make a 3D-style modeling from a photo. I haven't spent much time on this, but I could snap a photo in Vegas of the existing car, skin it, and post it up here as well. Would it be any different? I don't know. Regardless, my BS detector is going off.

This would appear to be a CAD model. It would take an individual weeks to produce a model with this level of detail.

I realize the source is unproven, but this all seems believable. Tesla likely has already shared the design with partners for purposes of developing third party accessories. They have said as much with their email indicating they were working on rack solutions, and there are reports of least one rack manufacturer already listing the 2015 Model X in their catalog.

These renderings seem consistent with the shadowy teaser photo that they sent out in November in terms of seat profiles and overall shape. I remember noticing in this photo that the nose cone appears to be missing when compared side-by-side with the original design.

attachment.php?attachmentid=63953&d=1416367371.png

This mysterious insiderinfo seems worth listening to, and I'm interested to see what else he provides.

I've been asked about X battery options and I'd like for everyone to get the answer.

The model X will have only 85 and 60 battery.

The form factor has changed slightly. Comparing to 2012-S, the batteries are roughly 20% better. However instead of putting more batteries in the car, the efficiency is used to take weight out. When you model battery size vs. range there is a point at which increasing battery size has diminishing returns (due to added weight). That point rests almost squarely at 85kwhr for the next 3 years. Current improvements in battery energy density are not best used to add more pack power, but to reduce the weight of the vehicle allowing longer range with the same 85kwhr pack.
X is slightly overweight as it stands now and every attempt is being made to save weight wherever possible. Considering it is a much larger car, the efficiency gains in batteries will show themselves when it achieves the same range as the S.

None of that is new info.

P.S. It's "85kWh" not "85kwhr"

Last edited:
I'm not messing with people, I can't post the actual pics yet and I won't divulge why. However to prove Im not messing with you, let me show you something no one else can or will.
That is a pano roof over the front seats!

Definitely new - and adds to the weight savings bit he posted about with battery size staying at 60 and 85

- - - Updated - - -

The door seam.
If you look closely at the edges you can see he missed some sort of mount. it does look like an aftermarket addon was blacked out!

Last edited by a moderator: