Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, I see my question had already been asked, and sort of answered. And I never even saw the beta X photos that others mentioned. Interesting...
-------------
@insiderinfo, your profile says you are in Ireland. How do you know the "inside information" that you posted?

There are a number of BETA cars that are currently testing they would represent what you guys are calling "mule" They total 25 or so. Some are drivable some are not. They are used for different tests, the different engineering teams get a car and run their perspective tests on it. I can put up a picture, and I likely will very soon. But Just as a heads up, the front has changed allot, there is no more fake grill (nose cone). Enjoy the tidbits.

Last edited:
In signing up for TMC, we all signed a TOS & agreed not to post proprietary information. If you knowingly post proprietary info, you're violating the TOS.

This really isn't something to argue about.
Hope my comment about "freaky fast" was not considered argument.

Doug, Can you say if that notice was from Tesla ?
I am curious about that as well...

I was more 'anticipating' than 'responding'. If you know what I mean. :)
Taking moderation to the next level! lvlUp

- - - Updated - - -

The removal request of the photo by Tesla means that it was legit and confirms insiderinfo's credibility.

So, from this we know that the X has a pano roof over the driver seats and the interior is not so blocky like in the prototype.

So, from this we know that the X has a pano roof over the driver seats and the interior is not so blocky like in the prototype.
I'm not convinced based on this picture alone. There's a line going down the inside of the roof that appears to be perhaps a ribbon cable from the rear view mirror assembly on the windscreen to the aft of the forward compartment. I don't think Tesla would have a cable running down the middle of a sun roof, but you never know. However, I am in agreement that it looks [ahem.. looked!] like perhaps a roof rack assembly.

Then again, if somebody (not saying it was me) did save the file (not saying that I did), and if that somebody looked at the file name (of the file they may or may not have saved), it might say something about "pano roof" in the file name.

:wink:

Last edited:
I'm not convinced based on this picture alone. There's a line going down the inside of the roof that appears to be perhaps a ribbon cable from the rear view mirror assembly on the windscreen to the aft of the forward compartment. I don't think Tesla would have a cable running down the middle of a sun roof, but you never know. However, I am in agreement that it looks [ahem.. looked!] like perhaps a roof rack assembly.

Could just have easily been a deliberate "cut-out" to show the position of something relative to the car interior. Also the picture could be a year old or a day old, may have come from Tesla originally or be something recreated by a designer for roof racks or, or....

Too many questions to be really interesting IMO.

The removal request of the photo by Tesla means that it was legit and confirms insiderinfo's credibility.

Not quite. Likely, but not for certain. Doug didn't confirm that the request was from Tesla (vs a third-party that created the mount we think we saw), and even if it was, 'proprietary info' doesn't confirm everything (or anything specific) that we think we learned from the image.

It seems most likely that he is coming from a 3rd party part for the car, and I have no reason to believe that they would show the roof rack company the entire car accurately. Likewise, it seems he knows no better than us whether there will be a 60kwh in the Model X, which ultimately seems unlikely at the time due to the lack of a S60D.