Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I

attachment.php?attachmentid=70957&d=1422738294.jpg
For those who have seen the P85D with an open frunk, the added length of the stealth car makes sense - the frunk of the P85D loses the entire microwave and a few inches of the larger compartment. In a car that will be even more about its carrying capacity, more frunk will be welcome. May also help with frontal and 3/4 crash testing to get the bigger crumple zone. Same goes for the back, more seat room (X-prototype at Teslive and other events didn't have bad legroom, but a little more would be welcome). So this may be close to its length. Hopefully there is a more sculpted rear end (don't we all hope for that as we season through life).

I found this overlay picture View attachment 70972
on another site that makes it seem a bit larger in length, height and in the rear end area compared to the prototype.

Does anyone else feel like the camo car has some junk in its trunk? In the top picture. It looks severely canted back to front like the Seahawks' defensive line was riding in the back.

Michigan Models has ridden in cars testing Mobileye tech and mentioned it was gear intensive, wonder if this was an outset of autonomous driving with a bunch of monitoring and analytical gear (and some techs) in the back?

This is a nice photo, and there certainly can be a difference in axel distance, but we also must consider that this video is from a slightly elevanted vantage point - hence some of that added height is actually just roof and bonnet showing on the video's car, where as the lower vantage point for the PR photo doesn't show these areas.

But as sigurdi says, if Model X prototype indeed had an increased wheelbase compared to Model S, it would make sense to reduce that to Model S axel distance for the production vehicle thus shortening it a little - and increasing overhangs to compensate.

There could also be differences in ride height based on air suspension settings and changes in that department.

I found this overlay picture View attachment 70972
on another site that makes it seem a bit larger in length, height and in the rear end area compared to the prototype.

Is it me, or are the side mirrors, well yes mirrors and not the small cameras we have seen on the pictures on the Tesla site?

Did Elon not say for a couple of shareholders meetings ago, that the production model would be very different som the prototypes?

I am going on a factory tour wednesday this week, and was hoping when I booked back in december that I would be able to see Model X in production, but I guess that, this is still too early...

BTW, who on earth arranges conference meetings on Super Bowl sunday... Well VMWare does., first time I am in the US on this day and then...

/Martin

Is it me, or are the side mirrors, well yes mirrors and not the small cameras we have seen on the pictures on the Tesla site?

Did Elon not say for a couple of shareholders meetings ago, that the production model would be very different som the prototypes?

Side mirrors certainly are there, although they would not be too difficult to camouflage on top of the cameras either. Tesla has shown early Model X prototypes with and without mirrors, so it doesn't really tell much of what they plan to ship. May well depend on the market too.

As for being very different, an earlier leak seemed to confirm the removal of mask from front. The heavy camo on this mule on front and back (that makes it Prius-like), if indeed Model X, suggests those may be the most affected areas externally. Also the Falcon wings are a lighter design.

As for being very different, an earlier leak seemed to confirm the removal of mask from front. The heavy camo on this mule on front and back (that makes it Prius-like), if indeed Model X, suggests those may be the most affected areas externally. Also the Falcon wings are a lighter design.

I think we're into fantasy land again to suggest that any of those details can be ascertained from the grainy, camouflaged shots we've seen (of what is assumed/guessed to be Model X). That the falcon wings are a lighter design when it's not even clear these are falcon wings at all.....:rolleyes:

I think we're into fantasy land again to suggest that any of those details can be ascertained from the grainy, camouflaged shots we've seen (of what is assumed/guessed to be Model X). That the falcon wings are a lighter design when it's not even clear these are falcon wings at all.....:rolleyes:

I was listing things that have changed externally and could thus use camouflaging, not saying I determined these from this video. I thought that much was clear, considering all these things I listed have been discussed in this very thread a few hundred posts upwards? Where have you been. ;)

Obviously the option remains this test vehicle is not a Model X at all. Just now some kinder words were exchanged over the Model 3 forum to that effect.

What follows is based on the alternative that this is Model X - if it isn't, then these observations are not related to this test mule at all:

I'm not suggesting the removal of the mask/nose cone based on these images, but from previous alleged leaks. Removal of the front mask has been widely discussed prior. Maybe it is accurate, maybe not. It could fit with aerodynamic goals and talk of working to extend the range. As far as these images are concerned, only thing is that the front and back of the vehicle seem camoed more than the sides, which would be logical if these areas of the car have indeed been redesigned since the prototype unveil. If the car, externally, looked like the prototype, there would be very little reason to camouflage it at all. At the very least, this video is not at odds with these previous nuggets of possible info.

As for the lighter falcon wings, the assumption of those came from the Model X November 2014 update email (see also message #113 in this thread) and has been widely discussed as well. It could, of course, be some work in progress and not the final product, but also it would fit with Tesla's comments at various events on working on reducing Model X weight. As for falcon wings and this test mule, I would say this image seems to hint at a front handle for the rear doors and some weird door camo that suggests falcon wings (see message #212).

Now, of course, all of this speculation can be wrong. But I would say it is more in the informed guess territory than in fantasy land.

But I would say it is more in the informed guess territory than in fantasy land.

Just bear in mind that your 'informed guess' is already based on someone else's 'informed guess' with regards to the reworked photoshop of a door design versus a year(s) old prototype photo, one or both of which could easily have been computer generated. It's tough to remain objective when we soooo want these things to match our fantasies.

@NigelM if you go back in the tread and see the movie or the picture of the car loaded into the trailer, the door handle of the back door is viewable through the camo. :)
One of the signs this is the Model X Beta.
Since you have been absent Nigel, out driving on a airfield?

Just bear in mind that your 'informed guess' is already based on someone else's 'informed guess' with regards to the reworked photoshop of a door design versus a year(s) old prototype photo, one or both of which could easily have been computer generated. It's tough to remain objective when we soooo want these things to match our fantasies.

Can't agree more ... statements like 'previously alleged leaks' makes it sound like there was some potentially credible source. But was there? Same thing with all the speculation about battery size. At this point people (for the most part) have forgotten that the source of THAT rumor was wishful thinking of some forum members.

I'm good with all the speculation and fun in Fantasy Land. It's better than the touchiness and snippiness and short tempers that will be evident when deliveries are close or have started (if anything like Model S rollout). :) My only concern is that there have been instances where the forum has wound stuff up to the point that there is massive disappointment when the fantasies are not true & there is no one to blame but ourselves. Yet we try to blame Tesla.

Just something to keep in mind.

You guys keep posting comparison photos without scaling the images correctly -.-

You won't get a good comparison on the length if the scaling on the wheel diameter isn't 1:1

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, what we've been comparing is the wheelbase, which can't change much as the skateboard can't change (unless they are developing a new skateboard). As for photoshopping, as long as we get a photo of the X/S that didn't come from Tesla PR, then there probably won't be much of a problem.

Exactly. Or conclusions are based on assumptions that are forgotten somewhere along the line. The MX is based on the MS so the wheelbase must be the same so if we stretch the picture of the spy photo car to fit the wheelbase of the MX prototype, they are the same size so it must be a MX. Huh?

I am merely explaining my thinking behind the speculation I'm offering. It is not a confirmed fact, it is a guess based on this reasoning, based on - obviously - a lot of hearsay as well as posted official and unofficial data, photos, video. That's always the case with product leaks. Perhaps informed guess is not the best word, but again English is not my first language. I'm sure you get the intent. Of course it is possible the source of the speculation is fantasy, but that's why it is a process where a lot of things are considered and thrown around. Discussion forums help hash things out.

Why would I want to fantasize anything about the Model X? I think analyzing these sources and information bits is a productive way of waiting, as far as a Model X forum goes. The fun comes from trying to be accurate, not painting a pretty picture. I am considering the tidbits we have with my eyes wide open. This is not the first technology product in the history of man to be speculated about and it won't be the last. It is a process and there will be hits and misses. Healthy debate helps hash those out.

As you say, in this case the source of the nose cone removal also had a drawing that Tesla demanded removed from TMC. That gives it some credibility. Add to this the musings heard from the factory that the new Model X revisions look much better. All these sources may be completely false, but I think it is enough to consider. Maybe Tesla had the picture from TMC removed just to mess with us or just in case. Or maybe the source had some things right and others wrong, all this is possible of course.

The streamlined falcon wings came from Tesla themselves. Or are you suggesting a false image was circulated in email? Sure, it could be a false PR drawing and not the end-product, but again enough to consider. I checked the original JPG with Photoshop myself, the parallel image matches when Levels are adjusted in Photoshop - the doors are obviously a new design, not seen properly in public (thus a reason to camo them on a beta vehicle). Again, of course it is possible a false image is being circulated in the first place, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

I would love to hear if you think nose cone will be gone from Model X or if the falcon wings are there and are streamlined, and why you think so. You probably have your own informed guess. I would personally find that contribution very welcome - calling it fantasy seems unnecessarily dismissive to me. In my humble opinion, more constructive would be to say which part one finds unlikely or false, and why, than to put it under doubt with simply a blanket statement. Just my opinion.

Personally, I think it is 90% likely the falcon wings are in production Model X in a streamlined form. I think it is maybe 30% likely the nose cone is gone entirely.

We will see in due time if Model X appears without a nose cone and with streamlined falcon wings, of course. So not to worry. This will all go into a bit more context then.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't agree more ... statements like 'previously alleged leaks' makes it sound like there was some potentially credible source. But was there? Same thing with all the speculation about battery size. At this point people (for the most part) have forgotten that the source of THAT rumor was wishful thinking of some forum members.

I'm good with all the speculation and fun in Fantasy Land. It's better than the touchiness and snippiness and short tempers that will be evident when deliveries are close or have started (if anything like Model S rollout). :) My only concern is that there have been instances where the forum has wound stuff up to the point that there is massive disappointment when the fantasies are not true & there is no one to blame but ourselves. Yet we try to blame Tesla.

Just something to keep in mind.

If Tesla feels lack of information is hurting them, they are big girls and boys there, they can fix it by offering some or being more clear about it. ;)

Just to clarify the two issues that were called fantasy land:

The source for the nose cone was one that Tesla silenced themselves, according to TMC moderators, via a picture removal request. Now, that alone doesn't prove the nose cone is gone, but it is easier to assume there was something there as opposed to just any anonymous poster.

The streamlines falcon wings came from Tesla themselves. I don't see how they could blame anyone but themselves for that piece of "fantasy".

The source for the nose cone was one that Tesla silenced themselves, according to TMC moderators, via a picture removal request. Now, that alone doesn't prove the nose cone is gone, but it is easier to assume there was something there as opposed to just any anonymous poster.

The streamlines falcon wings came from Tesla themselves. I don't see how they could blame anyone but themselves for that piece of "fantasy".

There was nothing in that drawing that would confirm removal of the nose cone (or that it was still in place). Nada. Moderators did not say anything like that. Pure speculation on the part of TMC members. That's all.

Can you point me to a source where Tesla referenced streamlining falcon wing doors? I seem to have missed it.

Or the poopstorm that would ensue if pricing slides downward to make room for new models, like virtually all other evolving tech... Except I really mean "when," not "if"...

Rather than slide down the price (pissing people off in the process) they would probably improve the car, like they've been doing all along. The price benefits would come into play when they introduce new models *under* their flagship model.