Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where not to take your Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Matt_D

Model S Plaid 2021, Model X 2019
Sep 3, 2012
Mountain View, CA
I was visiting Monterey today, and noted that the Chargepoint app showed two EV chargers in the parking garage for the Clement hotel.

The people that manage this garage for the Intercontinental routinely park non-EVs in the EV spots. They will tell you on the way in that "EV spots are not available." Drive around the garage and you will find why: the valets park other cars in those spaces.

I demanded they move or tow the valet vehicle and they finally relented and moved it. (I demanded on the grounds other spots were open, although that shouldn't matter.)

They claimed this affront to the EV community was "authorized by management."

I would strongly encourage all of you to not trust the status of these spots and do business with another hotel (we did.)

I was visiting Monterey today, and noted that the Chargepoint app showed two EV chargers in the parking garage for the Clement hotel.

The people that manage this garage for the Intercontinental routinely park non-EVs in the EV spots. They will tell you on the way in that "EV spots are not available." Drive around the garage and you will find why: the valets park other cars in those spaces.

I demanded they move or tow the valet vehicle and they finally relented and moved it. (I demanded on the grounds other spots were open, although that shouldn't matter.)

I would strongly encourage all of you to not trust the status of these spots and do business with another hotel (we did.)

Did you bring it to the attention of hotel management? And let them know of your decision? It's quite possible they weren't aware of the situation ... and if they were then you you would have sent the right message regarding consequences.

Many hotels hire a subcontractor to manage their parking garage, the result being that the garage employees are not hotel employees. This makes it all the more important to take up the issue with hotel management.

I've found that some reputable hotel chains have installed level one ChargePoint stations, which are barely worth plugging into unless you can leave your car there for 24 hours. I spoke to the regional ChargePoint sales rep, and he told me that such installations are usually the result of hotels wanting to make a good impression but unwilling to pay for a 240V circuit. Again, I don't hesitate to take it up with the hotel management.

I stayed at the Clement recently and they were very accommodating, including reserving a charging spot for me during my stay. The garage guys loved the Roadster (having seen many more Model S's).

The Clement is my favorite place to stay in Monterey, so I'm selfishly glad if you-all avoid it.

Did you bring it to the attention of hotel management? And let them know of your decision? It's quite possible they weren't aware of the situation ... and if they were then you you would have sent the right message regarding consequences.

Yes, and there was no response. As in I was sent to an email address and no one responded (no surprise.)

- - - Updated - - -

Randy, that's not really an option. When the parking garage is full and there's only two spaces for EVs, and they are both occupied with ICE vehicles, extension cords are of no value.

- - - Updated - - -

Many hotels hire a subcontractor to manage their parking garage, the result being that the garage employees are not hotel employees. This makes it all the more important to take up the issue with hotel management.

I've found that some reputable hotel chains have installed level one ChargePoint stations, which are barely worth plugging into unless you can leave your car there for 24 hours. I spoke to the regional ChargePoint sales rep, and he told me that such installations are usually the result of hotels wanting to make a good impression but unwilling to pay for a 240V circuit. Again, I don't hesitate to take it up with the hotel management.

The people that operate their valet and parking garage are amusingly named "Propark" -- the problem is the EV chargers are stuck in the garage.

I've been at both ends of this spectrum. I've stayed at a hotel where the Charging station was in the valet lot. I communicated my need for charging when I made my hotel reservation, and when I arrived, the charging space was blocked with an orange cone, and reserved for me. I've also stayed at a hotel where two charging stations were in the self-parking garage (managed by the hotel). One station was placed so it could be accessed by 4 spaces. All 4 EV spaces had signage, and all 4 EV spaces were ICE'd. The other station was in a remote area of the parking garage, and was accessible by 2 EV spaces with signage. Both of those spaces were also ICE'd. I mentioned this to the front desk manager and the response was first come, first served. EV spaces are not treated like handicapped spaces. The front desk manager recommended that if I waited until late evening, or early the next morning, some of the spaces should open up. Fortunately they did. Since we weren't out of charge, and since we were staying for 3 nights it all worked out. If we were just passing through, on a one night stay, it would have been a problem.

A review at Trip Advisor might get their attention.