Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where Would You Suggest Tesla To Build Their Supercharging Stations In Hong Kong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should make an app to allow users to see which SC are currently being used, like the e-charge app in HK, where it shows the status of charging stations operated by HK E-Charge.

They could expand that app, to show which charging spots are being ICEd ... imagine it says 4 spots are available, only for you to find them blocked by horse carriages or similar technology which doesn't require electric charging.

Is it only the US outdoor superchargers get a roof over them? it doesn't seem other countries get a roof over their SCs

Only a few US Superchargers have a roof, almost all of them do not. I think Tesla wanted to roof them, but realized early on that permitting and property restrictions were going to add too much delay to the schedules. The rumour is that they may go back to the chargers later and put roofs on them, but that hasn't been confirmed.

There is a 2-bay Supercharger in the service center. But it isn't open for public use (I was told it is for cars doing service). But pretty sure if you are running out of power they will let you use it.

That makes a lot of sense. Can't imagine the service they provide if a service centre is without superchargers. There should be at least one secret one in Cyberport then.

Today the delivery guy at Tesla told me that there will be some wall connectors installed in some other carparks which they cannot install Superchargers. The service team is compiling a list of carparks that the MS can charge at.

32A? Three phase?

I wonder where this is all going to end - how many superchargers, how will ChaDeMo and the other standards evolve? Currently (haha), I only have access to a 13A charger nearby, and that's either 18 or 24 HKD/hour. For now, I think I would be a frequent visitor to superchargers, as well as other high speed chargers.

It's really not just a question of how many km/h charged, but how many HKD to charge up fully (or HKD pr kWh), when you add charging fees and parking fees. Even if a supercharger spot was in a parking where it was 100 HKD pr hour, it would still be a magnitude cheaper than going to a 13A spot, where it is 24 HKD pr hour to park. And of course, much more convenient.

Troops, as you get your cars, be sure to ask around as much as possible, can I charge my car? This wherever you are going, car parks, hotels, restaurants, shopping malls. They won't install many chargers as long as they can say "no-one is asking for charging their car"

Today the delivery guy at Tesla told me that there will be some wall connectors installed in some other carparks which they cannot install Superchargers. The service team is compiling a list of carparks that the MS can charge at.
I went to Hopewell again tonight to see if there is any 32A connectors (told by EV Power). There is 1 on the Roadster charging station. So both Model S and Roadster can charge in this spot. It would be nice if they replace it with HPWC when it is available.

Any updates on new SC locations in addition to Hopewell Center and Cruiseship Terminal? Anything under construction already?
Back in 10 days ago I emailed Tesla HK the following. Haven't heard anything. I guess I should check with Kevin since the letter should come from Tesla HQ high executive.
Dear Jacques, my sister Jeanne suggests that Tesla Motors to go though the proper procedure to request installing Super Chargers in Hong Kong. This procedure would cover all 18 districts, not just for Science Park.

Tesla Motors would write a letter to the Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office in San Francisco (something like, for example: Tesla Motors would like to promote environmental protection by enhancing electrification transportation by installing Super Chargers in all 18 Districts in Hong Kong.....). See Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office, San Francisco for contacts and other info.

The HKETO have to take the letter back to Hong Kong's 18 District Councils. The Councils may contact Tesla for more information before talking to the property owners in these 18 Districts. This way, the request for Super Charger installation would be formally documented and follow through.

I'm eager to see Supercharging stations set up at the Cyberport in Pokfulam. Aside from living in the area and owning a Model S, there are a growing number of the cars in the area. There's a hotel, dining, shopping and entertainment facilities in the Cyberport complex. An ideal location!

To be realistic and practical, I reckon one on Hong Kong Island East, somewhere Heng Fa Chuen or Chai Wan would be nice as there are sufficient area to build.

Not exactly near where I live, but close enough.

What about you? Where do you think is practical / convenient for you?