Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where Would You Suggest Tesla To Build Their Supercharging Stations In Hong Kong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The third supercharger will be located in cyberport, according to Ming Pao
Screenshot_2014-10-18-10-22-38.png
(Chinese only)

I have been talking with others about having a sign made to say something about the spots being reserved for Tesla Motors cars - put it on the wall and see how long it would be allowed to sit there. And making some cones also with some sign on, put one in each spot.

Either they will be moved by the staff quickly, or they would just ... leave it where it is. I think it would be worth a try.

As long as there is no sign, people won't know it is made for electric cars. Just see the opposite wall, despite a large sign on the wall, those spots are also iced when it is a busy day. We need a sign AND cones.

FREKS?

Did you report it to Tesla Motors? They need to know it is a problem, the more we call them about it, the more they know it is an issue. I am sure Tesla Motors didn't install those superchargers just to have ICE cars park there.

View attachment 62056

Oct 19 12:30pm. Kai Tak.

:mad:

Is Kai Tak actually that busy? No other parking space?

- - - Updated - - -

I have been talking with others about having a sign made to say something about the spots being reserved for Tesla Motors cars - put it on the wall and see how long it would be allowed to sit there. And making some cones also with some sign on, put one in each spot.

Either they will be moved by the staff quickly, or they would just ... leave it where it is. I think it would be worth a try.

As long as there is no sign, people won't know it is made for electric cars. Just see the opposite wall, despite a large sign on the wall, those spots are also iced when it is a busy day. We need a sign AND cones.

FREKS?

Did you report it to Tesla Motors? They need to know it is a problem, the more we call them about it, the more they know it is an issue. I am sure Tesla Motors didn't install those superchargers just to have ICE cars park there.

I think you need to colour the parking spaces red first.

Is Kai Tak actually that busy? No other parking space?

- - - Updated - - -

I think you need to colour the parking spaces red first.

It's busy when it's busy. On October 1st it was all full, all 25ish 13A spots were ICEd, as well as all 4 supercharger spots. When the ICE car drivers returned, I asked some of them - of course, they had no idea what those read and white stalls were - and how should they? It doesn't say anywhere what it is for, nor give any reason for anyone not to park there.

They can colour the pavement green, red or blue - it might help against some parking, yet cones is #1, as it clearly marks "don't park here". Those with EVs know why, and won't hesitate to move those cones. It's like this in TMT Plaza phase 1, and I have never seen it iced. Same in Gold Coast Piazza, coned off and only "blocked" by Sinos own Nissan Leaf haha! Anyway, I guess a Leaf or i3 deserves a 13A spot more than a Tesla.

Yes, cones are #1, paint #2, motivated staff #3, clear signs #4 ... don't know about warnings of towing or fines?

- - - Updated - - -

I suggested Tesla Motors several supercharger spots already, and I am communicating directly with two of the charging engineers of TM. Keep the suggestions coming, and be aware that there is more to life than superchargers:

Under certain conditions, TM will supply wall chargers for free to public parking lots. They must do the installation themselves, but then Tesla Motors will add the charger.

Keep putting pressure on. Every time you go somewhere, ask for charging. The more often people ask for charging, the more likely it is that staff will tell their managers that "People have started to ask for chargers more often". And when a shopping mall DO install chargers, especially faster ones, be sure to use them to support their business.

It would be interesting to hear more about those locations that reject supercharger installations - what are their reasons?

- No infrastructure (electric) to route the cabling
- Parking lot always full, cannot lock out some spots for some cars only
- Afraid of fire, and other insurance related concerns

- Cost? How much does Tesla Motors pay, how much does the location pay? Does Tesla Motors pay for all the electricity?

It's busy when it's busy. On October 1st it was all full, all 25ish 13A spots were ICEd, as well as all 4 supercharger spots. When the ICE car drivers returned, I asked some of them - of course, they had no idea what those read and white stalls were - and how should they? It doesn't say anywhere what it is for, nor give any reason for anyone not to park there.

They can colour the pavement green, red or blue - it might help against some parking, yet cones is #1, as it clearly marks "don't park here". Those with EVs know why, and won't hesitate to move those cones. It's like this in TMT Plaza phase 1, and I have never seen it iced. Same in Gold Coast Piazza, coned off and only "blocked" by Sinos own Nissan Leaf haha! Anyway, I guess a Leaf or i3 deserves a 13A spot more than a Tesla.

Yes, cones are #1, paint #2, motivated staff #3, clear signs #4 ... don't know about warnings of towing or fines?

- - - Updated - - -

I suggested Tesla Motors several supercharger spots already, and I am communicating directly with two of the charging engineers of TM. Keep the suggestions coming, and be aware that there is more to life than superchargers:

Under certain conditions, TM will supply wall chargers for free to public parking lots. They must do the installation themselves, but then Tesla Motors will add the charger.

Keep putting pressure on. Every time you go somewhere, ask for charging. The more often people ask for charging, the more likely it is that staff will tell their managers that "People have started to ask for chargers more often". And when a shopping mall DO install chargers, especially faster ones, be sure to use them to support their business.

It would be interesting to hear more about those locations that reject supercharger installations - what are their reasons?

- No infrastructure (electric) to route the cabling
- Parking lot always full, cannot lock out some spots for some cars only
- Afraid of fire, and other insurance related concerns

- Cost? How much does Tesla Motors pay, how much does the location pay? Does Tesla Motors pay for all the electricity?

I totally agree with you, but the cable for 13A does seem a little too expensive considering the amount of charging during those 2 to 3 hours of stay. I would love to put pressure on them too...If only the cable is less costly.

Yes I'm not sure the cable is worth the cost if you are able to charge at home.

I hope they put a supercharger somewhere in the New Territories, given they are in all other districts. Science park seems ideal, though there are other locations that would work.

As as for being ICE'd, has anyone put a sign under people's wipers explaining what they are doing is bad form? If we could get one written that is reasonable in tone, in Chinese and English, it would be useful.

As as for being ICE'd, has anyone put a sign under people's wipers explaining what they are doing is bad form? If we could get one written that is reasonable in tone, in Chinese and English, it would be useful.

Agreed, we should have that.

If we could agree on a design and have a larger amount printed, maybe in the form of business cards - that could be useful, and an economic option. Or would that be too small, some A5 size needed to attract attention? If it looks like advertisement, most people would probably throw it out, without reading it. Maybe something that looks like a parking fine?

If we could agree on a design and have a larger amount printed, maybe in the form of business cards - that could be useful, and an economic option. Or would that be too small, some A5 size needed to attract attention? If it looks like advertisement, most people would probably throw it out, without reading it. Maybe something that looks like a parking fine?

The hittest and cutest thing online recently is MR AND little miss hk people. MR LITTLE MISS HK PEOPLE

Maybe we can liaise with the creator and ask him or her for help in creating a small card / sign for anyone to print out at home.

I think ICE drivers are unaware the spots are for charging, while some don't care. I think we all know parking can be painful, so finding a spot is finding a spot, regardless of what kind of spot it is. Me personally, i don't feel comfortable parking in a spot not meant for my car, but not everyone is the same.

Signage and cones may help, but I'm also wondering, what if cars parked in those spots could be charged a premium?? Let's say $50hkd per hour extra for parking in an EV spot. Now the EV vehicles can take advantage of that because they are charging their vehicles and using the electricity. While the ICE cars are still paying it, they have ZERO benefit. Maybe this kind of FIXED FEE would be a way to get ICE cars off of charging spots. You simply provide incentive for them to avoid EV spots!! It also adds to the bottom line of the parking company. You may not completely get rid of ICE cars from using EV spots, but many ICE drivers may want to avoid those spots to avoid paying extra for no benefit.

A combination of signage, added premiums, and warnings that these spots are for EV vehicles, could help this problem.

I think ICE drivers are unaware the spots are for charging, while some don't care. I think we all know parking can be painful, so finding a spot is finding a spot, regardless of what kind of spot it is. Me personally, i don't feel comfortable parking in a spot not meant for my car, but not everyone is the same.

Signage and cones may help, but I'm also wondering, what if cars parked in those spots could be charged a premium?? Let's say $50hkd per hour extra for parking in an EV spot. Now the EV vehicles can take advantage of that because they are charging their vehicles and using the electricity. While the ICE cars are still paying it, they have ZERO benefit. Maybe this kind of FIXED FEE would be a way to get ICE cars off of charging spots. You simply provide incentive for them to avoid EV spots!! It also adds to the bottom line of the parking company. You may not completely get rid of ICE cars from using EV spots, but many ICE drivers may want to avoid those spots to avoid paying extra for no benefit.

A combination of signage, added premiums, and warnings that these spots are for EV vehicles, could help this problem.

Yes and no. Yes extra cost will deter normal drivers but might be good news for the rich who then think $50 more can get them a legal spacious spot.