Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where Would You Suggest Tesla To Build Their Supercharging Stations In Hong Kong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah, I found it odd as well since Kai Tak already has 4. However, there's a lot of green initiatives going on around that area, so won't be surprised if a few more SCs pop up. Kowloon West side needs some SCs as well as airport and maybe one near Kowloon Tong.

I think no need for Kowloon bay, it should be 1 at TKO

I doubt if Tesla would consider TKO, income level .... ? I start to have SC availability anxiety now, I was in Hopewell center last night for a quick 20 minutes, only 2 left when I arrived. About noon today I was first at cruise terminal but when I left after lunch it was all full, there must have been a few disappointed owners!

I doubt if Tesla would consider TKO, income level .... ? I start to have SC availability anxiety now, I was in Hopewell center last night for a quick 20 minutes, only 2 left when I arrived. About noon today I was first at cruise terminal but when I left after lunch it was all full, there must have been a few disappointed owners!

Income level?

I know that superchargers in Hong Kong are not for road trips, but to cater for those of us without the option to charge at home. This means it is natural that the superchargers will be concentrated where most people live. Having said that - now that there are severe locations on HK Island, it's NTs turn. It is not for the bad will of Tesla Motors, or the lack of equipment (that I know of), but rather problems of location, approvals, electric supply and so on. It takes some location to actually want those superchargers. Had I controlled a parking lot or a supermarket, I would surely have had superchargers installed a long time ago.

good things are worth waiting for. But we don't need to wait more, bring on the superchargers!

I think this will be a big problem for many owner now that more and more Tesla are on the road.
I think in a years time even the small chargers in other car parks will be all full too.
The government need to short this out quick.
they should start to put chargers at some meters too like UK not just in carparks.

Income level?

I know that superchargers in Hong Kong are not for road trips, but to cater for those of us without the option to charge at home. This means it is natural that the superchargers will be concentrated where most people live.

Certainly Tesla knows exactly where we live and Wanchai happens to be the "wealthiest district" according to survey by banks/credit card companies therefore we have SC in Hopewell centre and Lee Garden and not yet in TKO/Tuen Mun/Tin Shui Wai .... etc.

When the owner base expands geographically we should see more SC near owners' work districts, e.g. Cyberport, Kowloon Bay (Kai Tak with future biz district expansion) and Science Park (I hope).

Certainly Tesla knows exactly where we live and Wanchai happens to be the "wealthiest district" according to survey by banks/credit card companies therefore we have SC in Hopewell centre and Lee Garden and not yet in TKO/Tuen Mun/Tin Shui Wai .... etc.

When the owner base expands geographically we should see more SC near owners' work districts, e.g. Cyberport, Kowloon Bay (Kai Tak with future biz district expansion) and Science Park (I hope).

I guess I am not wealthy enough. I hope at some stage TM can spare some superchargers other places than just HK Island.

But I don't really think that is the issue. I am sure TM would love to install superchargers all over - but it requires a lot of obstacles to be overcome. There should be plenty of musings here on the forums what it requires to install a supercharger, it's not as simple as TM just decides where they want them.

I'm not one of those lucky ones with home-charging. I have SC availability anxiety now 'cos I charge twice a week. My experience so far is that (1) don't go SC lunch time, slightly early or late is best (2) better luck with Hopewell and Kai Tak. Hotel "W" got a fleet of Tesla (seen 'em in Kai Tak) I don't know how many they have so drivers could also be taking a break anytime of the day charging.

Maybe they should setup a SC @ Kowloon Station / W Hotel.
It is right at the 3-HWY which leads to airport, Shatin and other northwest destinations of HK.
Also save some electricity energy -- eliminate W Hotel cars need to back and forth to Kai Tak.

Tesla have got to act on Kowloon side superchargers soon. I was at the Kai Tak Shperchargers today at 1pm or so and it was full and there was one car waiting. This is on a Tuesday afternoon. They need to add another one or two locations to satisfy demand asap.

West of the Tesla Motors service centre, there is nothing but some BS1363 13A chargers (2 days to charge fully, in case someone didn't know). And even the service centre don't just allow you to come and charge any time you like. I just saw a newsletter that 4 parking spots will be undergoing maintenance on Tuesday, without any further explanation. Those four spots are 2x2, so I could imagine (hope!) it's a charging station, in the middle of all 4. There are already 3 Model S owners in that parking, a BMW i3 and one more Model S and one Model X on the way. Well, the Model X, not exactly around the corner, but the other ones are.

Non-BS1363 chargers as of Dec 2014.jpg

If you filter out the BS1363 13A chargers (2.2 kW / 9 km/h charging) in openchargemap.org, this is all that is left!

One ChaDeMo in Yuen Long, a Roadster charger at the service centre - and then the nearest is Maritime Square where they have a J1772! So unless I use the service centre supercharger, or the BS1363 chargers, my closest option is Kai Tak - which is 35 minutes driving from me by no traffic.

Having written all that - I am confident it is not for lack of equipment or will from Tesla Motors, but a lot of things have to align in order to install a supercharger:

- Physical space for parking spaces, existing or new
- Accessible and sensible location (lots of those)
- Electric grid capacity - each set of two bays require at least 120 kW, maybe even more?
- Willingness from owner/management to have superchargers
- Legal issues

And probably more, that was just off the top of my head.

Tesla Motors cannot just decide where they want a supercharger station - they will have to negotiate many parameters. There are surely many places we could all agree would be very beneficial with superchargers, however, actually managing to installing them in said locations, is a challenge in itself.