Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where's the charging port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind that they sell both left and right hand drive versions for different global markets.
So, unless they move the charge port location too, some of the cars can end up with it on the 'wrong' side.

Point well taken, I can envision Tesla making both left and right front quarter panels versions with the charging port cutout to accomodate either a left or right hand drive vehicle. My concern with the passenger side placement was more to do with the rear side panel mount of either the left or right hand drive version not providing the convience or visual cue of being plugged in as would a front or front side location.

Personally I hope they put the port on the front of the car. It would be a heck of a lot more convenient for garage installation of the power source. We had to run a huge cable down the length of my garage to connect the HPC, and it inconveniently ended up on the far side of the vehicle.
Well, no matter where they put it it's guaranteed to be bad for someone. The current Roadster position is perfect for my home charging. My washer and dryer is in front my my car so having a cord there would be a PITA. My garage already had a 40A circuit on the side wall. I just turned the socket upside down and used some bicycle hooks to run the UMC up and across the ceiling and then down to the charge port. When I leave the plug tucks in with the cord above.

That being said, for public charging it makes sense to put it in the front - no worries about the cord being too short.

Where to put the charging port?

I think Nissan did it right by putting the charging ports on the nose of the car.
Fuel filling at the side of the car makes sense because you are in and out so fast - you dont reverse your way out.
Charging is mostly going to be nose in parking.

I think that Tesla should do the same with the Model S.

They are most likely going to need to put 2 charging ports on every car ( one AC and one DC ), so you can either have 2 little doors like the iMiev or one big door like the Leaf.
I would rather have one big door with both ports under it.
If they are going to have one big door, I think they should consider leaving enough space under the door for 3 charge ports and making each one modular.

Thoughts?

The problem I have with that is I prefer to back in to spots (as long as they are not pull in only). I prefer to do the "work" when I get to the spot then having to worry about looking around and dealing with trying to see past bigger cars. I normally only pull in when I get a pull through, because that is even easier than backing in :biggrin:.

Of course I am just one person and if needed I can pull into spots when needing to charge.

-Shark2k

I think this is how most people are taught to park in Japan (most I've met anyhow), but that doesn't seem to be an issue for the Leaf.

Really? That is interesting (in regards to people being taught to park that way). As I said, it's not like I would need to charge everytime I park, so it's not really like it would be a problem. Also like I mentioned before I would be able to just pull in for those times I do need to charge. And if I don't need to charge I wouldn't be parking in that spot anyway to keep it open for somebody that does need to charge.

-Shark2k

I think this is how most people are taught to park in Japan (most I've met anyhow)...

Casual image search on "Japan Parking Lot" confirms many images of people parking backed in...
parking.jpg

Lately when I took my kids to camps, the parking attendants tend to insist on back in parking saying that if there were some sort of emergency (such as a forest fire) it is quicker to get people out that way.

The cable from my mobile charger ( Nema 14-50 plug ) is about twice the diameter ( 3/4 inch ) of the beefiest regular 110v extension cord I have ( 3/8 inch )
I've never seen a spring rewind cord reel that handles cable that big. The stuff is pretty heavy too, I wouldnt ever want to worry about it falling on me.

Casual image search on "Japan Parking Lot" confirms many images of people parking backed in...

Lately when I took my kids to camps, the parking attendants tend to insist on back in parking saying that if there were some sort of emergency (such as a forest fire) it is quicker to get people out that way.

Yep. I've worked in Puerto Rico off and on over the years & all of the companies I dealt with required (not suggested, but required) all employees to back into spots. It was believed that during a hurricane emergency, evacuation would be easier.

And since getting my Roadster, I find that I back in more and more. I can see traffic before backing in and then no issue with backing out and not being seen.

High-current charging takes pretty thick and heavy copper, I wouldn't want the extra weight ...
Like the one-space vs. two-space issue, I'm willing to have my mind changed...
The TEPCO folks make arguments along these lines for having two ports (since their CHAdeMO connector is not going to be compatible with the SAE proposed hybrid AC DC-fast-charge port).

Plug-In 2010: Two Solutions for DC Fast Charging of EVS Thomas W. Lewis
Mr. Anegawa [of TEPCO] stated that keeping the AC and DC receptacles separate has the advantage of permitting the vehicle OEM to place each receptacle in a location optimum for each charging scenario. For example, the DC receptacle may be located as close as possible to the battery to reduce the length of heavy and expensive cabling needed to support the high currents of a fast charger. But the AC receptacle might be better located elsewhere for easy in-garage charging.
However, I'll point again to the Leaf, which has two separate ports but has them right next to each other.

I'd like to see a CHAdeMO next to that combined Mennekes DC port over here. Covers all the bases*. But then you need to keep both cable runs short.

*elsewhere replace Mennekes with the J1772 DC. Either way CHAdeMO is going to be needed.

It would be easy to put a NEMA14-50 outlet in my garage ceiling; then thread the cable through a spring rewind reel:
Conductix Economy Spring Rewind Electric Cord Reel - Garage Hose Reels at Hose Reel Source

Possible?

Impossible with the item to which you hyperlinked. I had a similar thought which I ultimately abandoned. An intermediate idea I had which I also abandoned was to hang the cord from above using a series of bungie cords. Was more trouble than it was worth. Somewhere in this forum, someone mentioned a garden hose hanger. It is not nearly as slick, but it keeps my cord off the ground.

51QHYN1iXiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: Suncast Garden Hose Hangout, Taupe HH150: Patio, Lawn Garden

At my spot the car is next to the plug and I was worried that a coiled cable might get too hot when plugged in so I went with two garden hose reels next to each other (not plastic). That way there is plenty of air around the casings.