Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where's the charging port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not only was the Design Studio added to the Tesla website but apparently updates to the Model S "Features" section was added.

"Scan the streamlined body panels and you’ll discover that Model S lacks a fuel door. Approach the driver’s side taillight holding a connector and something surprising happens: a triangle opens to reveal a small charge port. The connectors enable, from one Tesla-designed port, rapid charging as well as charging from 240 volt and 120 volt outlets...."

It seems they'll need to offer adapters for this custom Tesla connector for J-1772 and Chademo charging sites.
No idea where you're seeing that :(. I've searched the Features page and can't find any such wording.

Edit: Ah, in the drop down when you hover under model S. Click on Model S and it's not one of the choices on the page after...that page hasn't changed. Tesla really needs a good web master.

Very cool! Can't wait to see that and the door handles tomorrow. Curious to see how "seamless" it all is. I keep picturing my dogs walking up to their doggy doors and it not recognizing their collars. I refuse to stare at my car and bark.

I'm betting that since it's their own design and their own adapter cables, that connections are being re-used on the car side like we've talked about elsewhere. Easier to multiplex when you're not worried about someone else mucking the communications up.

UMC2.0:
umc2_0.jpg

So, I suppose that oval end plugs directly into the pop-out tail-light socket?

Based on the quoted "240-volt outlet....recharged at the rate of 62 miles range per hour" it does NOT support 3-phase. Can't quite tell from the UMC 2.0 picture how many pins on the plug.
European delivery is at least 6 months later than USA. Plenty of time for a three phase.
Ruh-row... I think Eberhard is coming, right?