Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where's the odometer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am at a loss to find the vehicle odometer on my Model X. For legal purposes I have been using Trip Odometer B, which I haven't reset since delivery. The User Manual is no help - it only tells how to get to the Trip Odometers,which I already found. I expected that the vehicle odometer would be omnipresent on the dash like other cars, but that's not the case.

Does anyone know?

Yes. You need to select trips from either the left or right scroll wheels for it to show in the IP. It is odd that it does not show all the time. That's a first for me. It did before the AP IP redesign.
It's worse than just odd. Removing the odometer by default feels very wrong to me, but Tesla seems to think the odometer is optional information.

Your odometer mileage is required at various times by the DMV, insurance companies, etc. and it was completely non-obvious when the 7.0 UI redesign moved it into an optional widget. I'd like to have it on the screen at all times without being forced to give up one of my side slots for it (don't need to see all the other trip stats all the time.) I could bring up the modal About panel on the center console, as Tesla suggested to me, but then the center console apps would be unavailable so that's not a realistic option.

There is a rewarding aspect in noticing when certain driving milestones (like thousand-mile intervals) are reached, and this isn't possible if the odometer isn't present.

• Disagree
Reactions: GoCanes
The odometer should be displayed on the same screen as the trip odometers on the dash. You can also find it by pressing the Tesla logo at the top of the center console screen.

Nope. It's not on either of those screens.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. You need to select trips from either the left or right scroll wheels for it to show in the IP. It is odd that it does not show all the time. That's a first for me. It did before the AP IP redesign.

Found it! It's tiny, but it's there all right, selected from the scroll wheel.

Thanks!

Wow, that's bizarre. I assumed it was the same as the MS IC, where the odometer takes front and center (to many people's chagrin).

Glad you found it.. but I kind of enjoy looking at my odometer daily - I take a weird pride in putting more miles on the vehicle.

Wow, that's bizarre. I assumed it was the same as the MS IC, where the odometer takes front and center (to many people's chagrin).

Glad you found it.. but I kind of enjoy looking at my odometer daily - I take a weird pride in putting more miles on the vehicle.
That's only on pre-autopilot cars. It gets hidden away with the autopilot displays.

With the removal of the odometer from the display, it would be helpful for Tesla to provide warnings when the cars are approaching their recommended maintenance periods. With the odometer always present, you could do that yourselves - not you need to check it manually.

Or they could add the odometer display temporarily when you're starting the car.

There is another place to get the current odometer reading - it's on the bottom of the app's status display for your car, along with the current firmware version.

It used to be on the instrument panel in the earlier software releases.

I believe it was in the Version 7 release that they decided to reduce the amount of information displayed on the bottom of the dashboard and top of the console display, removing the odometer from the dashboard and the time of day from the console display (which was later restored).