TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where's the odometer?

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by FarmerDave, Feb 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

I am at a loss to find the vehicle odometer on my Model X. For legal purposes I have been using Trip Odometer B, which I haven't reset since delivery. The User Manual is no help - it only tells how to get to the Trip Odometers,which I already found. I expected that the vehicle odometer would be omnipresent on the dash like other cars, but that's not the case.

Does anyone know?

2. timf

timf Member

The odometer should be displayed on the same screen as the trip odometers on the dash. You can also find it by pressing the Tesla logo at the top of the center console screen.

3. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Yes. You need to select trips from either the left or right scroll wheels for it to show in the IP. It is odd that it does not show all the time. That's a first for me. It did before the AP IP redesign.

4. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

It's worse than just odd. Removing the odometer by default feels very wrong to me, but Tesla seems to think the odometer is optional information.

Your odometer mileage is required at various times by the DMV, insurance companies, etc. and it was completely non-obvious when the 7.0 UI redesign moved it into an optional widget. I'd like to have it on the screen at all times without being forced to give up one of my side slots for it (don't need to see all the other trip stats all the time.) I could bring up the modal About panel on the center console, as Tesla suggested to me, but then the center console apps would be unavailable so that's not a realistic option.

There is a rewarding aspect in noticing when certain driving milestones (like thousand-mile intervals) are reached, and this isn't possible if the odometer isn't present.

5. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

Nope. It's not on either of those screens.

- - - Updated - - -

Found it! It's tiny, but it's there all right, selected from the scroll wheel.

Thanks!

6. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Wow, that's bizarre. I assumed it was the same as the MS IC, where the odometer takes front and center (to many people's chagrin).

Glad you found it.. but I kind of enjoy looking at my odometer daily - I take a weird pride in putting more miles on the vehicle.

7. timf

timf Member

That's only on pre-autopilot cars. It gets hidden away with the autopilot displays.