Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which are the quietest M3 tyres?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a loan LR for an afternoon, I found it quieter and comfier than my P which is probably not surprising on 18's against 20's. Agree that the noise is disappointing in the Model 3, both wind noise and road noise, one of the few things that does let the car down. The service assistant was saying it's just more noticeable because the car is so quiet which I do not agree with, it's easily as noisy at speed as my last BMW with a diesel engine. Totally agree that it is very road/conditions dependent, on a good smooth road with little or no ambient wind it is perfectly acceptable and it is fairly quiet, but on typical UK roads it is noisy. I also wonder if the suspension plays a part as it find it noisy going over small undulations/potholes even at low speed and also going over cats eyes.
I have both 20's and 18's with the Vredestein Quatrac Pros. I used to have winter tires on the 18's and summers on the 20's. I started with the Vredesteins on the 18's and was so pleased with the low noise that I put them on the 20's as well. Now I only switch to the 18's if I am going on a very long road trip (my 20's are staggered so do affect range a little bit) or if I am expecting some really bad road conditions and I want the extra sidewall. The 20's with the Vredesteins are just a little noisier, but so quiet in general that I can barely hear them at all. Only on really really rough pavement are they noticeable. Hands down the best upgrade and investment I ever made for my Tesla. And I've modded mine a ton!

Reactions: seadog
If you have 18" tires then these might be good at 67db; Hankook Ventus Prime 2 K-115 94W. Not so good on efficiency though. Anyone tried them?
2021-04-18 11_18_45-Clipboard.png

Had a loan LR for an afternoon, I found it quieter and comfier than my P which is probably not surprising on 18's against 20's. Agree that the noise is disappointing in the Model 3, both wind noise and road noise, one of the few things that does let the car down. The service assistant was saying it's just more noticeable because the car is so quiet which I do not agree with, it's easily as noisy at speed as my last BMW with a diesel engine. Totally agree that it is very road/conditions dependent, on a good smooth road with little or no ambient wind it is perfectly acceptable and it is fairly quiet, but on typical UK roads it is noisy. I also wonder if the suspension plays a part as it find it noisy going over small undulations/potholes even at low speed and also going over cats eyes.
I do wonder if there are some bushings in the suspension that are too firm or similar. The suspension does seem to transfer road texture into the cabin just a bit too easily. Lowering your tyre pressure a little (38 PSI?) can help a bit I think, but I believe there is a fundamental design mistake somewhere around this stuff.

Perhaps they sweated the aero details where eg BMW would go after the noise and vibration?

Reactions: MrBadger
I don't suffer with wind but things definitely get noisier approaching 70.

I believe the main reason for this is the lack of sound deadening material in the arches. Compare with the S or X & it's very noticeable...the Model 3 is Teslas 'budget' offering for the masses.

Up to around 40 on a smooth surface is almost silent (YMMV)

I don't suffer with wind but things definitely get noisier approaching 70.

I believe the main reason for this is the lack of sound deadening material in the arches. Compare with the S or X & it's very noticeable...the Model 3 is Teslas 'budget' offering for the masses.

Up to around 40 on a smooth surface is almost silent.
Even at 70 on a new, smooth tarmac its eerily quiet. But then you move off that onto something a little older or rougher and its nasty. or perhaps I just have a good example where the wind noise isn't much! (Once you get to 80 wind is more pronounced, especially into a headwind).

I think people have tried the wheel well mods, and deadening on the frunk side of the wheel wells and it hasn't made a huge difference - see the Bjorn Nyland (SP, really sorry, I'm not a big youtube follower) video with very disappointing results after adding a couple of €1000k's work of deadening to all the traditional places. This is part of the reason I think the problem is deeper - its not panel resonance that is the problem, its vibrations in the frame.

I also think mine feels quieter since I got the coilovers, but that could be the more expensive suspension, being slightly lower, or the very different tracking setup I have now.