Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

which EVSE unit for the garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We currently have a BMW i3 being charged by a clipper creek 32amp unit. I really only want one charging station in the garage. We're expecting X75d in a week. What unit should I get that can charge both cars. Or should I keep separate charging stations and have one just for the tesla? How long does it take for the portable UMC from tesla to charge 10% to 80%? 12 hours? I think that's all I need for our daily commute.

Thanks

If you only want one charging station use your existing clipper creek 32 amp. Your Tesla will come with a J1772 adapter. 10% to 80% on your clipper creek for your X75D should take about 7.5 hours. If you used the portable UMC connected to a NEMA 14-50 outlet it would be about 6 hours.

Personally I have two EVs and prefer having a permanent EVSE for each. We had a Tesla Wall Connector and a J1772 station in our old house for our Model X and LEAF. We just moved and I intend on installing the same setup (while future proofing replacing the LEAF with a Model 3).

Hmmm. UMC runs at 30 - 40 amps, 220 - 240 v. so, maybe 7+ kW. You're talking a 70% charge on a 75 kWh battery, or 50 or so kWh, at 7-8 kW per hour. In my math, that's about 6+ hours.

I figure mine, which runs 32 amps at 240 v does the recharge job in 5 hr most any time, but I don't run it down to 10%.

If I come home from running around before noon, I can pretty much make my regular charge before 3PM when PGE ups their rates, and if I need to do any other errands later, I can.

Thank you every for your replies.

so there's absolutely no reasons I need a tesla wall charger? Any charging unit with the tesla j1772 adapter will do the job? Charging schedule, max 80% limit, etc can all be done on the app or in the X vehicle settings. Is that correct?

Curious, how fast from 10% to 80% with the 72amp option on a 75d or even 90 batter? Thanks

To figure your rate of charge in Miles per Hour MPH, First, keep in mind that the continuous current draw from the charger will be about 10-15% less than the rated amp max. (or look at the real time information in your car to see the amps and volts delivered) Then multiply the amps times the volts to get watts. Figure about 300 -350 watt hours per mile so divide your total watts by that to figure your miles of charge per hour.

One charger is sufficient at my house (MX P100D and MS 85) but I would suggest buying an extra J1772 adaptor. Unless you're Mr Never Forget Anything I could totally see you needing a little charge somewhere and realizing your adaptor is sitting at home on your clipper creek.

If you drive each car to where it's at 20-30% or less state of charge on a regular basis and then need both cars the next day then you might consider a dedicated charger for each.

Thank you every for your replies.

so there's absolutely no reasons I need a tesla wall charger? Any charging unit with the tesla j1772 adapter will do the job? Charging schedule, max 80% limit, etc can all be done on the app or in the X vehicle settings. Is that correct?

Curious, how fast from 10% to 80% with the 72amp option on a 75d or even 90 batter? Thanks
I've charged my previous Model S and my Model X from a Leviton 40a EVSE with the included J1772 adapter for years. There's no reason you need a specific Tesla EVSE other than convenience. Removing the charge handle from the car with a J1772 + Adapter takes two hands as the charge port on the car unlocks when the handshake ends. That requires you to use the trigger on the J1772, which is the only thing keeping the adapter attached to the handle. Weird design.

I'm pretty happy charging my S with a 32 amp 240v GE Wattstation with J1772 adapter. I did buy an extra J1772 adapter so one can stay in my garage with the EVSE and the other can remain with the UMC in the car.

I would be slightly concerned if I had to share a single EVSE between two electric cars. Not ideal, but if disciplined in charging routine, it would probably be okay.