Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which has more rear set headroom; all glass or sunroof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In older cars that had the choice between solid metal roof or the pano roof, there was more rear seat headroom with the pano roof.

The current option choice is all glass or sun roof. The sun roof appear to be the same as the old pano roof.

Which of the current options provides more back seat headroom: all glass or sunroof?

(plz excuse the typo in the thread title)

I would assume they are pretty much the same when it comes to headroom. Since the roof height at the back is predicated on the crossbeam for the hatch, I don't think the two roof options differ in that area. The original solid roof lost headroom because of the inner headliner that took up a few extra inches.

Reactions: jerry33
Seems I can't edit my post.

Just for the record: I choose the glass roof. The reason is that the glass surface is bigger. Also, you miss the ugly bar that runs thru the middle. Also, the Model S-es we have in the company with open roof all leak when it rains heavily, but I guess this will be fixed with new models.

Much better headroom with the All glass roof compared with the Sunroof! In the back seat with the Sunroof I hit my head if I don't lean it inwards towards the middle seat. With the all glass roof - no problem and better headroom. If you measure in the middle of the glass there is probably not much difference, but if you lean back your head against the headrest, the glass roof have more space for your head and also on the upper sides.

What is even more noticeable is the front seats. The headroom is WAY better. If I drive a car with the Sunroof I hit my hair in the roof and really find the bulky fabric part very annoying if I the slightest lean my head to the left. I literally hit my head in the roof. With the glass roof car there is lot's of more space and I can move around my head freely without hitting the roofliner.

In a car with the old solid metal roof, the headroom in the front is better than the Sunroof, but worse in the back. With the all glass roof you get better head space both front and rear. Clearly best of both worlds if you have long passengers.

Also note that you get a bit better headroom in new S cars with the new back seats. The seating position is a bit more concave in the outer seats so you get even more headroom.

All glass roof is EXCELLENT and def my choice if that wasn't clear at this point :D. And I've really spent some time testing out the different options since I'm 6'2 with a long torso.

ps. Seats was the same in all evaluated cars. Front seat at it's lowest position and according to my seating position. Actually when I had my previous S this was one of my biggest concerns with headroom and Sunroof. Now with the all glass roof - no concerns and happy!

Are you sure the seats were the same and in the same position. As said, I had 2 identical Model S in the showroom apart from the roofs. We couldn't find any difference. Maybe from "feel", but not for measurement.

Yes, 100% same positions. The cars I did compare had both the old back seats so that should also be equal.

I was really surprised to read your post because based on my own testing it is a noticeable difference. The difference is bigger in the Front than int he back though. In the back the head can be moved around more freely without hitting the headliner (not the glass) and clearly better in the back with All glass roof.

Last edited: