Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which home wall charger - for a pain free charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I’m starting to look at home wall chargers and was wondering which ones tend to work best with the model 3?

The main things I’m looking for are

- ability to schedule a charge between a given time. (For octopus go)
- hassle free, I just want something that works with no pain.

Am I better off paying extra for a Tesla one? Or are are any adequate grant ones which will do the job just as well?

thanks
Scott

The Tesla one is 'dumb' so won't help with scheduling a charge time.

Typically I guess you're not driving more than the 100-110 miles per day that the 4hr octopus Go window will give you(?). In which case the model 3 can bet set to start charging at a given time (i.e 00:30 for Go) and stop charging at a given charge (e.g 80%) in car or via the app.

For when you need the full 4hours charge; I find on my LR that's an extra ~35% so just set the limit via the app to 35% more than whatever my current state of charge is.

Alternatively, there's an android app made by one of our community here; Charge My Tesla Android App - Looking for Beta testers which facilitates a start and end charge time, I've been using for a couple of months and would recommend.

Reactions: Roy W.
Hi

I’m starting to look at home wall chargers and was wondering which ones tend to work best with the model 3?

The main things I’m looking for are

- ability to schedule a charge between a given time. (For octopus go)
- hassle free, I just want something that works with no pain.

Am I better off paying extra for a Tesla one? Or are are any adequate grant ones which will do the job just as well?

thanks
Scott

Was looking at the EO Mini Pro but the untethered can't be locked and after 3 years they charge a subscription to keep it smart, so watch out for these subscription charges as well.

Considering the Ohme wall charger as that has a dumb mode as well and is a reasonable cost.

I use a wallbox. It is smart but has been reliable for the month I have had it. I have not used the timer as I set the start time in the car for 0030 when economy 7 kicks in and if required can set the charging limit in the app to stop charging before peak rate. You will add 180/200 miles in 7 hours.

I use a wallbox. It is smart but has been reliable for the month I have had it. I have not used the timer as I set the start time in the car for 0030 when economy 7 kicks in and if required can set the charging limit in the app to stop charging before peak rate. You will add 180/200 miles in 7 hours.

Using the timer in the charge point wouldn't work much of the time, anyway, as there is a bug in the Model 3 software that means it will not wake up and start charging when a timed/smart charge point is used to control off-peak charging. It's a nuisance, and something that I hope gets fixed, as leaving the car set to accept a charge as soon as power is made available, and letting the charge point control charging time, is more foolproof for those who charge at different places and times.

Reactions: Banksy888
I’d stay stick to simple stuff, use a TWC (or another dumb charger) and the car’s built in timing.
Then again, I am slightly of the paranoid persuasion...
If you were that paranoid, you’d be driving an old Jag running triple Weber carbs and about as much digital connectivity as a fire hydrant.

I too plumped for a dumb charger. The smart ones just aren’t that smart, and I cant abide clumsy user interfaces. I prefer my digital devices when they just work, with zero delay, almost total lack of failure, and without the need to regularly reboot the things or cure some software glitch. As proof I use the mother-in-law test. If your mother in law can work it and use it, and carry out a first line fix if it all goes wrong, then it’s good enough that it won’t annoy me every single time I come to use it. The Tesla wall charger works every time, is fuss free, and even has a little button on it to open the charge door. It may not seem much, but when I have the dog, the shopping and other stuff in my hands, it’s the difference between me simply plugging it in and thinking nothing more of it, or dropping things and getting mightily annoyed.

As such,

Tesla wall charger, Tesla supercharger, Apple iPad, nest thermostat, coin operated parking meters, Apple TV - All good,
Microsoft Windows pc, Philips Hue lights, Microsoft phones, anything androidy, ‘pay by phone’ parking - All horrendous.

And whiles there’s probably a special place in hell for the person who designed the interface for Pod-point public chargers, the people who came up with Polars charge installation at the Canary Wharf car park can all go boil their heads in cooking oil as far as I’m concerned. What moron puts chargers requiring internet connected phones to access them in a car Park three storeys underground, well outside of even the most tenacious signal, and then doesn’t place any signage whatsoever on how you might be able to initiate a charge. It’s like the bloody Krypton Factor...

(for the uninitiated - first scan for nearby WiFi networks, find the ‘free’ O2 WiFi. Connect, if you can, and then hand over most of your personal data. Swear as it drops the connection - repeatedly. Wait an age for advertising and the inevitable data harvesting to occur, finally gain a connection to the outside world and then load the polar app. Swear again as the app asks you for your email and password as it’s just too dimwitted to allow Apples password management and face/fingerprint recognition to remember either of them for you. Find the correct charger on the app, taking special care to fire up the electron microscope you brought with you to be able to read the chargers unique ident number, typically written in a font small enough to make it more difficult to read than the cooking time on a packet of dried pasta... Initiate charge to unlock charger, wait 2 minutes for request to travel to Polar HQ, which given the response time which is presumably on the outer moons of Saturn. After 2 minutes send request again. After 6 minutes give up and move to another charger. Rinse and repeat, ad infinitum, until you realise it’s now 3 hours since you parked, and one of the Superchargers upstairs probably free by now...)

No wonder people are afraid to take up EV’s...

Last edited:
I've got one of those terrible Rolec chargers that came with our equally terrible 24kwh Nissan Leaf, I have to keep replacing parts init and I've had enough.

So I'm going to go for one of those new Ohme chargers that are fully programmable via the app, also it can auto charge when the £/kwh are below a threshold. We should still be able to get the grant as the Model S is in my name and the Leaf was in wife's name.

Store | Ohme

brainbox.png

Reactions: asherwood
Right now, it seems that no charge point that only turns the charge on or off, or varies the charge rate, simply by changing the advertised charge current/availability to the car via the control pilot signal in the cable, will work reliably with the Tesla Model 3. There is a long-standing bug (Tesla have known of it for over a year now) whereby the car does not reliably respond to a signal from a charge point that charge current is available.

This makes any form of timed charging from a smart charge point pretty much non-functional, if it uses the standard signalling protocol alone to try to schedule charging.

There is a work around, which involves something (may be the charge point) using the Tesla API (via an internet connection) to wake the car up and start/stop a charge. The main snag with this is that it needs to have access to the car owners authorisation credentials, in order to be able to obtain the access token needed to gain secure access through the Tesla API. This is exactly the same as providing your authorisation credentials to the Tesla app, but in this case you would be providing them to a third party, the charge point or control app company. In theory, this would allow that company to have full control of many functions of the car, just the same as in the Tesla app.

Some are OK with letting third parties have their credentials, for example apps like TeslaFi are used by many, and some don't seem concerned about letting others have this access and control information. I'm a bit more circumspect, and I'm not sure I'd want to give my Tesla account details to any third party.

Reactions: Roy W.
That must be a pain in the butt, my Rolej charger practically caught fire after they had used trip switches designed for infrequent use so they burnt out. Not a lot inside these £500 units, nothing more than a posh on/off switch.

The Ohme charger looks good as I can just set a minimum amount of charge to come on when tariffs hit a low amount... which is actually quite a few times during the evening and morning.

The Ohme charger looks good as I can just set a minimum amount of charge to come on when tariffs hit a low amount... which is actually quite a few times during the evening and morning.

Yes, as long as you have a Model S or Model X that should work fine, but probably won't work reliably with the Model 3.

It seems that if the Model 3 is sleeping, it will not wake up and start charging when the charge point turns on. If the Model 3 is fully awake when the charge point turns on then it seems it may start charging.

It is a royal PITA that Tesla haven't got around to fixing this, as one of my charge points is timed to come on and off during the cheap rate period, and the Model 3 refuses to wake up and charge when it's in that mode.