Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeking some advice from Model X owners. If you had the choice, for the same price would you purchase a 2017 P100D or a 2019 Long Range demo? Assuming 20k km and 2k km respectively.

Clearly performance would be a factor, but what about ride quality (new suspension), battery range, interior quality (leather vs. synthetic?), fit and finish etc?

Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks.

Seeking some advice from Model X owners. If you had the choice, for the same price would you purchase a 2017 P100D or a 2019 Long Range demo? Assuming 20k km and 2k km respectively.

Clearly performance would be a factor, but what about ride quality (new suspension), battery range, interior quality (leather vs. synthetic?), fit and finish etc?

Thanks.
I would go for the 2019 Long Range demo for the new suspension and longer range.

Hard to know exactly but here are some
April 2019 major changes The Longest-Range Electric Vehicle Now Goes Even Farther
- new model 3 front motor (PM) and several other changes resulting in >10% range increase
- adaptive suspension (https://www.maxwell.com/solutions/transportation/active-suspension)
- higher charge rate with V3 superchargers
- AP hardware 3 computer

Prior to Aug 2017 do not support sentry mode (and/or TeslaCam?). Sentry Mode: Guarding Your Tesla

Note there are rumours of an interior and battery change but these have supposedly been happening in 6-12 months for the last 2 years or so... probably no battery change till Tesla starts production of their own cells and I suspect these will go to model Y first. There have been hints that model Y will start production late this year and reach volume production late next year. Early production will probably go to employees only like the model 3 but I suspect with no announcement till deliveries have started.

Edit:found date for sentry mode support

Any tesla has mind blowing acceleration, so with either choice you wont be disappointed. I’ve expressed previously that I never understand why buyers pay more for the ‘faster’ tesla to show off once to their friends. I’m sure for some that extra cost is mere small change, but I’d be choosing the latest tech over more acceleration. Even with the less quick version you will still have to control your foot to avoid hurting the back of your head. Also I’ve owned a model S with leather seats and a model S with synthetic seats identical to the X. Without even thinking about it the synthetic seats are far better to live with and keep clean, and more comfy as well. I can’t go back to a fossil fuel car and I think I’d struggle to go back to leather.

Yes, very good point. I guess the depreciation angle isn't exactly transparent ... ie. would an already-depreciated 2017 P100D depreciate slower than a 2019 100D? Outside of the Tesla brand I would say yes, as the depreciation curve is generally steeper at the outset, but I feel with Tesla that the older versions will likely depreciate faster as buyers look for the updated tech.

Yes, very good point. I guess the depreciation angle isn't exactly transparent ... ie. would an already-depreciated 2017 P100D depreciate slower than a 2019 100D? Outside of the Tesla brand I would say yes, as the depreciation curve is generally steeper at the outset, but I feel with Tesla that the older versions will likely depreciate faster as buyers look for the updated tech.
The tesla depreciation is strongly linked to tesla’s strange pricing fluctuations, and the fate of the aussie dollar. Back when the dollar was stomping toward parity I was offered more for my model S than I paid. Not so by the time I sold it.

Thanks.
I feel your struggle ... the heart says performance but the head says range. IMHO: my head usually wins that argument along with the points others have mentioned about the usefulness of performance vs range when it comes to 1. EV's & 2. Tesla! When it comes to real world ownership of EVs - Range is Everything ... unless you're fortunate enough to own one of each in every model of Tesla!

I feel your struggle ... the heart says performance but the head says range. IMHO: my head usually wins that argument along with the points others have mentioned about the usefulness of performance vs range when it comes to 1. EV's & 2. Tesla! When it comes to real world ownership of EVs - Range is Everything ... unless you're fortunate enough to own one of each in every model of Tesla!
Range not critical for everyone. Mine never leaves the city, and using more than 100km in a day would be unusual. Equally as it never leaves city streets with a 60kmh limit performance is also pointless, not that the base models lack power. A lot of people do country drives, and for them range is critical.

Good point! I don't go on long drives often but admit I still get range anxiety when I do. I'm a city hobbit for most part but would love longer range and ludicrous performance for those highway drives ... but that's the inner hoon in me;)

Reactions: Xshe