Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which one to buy RWD or AWD

Which one to buy

• LR AWD

Votes: 51 44.3%
  • LR RWD

Votes: 64 55.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AWD also the potential to be uncorked some day since it is strongly speculated to have the same hardware as the Performance model.

As others have mentioned, it offers a little more forgiveness for drivers that are nailing it in corners and what not.

I live in Austin. I bought AWD strictly for the better performance, when the actual Performance model was just too much more ($10k) to justify. Range wise, for my situation I could get away with a base Nissan Leaf if I had to, so that was a non-factor.

If you're already at the top of your budget, stick with RWD I'd say. If the $2k won't make or break you, then I'd go AWD unless you really *need* that extra 15-20 miles of range.

I live in Austin. I bought AWD strictly for the better performance, when the actual Performance model was just too much more ($10k) to justify. Range wise, for my situation I could get away with a base Nissan Leaf if I had to, so that was a non-factor.

If you're already at the top of your budget, stick with RWD I'd say. If the $2k won't make or break you, then I'd go AWD unless you really *need* that extra 15-20 miles of range.

That's exactly how I felt when I got my AWD too.

Reactions: shifteru
Obviously in Houston that may not be an issue...
We get rain in huge gobs. The AWD is a very nice thing to have in the water, and roads slick from fog/humidity moisture that you'll find towards the coast side of Houston, definitely feels more steady on the road. I wouldn't however call it, or the notable extra quickness on acceleration, critical and there's a real trade-off for about 10% distance on a charge if you're doing long trips or such.

That's what your choice boils down to, Mad , quicker & more steady vs farther. The differences are fairly modest so there probably isn't a wrong answer for you, just a more right one. I took quick & steady, because I really like the feel of AWD in general, predating the Model 3. I know I wouldn't have been unhappy with the RWD, though, because I did test drive that, too.

We only get snow here few times a year - but I've seen cars stuck on the road during snowstorm many times while I passed through in my AWD. Being spared that - even once - makes it worthwhile. I'd never buy a non-AWD car. (And people keep talking about snows - not everybody wants to change wheels twice a year, and even though we have a garage - I don't have space to keep spare set of wheels, much less for the 2 cars we own).

Apart from the above - the performance of M3 LR AWD is simply awesome. I did realize lower models may not necessarily give you that feeling. I never test-drove RWD so don't know. But I wouldn't trade down. That performance is what puts a smile on my face - and why I drive the M3 as often as I do and not our other car.

I own an AWD 19” rims and a LR RWD Aeros. The RWD is the trip car. It gets about 50 miles greater range. The steering on the RWD feels slightly better I.e. more sports car like. The RWD is quieter. The AWD has some (small) front motor whine. The traction control is amazing. The Mustang and Genesis would spin wheels where the RWD 3 is fine. Even in the mountains the RWD has had plenty of power.

The AWD corners faster (tires) and is a lot quicker. I wish I had gotten the Performance but it was about $15K more. The AWD has tons of excess power.

If you are trying to climb an icy hill I am sure the AWD is better. I haven’t had it in snow but suspect there are big AWD advantages.

A lot of the range difference is due to tires. I don’t know what an AWD on Aeros would do.

Both cars are wonderful. The AWD is my fun daily driver. The RWD is our trip car.

Which is better for you is a personal thing.

I own an AWD 19” rims and a LR RWD Aeros. The RWD is the trip car. It gets about 50 miles greater range.
Both cars are wonderful. The AWD is my fun daily driver. The RWD is our trip car.
Which is better for you is a personal thing.

Exxxact same scenario: we have AWD/19 and LR RWD/ aeros. I agree totally with SR22pilot. We had 2 big snows and they both were fabulous in the snow.

I am wondering if the value of the RWD on the second hand market will be better than the AWD since it is not going to be available any more ?
If it is the case, it might be something to add in the decision making process.
That’s a really good question. Here in MA we have excise tax in addition to sales tax. Since my MVPA said 2018 build I got a pretty big break on that. By my calculations, I saved 500 bucks. Takes a little sting out of what I paid. In my case, Tesla not having model years was a good thing.

LR RWD is actually rated for 335 miles. 25 miles of extra range is worth it if you’re not in a snowy climate.

Also, IMO when they discontinue the LR, it’ll be worth more on the second hand market especially when you do the net calculation of what you saved compared to what you sell for.