Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Phone Do You Use As A Key?

Which Phone Do You Use As A Key?

• Android - it works 100%

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • Android - it works most of the time

Votes: 30 14.2%
  • Android - it’s not very reliable

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • iPhone - it works 100%

Votes: 104 49.3%
  • iPhone - it works most of the time

Votes: 21 10.0%
  • iPhone - it’s not very reliable

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I use the keycard all the time

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I use the Tesla key fob

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other than the one time I had to wipe the app data on my battered and dying old Wileyfox phone (so phone was no longer registered as a key) not had a problem that I recall. Occasionally I get a "Tap your key card..." message on the car screen when I pull the handle but a second pull almost straight away and it opens up, I think these occasions have been down to me approaching the car a bit to quick for the Bluetooth to be registered as "in range" when I try the first time, or possibly being in the Bluetooth antenna shadow --- is it in the nearside wing mirror?

The only annoyance I have with the phone-as-key is the need to open the app to unlock the chargeport in the morning, my understanding is that the fob does not help with this either? Plan is to upgrade the connector on the Rolec with a Tesla button in the summer when it's nicer weather to be tinkering in the garage...

Generic Android question doesn't answer the critical issue of which Android version on which Android phone.

Both my wife and I use Pixel 3XL with Android 10, and we also have a Pixel, also with Android 10, as a backup phone, which works well.
That’s very true, but I didn’t think it worthwhile having 50 options to choose from to cover the different manufacturers and versions.

Reactions: MrBadger
Wondering how meaningful the results will be. I had one ‘failure’ so chose most of the time but I suspect others with only one failure might choose works 100%. If I did mine as a percentage and rounded it up, it would be 100%..

For Android Users....

Android 9 introduced aggressive battery optimisation for most apps by default. If your Tesla app takes a while to connect to the car or sometimes fails, you may want to try forcing the app to stay awake, by not optimising it.

1. Open Settings
  2. Search for 'Optimise Battery Usage'
  3. Click 'Optimise Battery Usage' in the Special Access Menu
  4. Change 'Apps Not Optimised' to 'All'
  5. Search or scroll for Tesla
  6. Ensure the toggle is off
Hope this may help someone.

Different app

Ah ok, to save me trudging through the minutiae - can someone explain why it’s worth £19.99 that would be the mostest I’ve paid for an app ever! Kinda tempted to stick with waiting the 2 seconds for the standard app to open, respond, etc.

Edit: Missed it earlier in the thread..... it works with the Apple Watch - say no more, I’ll take one, no need to wrap it!

Android here. I've had a couple of occasions where the phone didn't work as a key and I used the key card instead. Think I had to restart my phone to make it work again (pretty sure cycling airplane mode on/off didn't help.) On most occasions it works fine.

Yup this annoyed me too, I now use the Tesla Remote app and tell Siri to do it instead

Unfortunately if I do it from the house, by the time I've walked to the garage and to the car the damn thing has locked itself again so I have to fish my phone out and wait for the app to figure out why it's not in WiFi range of the house anymore, scroll to "Charging" and stab at "Unlock Chargeport" with one hand.

It's usually at this point that the GPS search completes and loads up the list of nearby Superchargers and bumps the button I was trying to press up so I press "Close Chargport" by mistake. Now I get a spinning timer followed by an error pop-up that I have to clear before trying again. First world problems...

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB
Generic Android question doesn't answer the critical issue of which Android version on which Android phone.

Both my wife and I use Pixel 3XL with Android 10, and we also have a Pixel, also with Android 10, as a backup phone, which works well.
The best way to have it. Whilst I think iPhones are grossly over priced, you can't argue with their quality and reliability. Android, whilst having the lion share of the market, only really works in its raw form in my opinion. That is, a standard Android on a Google phone; no HTC/LG/Samsung/OnePlus crap/bloatware. It's really the only fair way to compare Apple vs Google in my experience.

And in keeping on topic, I haven't got my LR yet so I won't vote, but I'll be using my Pixel XL (Android 10) and the key card in my wallet as a backup. The girlfriend will be doing the same, but her phone is a Hauwei P10 with Android 9 I believe.

Reactions: Roy W.