Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which tires should chains go on when you have AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

That was me yesterday in the white LR RWD as you were wrapping up your session.

We drove up that morning and drove home that same night before the current storm hit. Decided not to install chains since the snow on the road was patchy with long stretches of dry pavement. Made it up and down without issue on stock MXM4 with 5/32” tread remaining.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
There is more clearance for chains in the rear so I put them on the rear (it had been R3, chains required on all vehicles, and I didn't get the memo that the requirement had been lifted). Also the AWD algorithm seems to apply torque to the rear wheels first until they slip.

Memo: R3 ended sometime mid-week and it’s been a combo of R1 on 395 and R1/R2 on 203.

Really, just get winter tires of you are going to drive in these conditions. It is much safer for everyone, and X-Ice are rated for 50k... They run well in the Bay Area when not on the mountains.
Driving X-ice tires in 75 degree weather , which we regularly see in the winter, seems a little silly and possibly dangerous. Best option would probably be Michelin CrossClimate all-weather tires. The MXM4s work fine getting up to Mammoth on the 395, it's not very steep at all.

Reactions: remlemasi
395 had posted R3 requirements as Mammoth was getting dumped on.

The Chains that is sold by Tesla is made for all variants, RWD, AWD, levitation, etc.

When installed correctly, the chains had zero impact on the clearances and the mechanical/electrical components in the wheel well as they are designed to hub your tires like a warm bear hug.

When installed correctly, the chains had zero impact on the clearances and the mechanical/electrical components in the wheel well as they are designed to hub your tires like a warm bear hug.
From the pictures that doesn't seem possible. The chains are touching the rim.
Admittedly I used a different brand of chain (Z6-chain) but they did scratch my rims. Not really a big deal, they're my winter/road trip rims, but something to keep in mind.

Admittedly I used a different brand of chain (Z6-chain) but they did scratch my rims. Not really a big deal, they're my winter/road trip rims, but something to keep in mind.

I know that looks can be deceiving, but Tesla did their homework on this one.

Any part of the chains that touch the rim is all covered in resin plastic which is pretty strong.

The days where you have to move your car over the chains are gone with this setup.

Its literally a latch cable system that pulls the chains nice and tight against the wheels with zero slack, the chains will actually get even more tight as you drive.

I was worried about the speed limit with chains on, and at first I was skeptical, but after hitting 45-55mph in ice/snow covered roads, you could barely hear the chains(crazy right??) and it seems that the faster you went, the quieter the chains got.

At slow speeds, you could heard the distinctive chain wobble.

I even checked the bumper/fenders for any marks or damage, and there were literally none.

My advice for putting on/taking off the chains
- Always have thin insulated waterproof gloves( they look like they have been dipped in rubber.)
- Always carry some water with you so you can wash your chains prior to you storing them.
- Take your time and follow the instructions to put on and take the chains off. Dont make assumptions that you know how to operate those cause chains if installed incorrectly could damage your car pretty badly and Tesla says this in their road service, that any chain damage is not covered, not even for the tow.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile

I was going back and forth on getting Super Z6 (SZ139) but I chickened-out and just placed an order for the "official" Pewag Servos (RS 76). I was 99% confident that it would be fine, but I read too many horror stories about Super Z6 wrecking Model S lower control arms back when they were still officially recommended (before Tesla switched to recommending only Trak Sport).

I take it you didn't have any issues with inside clearance? There is a lower control arm that gets pretty close to the inside wheel lip at 6 o'clock. I wasn't sure how far the Super Z6 would encroach when tightened up. Does it sit flush against the inside tire? Does it go past the tire rubber and cover any part of the inside wheel lip?

I was going back and forth on getting Super Z6 (SZ139) but I chickened-out and just placed an order for the "official" Pewag Servos (RS 76). I was 99% confident that it would be fine, but I read too many horror stories about Super Z6 wrecking Model S lower control arms back when they were still officially recommended (before Tesla switched to recommending only Trak Sport).

I take it you didn't have any issues with inside clearance? There is a lower control arm that gets pretty close to the inside wheel lip at 6 o'clock. I wasn't sure how far the Super Z6 would encroach when tightened up. Does it sit flush against the inside tire? Does it go past the tire rubber and cover any part of the inside wheel lip?
They overlap the rim on the outside. I guess I should have looked at the inside and the clearance to the suspension links. Did the chains fail or did they just not have enough clearance? They're super easy to put on and were only $68 open box from Amazon.
e669nMOsRgSbX1vFpC8kMA.jpg

They overlap the rim on the outside. I guess I should have looked at the inside and the clearance to the suspension links. Did the chains fail or did they just not have enough clearance? They're super easy to put on and were only $68 open box from Amazon.View attachment 376485

Yeah, I use them for our RAV4 and love them, which is why I was considering getting them for the Model 3. Also much cheaper than Pewag Servos!

Regarding the failures on the Model S, the inside of the Super Z6 made contact with some suspension components and wore them down, necessitating costly repairs.

I still own a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. Both Model 3 AWD and Jeep do equally well in the snow with equally good snow tires.
I wouldn't hesitate to go out in either. But if I need clearance I take the Jeep. Especially with the adjustable suspension which I do use on occasion. Like parking in half plowed spot ;)
I'd hate to get high-pointed on my LR-D. It'd be like getting high-pointed on a full skid pad, when it does happen with snow it happens everywhere, and there's a lot less room to shovel out under a Model 3. :confused:

The pictures on Tesla's website show metal chain touching the rims... And plastic will still scratch paint. I'm skeptical.

I just got my wheels colors changed and dipped in ceramic coat, trust me when I say I’m super OCD with wheels haha.

The chains, when I installed them correctly, fit nice and tight over the rubber tires and hovered over the face of the wheels

I just got my wheels colors changed and dipped in ceramic coat, trust me when I say I’m super OCD with wheels haha.

The chains, when I installed them correctly, fit nice and tight over the rubber tires and hovered over the face of the wheels
The lip on the stock 18" sticks out past the tire. It really looks like the chain its touching the lip:
1130320-00-A_0.jpg

Reactions: ℬête Noire