Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which tires should chains go on when you have AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like an easy question but I haven't been able to get a definitive answer from anyone!

I have a M3AWD w/ regular stock 19in all-season tires. If I need to put on the approved Pewag Tesla chains, which tires do they go on? The front or the rear?

In the manual it tells you to put them on the rear only, NOT the front. However the guys at the Tesla service center told me to put them on the front because those are the drive tires and the manual is referring to M3RWD. I've heard multiple contradictions since and no one seems to know for certain.

Getting snowy in Tahoe, just trying to plan ahead!

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The instructions are pretty clear irrespective of which variant of car you have, rear wheels only. This makes sense for the 3 since it is the rear drive that is the primary drive since it is more efficient and cant be put to sleep as easily as the front induction motor.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
The instructions are pretty clear irrespective of which variant of car you have, rear wheels only. This makes sense for the 3 since it is the rear drive that is the primary drive since it is more efficient and cant be put to sleep as easily as the front induction motor.
Interesting point. I wonder how long it takes for the front motor to kick in when traction loss is registered.

88750CFA-9B33-4AD9-B641-42700CB1042C.jpeg

Have you heard that when specifically talking about M3AWD? And was it someone knowledgable that you heard it from?

Thanks,
I know how much clearance there is on the front wheels of the AWD with 18" Aeros. It's tight, like maybe 12mm (little under 1/2") from the tip of the suspension arm hanging over the inside portion of the tire. I'd be scared to put chains on that, and the 19" stock tires are actually slightly taller than the 18". Thinner chains/cables would fit when tight but with the wheels spinning a bit and the chains getting a bit of slack that'd be pretty easy to catch on there I think?

There is more clearance for chains in the rear so I put them on the rear (it had been R3, chains required on all vehicles, and I didn't get the memo that the requirement had been lifted). Also the AWD algorithm seems to apply torque to the rear wheels first until they slip.

The chains that Tesla sells is pretty legit and self tightening. Makes putting on chains a 5 min process.

I know how much clearance there is on the front wheels of the AWD with 18" Aeros. It's tight, like maybe 12mm (little under 1/2") from the tip of the suspension arm hanging over the inside portion of the tire. I'd be scared to put chains on that, and the 19" stock tires are actually slightly taller than the 18". Thinner chains/cables would fit when tight but with the wheels spinning a bit and the chains getting a bit of slack that'd be pretty easy to catch on there I think?

The chains that Tesla sells is pretty legit and self tightening. Makes putting on chains a 5 min process.
If they don't "fit" by spec on the RWD I wouldn't put them on the front of AWD (D or P). The D has the same clearance as the RWD. I don't have firsthand experience with the P the precise geometry may be a touch different because it is slightly lowered but I don't know which way, if any, that would affect this here.

The only parts different on the AWD are further in, that arm that hangs over the wheel is that same part with the goofy tie-wrapped on weight, and the D sits the same as the RWD.

You might not be travelling up here much. Depending on the road conditions, chains might be required regardless of all-wheel drive or not. Often if the car doesn't have snow tires AND AWD, chains are required.
You’re right, we only rarely visit the Eastern Sierra or Mammoth during the winter. Here in the SoCal mountains (not too far from Big Bear), we don’t see R-3 designations as often, where chains are required on all vehicles. R-2 is much more common, in which case Dual Motor cars with the stock M+S tires and chains in the car are enough to pass the checkpoints (that’s not to say that “real” snow tires aren’t a good idea).

I appreciate knowing, from @mobilesuit818 above, that the chains sold by Tesla are user friendly. I haven’t had occasion to use them yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Not a specific answer, but I just got back from a romp up into Big Bear Mountain. Went through the charins required section. They allowed me to go up in the X as it has AWD and M/S tires. Said that State requires you to carry chains but that conditions that day were not that severe and were allowing AWD/4WD vehicles to proceed. Said that often people with AWD were getting up to the mountain, but that conditions sometimes worsened and they were out of control coming down without chains.

Not sure anyone would be able to make an absoulute call on putting a single set of chains on 4WD vehicles. Seems like putting them on the front would be best going up the mountain for steering and traction, but on the rear for coming down the hill to maintain stability and control.

On a side note, before I got my X I owned several Jeep Grand Cherokees. The AWD system of the Tesla is heads and shoulders above any of those. The easy and simple way the Tesla makes it way up and down, through slippery mud, snow and ice are amazing.
Elon has really put some magic into their all electrice drive system.

On a side note, before I got my X I owned several Jeep Grand Cherokees. The AWD system of the Tesla is heads and shoulders above any of those. The easy and simple way the Tesla makes it way up and down, through slippery mud, snow and ice are amazing.
Elon has really put some magic into their all electrice drive system.

I still own a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. Both Model 3 AWD and Jeep do equally well in the snow with equally good snow tires.
I wouldn't hesitate to go out in either. But if I need clearance I take the Jeep. Especially with the adjustable suspension which I do use on occasion. Like parking in half plowed spot ;)