Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which tires should chains go on when you have AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Daniel in SD @mobilesuit818 let's just agree to disagree and talk about...

I was looking at the front suspension last night and the knuckle wraps around the top portion of the tire and the upper ball joint reaches over the tread quite a bit. Not much clearance at all. Photo below for illustration purposes only.

tesla-smart-air-suspension.jpg

Even just a *slightly* loose chain would start grinding away at the knuckle and leave you stranded with a huge repair bill. Rear only!

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: ℬête Noire

No. But do they run faster than chains? I hate to see traffic being slowed down by cars with chains or alike. :p

BTW, not to provide a specific answer to OP, but the AWD systems in Tesla cars are great and you shouldn't need to really put them on. My wife says if Caltran are diligent enough like Utah DOT, Californian should be free of chains.

No. But do they run faster than chains? I hate to see traffic being slowed down by cars with chains or alike. :p

BTW, not to provide a specific answer to OP, but the AWD systems in Tesla cars are great and you shouldn't need to really put them on. My wife says if Caltran are diligent enough like Utah DOT, Californian should be free of chains.

My cousin was up at Snowbird last week and they closed down the road back to SLC. He was snowed in for a few hours even with his AWD Subaru and proper snow tires. No state DOT can possibly be so diligent that roads are clear 100% of the time and able to be driven safely with AWD and all-seasons. When California (and any other state) goes to R3 (chains required, no exceptions) it’s because there is a crap-ton of snow and it’s falling faster than it can be cleared.

224 crashes statewide as Utah sees winter's first major snowstorm

@Daniel in SD @mobilesuit818 let's just agree to disagree and talk about...

I was looking at the front suspension last night and the knuckle wraps around the top portion of the tire and the upper ball joint reaches over the tread quite a bit. Not much clearance at all. Photo below for illustration purposes only.

tesla-smart-air-suspension.jpg

Even just a *slightly* loose chain would start grinding away at the knuckle and leave you stranded with a huge repair bill. Rear only!
Yup, that's where the roughly 12mm clearance gap I was talking about is for the 18" MXM4s. Slightly less for the stock 19" and 20". I'd gotten in for a rough measurement when I was picking out summer tires, to make sure I wasn't risking rubbing.

It definitely has more clearance off to the side on the top inside corner of the stock 18" tires. I don't know how much wider people's snow tires are than the rather narrow tread MXM4s, or how much more clearance the chains & auto-tightener apparatus needs on the inside of the tire, though.