Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WhiteStar styling ideas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Along with the concern that the tail-lights are too flush with the bumper (easy to crack in a low speed accident?), doesn't it seem like the license plate isn't recessed deep enough? Regulations call for lights to illuminate the plate at night. Is there really enough depth for something to shine onto the plate?

Maybe they're going to use LEDs... :confused:

2009 Nissan 370z:
medium_2983356649_eb86c22acc_o.jpg

medium_3006840648_01856ebd1c_o.jpg

Last edited:
I was passed on 101 today by an Infiniti FX50S (with distributor plates, so I think it might be a brand new model).

inffx_50_09_11_gallery_image_large.jpg

infinitifx502wd0.jpg

Continuing the trend of trying to disguise SUVs as sports sedans.

I think we keep falling back to Nissan/Infiniti (370Z, FX50S, G37, etc.) comparisons because the Model S teaser photo has similarities:
#1: They have the rear underbody diffuser design which Tesla uses.
#2: They have metal accents around the license plate frame.
#3: They have angular tail lights mounted up high somewhat flush with the bumper.
#4: Sloping/hatchback styling.

Last edited:
I was passed on 101 today by an Infiniti FX50S
Continuing the trend of trying to disguise SUVs as sports sedans.

As someone who was forced to give up my sporty car and get an SUV for carrying work equipment, I went for the FX. It really drives great. Hard on the passenger though because it's ride is so stiff. Would trade back in a second or get another (impractical) sports car if I could afford/park two vehicles.

If Model S goes that way I will be pleased but that style line under the bumper of the teaser shot is sharper than anything on my rounded car.

That is just so many different types of W-R-O-N-G that I threw up a little in my mouth and couldn't tell what the regurgitated matter was.

Personally though, I like the styling of the BMW CS, but the thing about being an automaker, IMO, that is the originator/is at the forefront of an industry's new/emerging technology is that's it's hard to decide on particular body styling cues when you're literally immersed with input from so many different venues.

It is particularly irksome when what your goal should be is not to follow the pack, but rather devise your own concept, one that sets you apart from the others while clenching your spot in the automotive market at the same time...instead of running with the mainstream, you should decide what it is because part and parcel of designing the future is shaping it as well.

Admittedly, inevitably the technology will eventually have to be distributed/shared openly all across the automotive spectrum and all around the World out of the necessity of preserving our ecology, but what Tesla needs do now is make a statement for itself and to do this they need to devise their own platform instead of borrowing the styling cues of another automaker...I personally cannot wait to see what they come up with.

Last edited:
Some words about Whitestar's styling in this article: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/news-articles-events/1958-highly-charged-wsj-article.html#post15885

...von Holzhausen yanked the canvas from the car, all surrounding objects were upstaged by the black machine. It looked strong and a little scary, with a stern grill between its keen headlight eyes. Von Holzhausen understands that to colonize your driveway a car must colonize your dreams.

WhiteStar, he says, is “Lance Armstrong, lean, taut, a winner—not bloated, with muscles only for show.” The car is as aero*dynamic as stretched spandex.

The Rapide looks gorgeous, but after what they've said the backseat on the Model S should be a lot bigger. Which again means they need some design trick after Tesla have "broken" the fine lines on the Rapide :) I am getting pretty curious on both design and final specs on the Model S. My birthday is around the middle of february, that sounds like a good date for revealing..

Cobos

Has this been done yet?

I had never seen this before. In fact, I was shocked it was a Ford!

According to Wikipedia, it was a European only (or at least Euro-centric) concept car:
The Ford Iosis is a four-door, four-seat sedan concept car developed by Ford of Europe. It first saw publicity at the 2005 Frankfurt Motor Show. Along with the Ford SAV (shown earlier that year at the Geneva Auto Show), it was designed to showcase the dynamic new design direction Ford intends to pursue for the European market

It sounds like they never moved this into production beyond the car show.